[net.origins] Question for creationists

barry@ames-lm.UUCP (05/05/84)

[]
        I've been sort of following this debate (I tend to 'n-key' anything
over 40 lines, but I read the short ones), and I have a question for the
creationists: have you ever considered that believing in creationism may
be contrary to God's will, even if it's true? Consider: if the
universe *was* created a short time ago by divine act, what do we make
of the overwhelming evidence for an ancient and evolving universe? I
can only conclude that this evolutionary evidence must have been placed
for the purpose of making us think that evolution is the correct answer,
and who but the Creator could have planted it? Ergo, whatever the truth
is about our origins, it's clear to me that we are intended to believe
the evolutionary model.
        Why would God want us to believe in evolution if it's not true,
you ask? Being a believer in evolution myself, I can only speculate, but
perhaps it's for the same reason that he never (seldom?) intervenes in
miraculous fashion in our day-to-day lives. Maybe He feels it's better
that we cannot know absolutely that He exists, so that our good deeds
won't be tainted by our knowing they'll be rewarded. This at least
would suggest a God who is mainly interested in our ethical behavior,
rather than our beliefs about science. The biggest intellectual
difficulty I have with creationism lies not with its truth or falsehood,
but in the idea that God would much care what my opinions on the origin
of the universe were. Could anyone tell me (I really don't know) if
creationists believe that God will send me to Hell for believing in
evolution?
        Replies to the net are welcome, but please keep them under 40
lines. :-)

                                         	Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
        Electric Avenue:      {dual,hao,menlo70,hplabs}!ames-lm!barry

rxt@lanl-a.UUCP (05/08/84)

<>

>  Will God Really send me to Hell for believing in Evolution?

According to the Bible, God will save all those who believe in Jesus Christ,
and will not save any who will not.  That is the only issue.

No flames  --  he asked a question.

According to

stuart@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Stuart Kurtz) (05/10/84)

rxt@lanl-a writes:

>>  Will God Really send me to Hell for believing in Evolution?

>According to the Bible, God will save all those who believe in Jesus Christ,
>and will not save any who will not.  That is the only issue.

>No flames  --  he asked a question.

As I recall the Biblical injunction, it says :

"He who believes and is baptized shall be saved"

According to my introductory logic courses, this statement is mute
on the fate of non-believers.

Any takers???

Stuart Kurtz.  (My opinions are my own.)

stanwyck@ihuxr.UUCP (Don Stanwyck) (05/10/84)

Stuart Kurtz writes:
>As I recall the Biblical injunction, it says :
>
>"He who believes and is baptized shall be saved"
>
>According to my introductory logic courses, this statement is mute
>on the fate of non-believers.
>
>Any takers???

No comment, just quotes (all New American Standard Version).

1 John 5: 11, 12, 13
	And the witness is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this
	life is in His Son.  He who has the Son has the life; he who does not
	have the Son of God does not have the life.  These things I have
	written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, in order
	that you may know that you have eternal life.
--
 ________
 (      )					Don Stanwyck

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (12/17/84)