[net.origins] Dark Ages

danw@oliven.UUCP (danw) (11/29/84)

[]

 Subject: Creationists are not stupid
 Ok creationists are not stupid. At least not in a way that can
 be measured with something as crude as a Stanford-Binet I.Q.
 test.
  The question i would like to see addressed is:
 			Are they dangerous?
 ( Did the dark ages just happen?
   Did many of these well meaning, but frightened, individuals knowingly
   help further the development of this ideological holocaust ?
   Could thinking people haved stopped it?
   Could it happen again?  )
 						danw

>Your questions are provoking.  Would you please expand on them a bit
so I more clearly see the direction of your argument?  In what way do
you see creationists as directly responsible for the dark ages?  Yes,
I know that the Roman Catholic Church (RCC) and its hierarchy were
creationists and promulgated the Inquisition which was in large part
the cause of the dark ages.  However, it was not that they believed
that God created the universe that motivated any of that (misguided)
endeavor.

The prime motivation behind the repression of the budding scientific
community was their fear of loss of control over the community at
large, which has since happened.  The problem was caused by power
politics (God save us from all theocracies!) practiced by a group (the
church) that should never have gotten into that area of human
endeavor.

I believe that a little thought will show that conditions today are
sufficiently different to render your argument unsupportable.  I look
forward to reading your reply (presumably to the contrary).

>       				Blessed Be,

>               	        	Xxxx Xxxx

Granted , the creationists were no more directly responsible for the
dark ages, than the hitler youth was directly responsible for
the holocaust.

This does not mean we should encourage the hitler youths of the future.

My point is the creationists ,while individually peaceful, are part of
a larger movement that holds the greatest threat to personal liberties
and civilization that can  possibly be imagined.
Contemplating the possible emergence of a technological based THEOCRACY
has got to be the ultimate libertarian nightmare.
This is not the benign and comic philosophy of say the Flat Earth Society.

The efforts of these people to force their will via the legislatures, and
school boards MUST be opposed at all costs.

The cost of freedom is eternal vigilantes.

Those that believe " a little thought will show that conditions today are
sufficiently different to render your argument unsupportable."
Are doomed to repeat the histories of Germany , Spain and Iran.

A return to the dark ages is possible when enough people are , apathetic
, don't think it's possible , or work to make it possible.
(We have plenty of the former and the later. It is to those who don't
think it isn't possible that i make my appeal)

	People laughed at the hitler youth.
	People laughed at the Iatola Kolmanie (sp)
	People are laughing at the creationists.

For g*ds sake, take these people seriously, they deserve to be
taken seriously.

							danw

esk@wucs.UUCP (Eric Kaylor) (12/01/84)

[]
>  ( Did the dark ages just happen?
>    Did many of these well meaning, but frightened, individuals knowingly
>    help further the development of this ideological holocaust ?
>    Could thinking people haved stopped it?
>    Could it happen again?  )
>  						danw
>
> I know that the Roman Catholic Church (RCC) and its hierarchy were
> creationists and promulgated the Inquisition which was in large part
> the cause of the dark ages.  However, it was not that they believed
> that God created the universe that motivated any of that (misguided)
> endeavor.
>							????
>
> Granted , the creationists were no more directly responsible for the
> dark ages, than the hitler youth was directly responsible for
> the holocaust.
> 							danw

Just a historical note here.  At least in my history books, the dark ages
are referred to as the time from the fall of Rome to the early medeival
period, i.e. 500-1200.  Far from having 'caused' the dark ages, the church
was probably one of the few factors that saved much of civilization during
this time of turmoil.  The inquisition was mostly a factor during the late
medeival and rennaissance periods.  Although organized religion has been
responsible for many problems, the dark ages are not one of them.

