[net.origins] Exactly!

hua@cmu-cs-gandalf.ARPA (Ernest Hua) (03/04/85)

> { From: Gordon A. Moffett ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!gam }
>
> ORIGINALS IN NET.RELIGION:
>
> Proofs for/against the existence of God are not valid because
> God's existence is outside the scope of the scientific method.

Exactly!  In fact, the entire concept/idea/notion of a deity is
beyond the scope of the scientific method.  Now my question is:
Why do creationists still insist on spending time/money/effort
to support their clearly unscientific concept/idea/notion of
special creation?

> > "EVOLVE BY CHANCE" IS SELF-CONTRADICTORY - I HOPE ALL HERE REALIZE THAT!
>
> Uh, this isn't really the place to discuss it, but I cannot allow
> that statement to go unchallenged.
>
> It is precisely that it is all by chance that makes it so interesting.
> We are the result of billions of years random mutations.  The 'good'
> ones survived to reproduce, the 'bad' ones didn't.  Such a system
> can't help but produce progressively more advanced creatures.

Well, maybe ... The idea of chance/choice is debatable since one
can say that given an specific configuration/arrangement of the
universe, one can predict the next configuration/arrangement.  Of
course we are talking about a pretty brilliant guy here, so you
might say that for the average human being, since the amount of
knowledge required to do this prediction is ridiculously large,
one cannot not even remotely predict the next configuration of
the universe accurately because there is always some knowledge
not considered.  Therefore, one can consider the transition to
be random to some extent.

The other idea presented here is quite interesting, and is some-
thing that creationists will not admit to.  (Of course not!)

A system which one can consider to have random processes that
create and destroy macro objects will certainly allow objects
that are created with better survival characteristics to remain
than other objects.  Such a system does favor the "fittest"
objects.  If there exists processes to modify, rather than
simply create or destroy objects, such a system will certainly
favor the objects that suffer more changes, since more changes
increase the likelyhood of some helpful change, thus making
the objects more "fit"...

I can go on and on ...  It seems that a lot of people can see
the truth of the previous paragraph, including some creationists.
However, many of them, expecially the creationists, refuse to
apply objects to life forms.  (I can't really understand what
the barrier may be ... ego, self-respect, contra-doctrinal, etc...)

> I will not argue this further in this newsgroup.

Hence the transplant to this group.

Keebler { hua@cmu-cs-gandalf.arpa }