[net.origins] Eat worms and die, Bethell

carnes@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (02/11/85)

In article <> paul@phs.UUCP (Paul C. Dolber) writes:

>Now, I'm all for charity in argument. However, Richard wrote: "If
>this sort of thing is finding its way into such publications
>as *Harper's*..." Now, what could he have meant?
>... Perhaps Richard will let us know,
>or will have already by the time this issue hits the stands.

I don't intend to tell anyone what I meant:  this discussion is so
fascinating I would like to see it go on for several months.  Anyway, would
you all please read Bethell's article, and also the remainder of my original
article entitled "Various comments"?  In my unbiased opinion it made an
extremely important point, viz., that the creationist/evolutionist conflict
is a sociopolitical conflict, and consequently any discussion between the
two camps that does not address these roots of the conflict is a waste of
time as far as resolving it is concerned.

Better yet, read the Nelkin book I recommended (*The Creation Controversy*).

Richard