[net.origins] Earth-age estimates & Origins Education

jho@ihuxn.UUCP (Yosi Hoshen) (11/26/84)

From: Martin Taylor

>I conclude that Q-Bick (what an appropriate pseudonym) has neither
>interest nor appreciation of elementary physics.  It is this kind
>of argument that leads me to answer Paul Dubois that indeed, creationists
>should NOT be allowed to determine how their children are schooled.
>The children should not be punished by a denial of their potential
>heritage, simply because their immediate family glories
>in their ignorance.

I agree with Martin that creationist don't seem (or don't want) to
understand the basic sciences and the scientific methodology.

I strongly disagree with Martin's next statement that creationists
should not be allowed to determine their children's education.
Although providing a proper science education is very important
for an individual,  we should not try to force scientific theories on
those who find these theories offensive.  As we are not dealing here
with a life threatening situation, or a total deprivation of education,
I think that infringing on the right of parents to educate their
children is unjustified.

If creationist would tell us that some aspects of modern science
are offensive to their religion, we should be trying to help them
rather than scoff at them.  Creationists' children should not be
required to take science classes or section of classes that
they find offensive. I know that this a tough choice. Yet, I feel
that a pluralistic society  should find  ways to accommodate the
special educational needs of the creationists' children  without,
at the same time, destroying science education for the rest of us.

The creationists are not blameless in this situation.  They
are trying to impose their "science" on the public education system.
Instead of developing a coherent scientific theory that is acceptable
to the majority of scientists, they are attempting to advance
creationism through legislation. The way to advance  a scientific
theory is to convince the scientific community that the theory is
valid.  By attempting to legislate creationism, creationists are
undermining their credibility within the scientific community.  If
you want to advance a new theory, do not expect scientists to
take you seriously, when you are simultaneously trying to promote
your theories via legislation.  When Darwin, Schroedinger, and
Einstein introduced new revolutionary theories, they did not ask for
the acceptance of their theories by legislators, school boards,
or the uneducated public.  These new theories became the accepted
standard, because the majority of scientists agreed that the theories
consistently and adequately explain the observed scientific data.

To sum up, I think that creationist children should not be
required to attend classes that they deem offensive to
their religion.  At the same time, we should make sure that
creationists will not force pseudo-science into the science
classroom.
--

Yosi Hoshen
Bell Laboratories