							Eric Kaylor
							ihnp4!wucs!esk

scott@normac.UUCP (Scott Bryan) (12/01/84)

In article <> danw@oliven.UUCP (danw) writes:

> Subject: Creationists are not stupid
>  The question i would like to see addressed is:
> 			Are they dangerous?
> ( Did the dark ages just happen?
>   Did many of these well meaning, but frightened, individuals knowingly
>   help further the development of this ideological holocaust ?
>   Could thinking people haved stopped it?
>   Could it happen again?  )
> 						danw
>
>Your questions are provoking.  Would you please expand on them a bit
>so I more clearly see the direction of your argument?  In what way do
>you see creationists as directly responsible for the dark ages?

YOU WANT EXAMPLES ...

How about India TODAY!   Or are we restricted to talking about YOUR religion.
No religion isn't killing anyone directly, but somehow a whole hell of a lot
of people have died in it's name, and that's close enough for me to wonder
why a personal belief (that noone can take away from you anyway) is worth
dying, killing, or even arguing about?

Can't religious people understand that its insulting for other religious
people to be told about the wonders of their religion.  It's like being called
an idiot for not seeing a wonderful beautiful thing right in front of you and
for believing in blasphemy.  If I were religious that would probably be grounds
for hating someone.

In liu of this and the fact that religion is an incredibly personal experience
in any case, I fail to see why the truly religious person wouldn't consider
the most reasonable position to be to keep their religious beliefs a secret
or something to be shared between close friends.

Scott Bryan

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (12/02/84)

In article <wucs.528> esk@wucs.UUCP (Eric Kaylor) writes:

>Just a historical note here.  At least in my history books, the dark ages
>are referred to as the time from the fall of Rome to the early medeival
>period, i.e. 500-1200.  Far from having 'caused' the dark ages, the church
>was probably one of the few factors that saved much of civilization during
>this time of turmoil.  The inquisition was mostly a factor during the late
>medeival and rennaissance periods.  Although organized religion has been
>responsible for many problems, the dark ages are not one of them.

Agreed, the Roman Church didn't 'cause' the dark ages, the sources of that
long period of human stagnation are too complex to lay on one component of
civilization.  It can, in fact, be said to have 'saved' civilization -- if
by that you mean locked up and threw away the key.  The Church was simply
more interested in spreading Christianity than knowledge.  While much was
maintained in monastary libraries, it was generally inaccessible to any
but certain of the church heirarchy.

If any group can be said to have saved civilization for a time, it is the
Moslems (notably the Abassiaean Caliphs) who maintained and expanded on
Greek philosophy, developed algebra, and built the foundations for what
we now know as science.  Unfortunately, we can also hold the Caliph of
Egypt responsible for the burning of the library at Alexandria, clearly
one of the great losses in history.

Both cases are illustrative of the problem when religious forces take
complete control of the educational system.  Knowledge gets somehow
divided into to categories -- heretical and orthodox.  To paraphrase
the rationale behind the burning of the Alexandrian library, "if it
isn't in the inerrant-book-of-your-choice, it's heretical.  If it is
in the interrant-book-of-your-choice, it's redundant."

One has to be very careful in pointing to creationism as the possible
precursor to a 'new Dark Ages' (which is, I think, what we're talking
about here.)  I've seen little evidence that creationists actually
want to destroy knowledge by burning books (though there is some, which
frightens me.)

The real danger of the creationist goal, the teching of creationism
side-by-side with evolution in the school, is the dilution of discipline
in scientific inquiry.  More than a collection of hypotheses, facts
and relationships, the conduct of science is a way of thinking about
the natural world which requires self-discipline in proceeding from a
set of stated assumptions to a set of tentatively drawn conclusions.
Along the way there are lots of hurdles, pitfalls, shortcuts and
reasonably subtle traps which one needs to become aware of and avoid.

My experience has been that most creationists and many evolutionists
are really unaware of scientific conduct and its implications.  I
attribute this to massive failures already in the educational system
in teaching science as a way of thinking.  Were the conduct of science
well-taught in schools then I would have absolutely no objection to
the teaching of creationist principles.  Unfortunately it is not
and that, more than any notion of competition between science and
religion, theories and non-theories, bodes ill for the development of
civilization.

--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (12/03/84)

This stuff is purely religious.  Get it out of here.  Go to net.religion
if you want to discuss it, please.
--
Paul DuBois		{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois