[net.origins] Let's be fair

arndt@lymph.DEC (03/27/85)

            From the Evolution Ministry of Silly Ideas

Wayne Potts, biologist at Utah State U. specuates birds in flight may
have 'evolved' wave type flight patterns to protect against stragglers
being picked off by predators.
                                 (Science Digest, Oct.'84, p.18)

Anthropologist Gordon Hewes believes pale hands may have evolved to help
humans signal.  When asked about pale feet, he said they could be used to
signal as well and perhaps the genes for one affect the other or some such
drivel - he was mumbling by then.
                                  ( "Why Are Human Palms Pale?" Newscience,
                                     December '83.)

See Science Digest, Aug.'83 for THE RUFFED-RABBIT MYSTERY.  That mysterious
patch of hair on the rabit's chest - part of a defense mechanism???
      One letter writer comments: "When cornered, the rabbit causes the
      hair to stand up, thus drawing the attention of the predator (say its
      a fox).  Fascinated, the fox begins to wonder why rabits have that tuft
      of hair, and then why rabbits exist at all, and even why predators
      exist.  While it is occupied with metaphysical questions, the rabbit
      slinks away."  Science Digest, Dec.'83, p.12, Letters.

___________________________________

See Casper, evolution explains everything.  Isn't that neat?  (It sure ain't
Science!)

Look, let's admit that there are some pretty far out claims on the part of
'scientists' who understand neither evolution or the limits of science.

That has been the point of some of the quotes I have listed (Popper,Medawar).

Is it only 'Churchmen' who oppose the advance of Science???

Regards,

Ken Arndt

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (03/27/85)

In article <1332@decwrl.UUCP> arndt@lymph.DEC writes:

>Look, let's admit that there are some pretty far out claims on the part of
>'scientists' who understand neither evolution or the limits of science.

Of *course* there are Yo-Ho's in the scientific community.  That's simply
an application of Sturgeon's Law:  90% of everything is trash (or the
expletive of your choice.)  What you see in print is merely the tip of an
enormous iceberg of research of highly varying quality.  Is it an indictment
of science that some ideas espoused by scientists are ill-thought-out or
at worst patently silly?  I don't think so.

It does bring out another aspect of the conduct of science, however, that
the so-called creation "scientists" seem to take lightly:  dialogue and
peer review.  The history of natural science is a history of competing
theories and competing ideas.  Among researchers working in the same area
mutual criticism is more the norm than mutual admiration.

This is healthy.  It tends to weed out the junk and promote an environment
for the synthesis of new ideas.  Creationists seem to look at it as some
sort of deficiency; the fact that natural scientists disagree indicates
some kind of flaw in their world-view -- or so I gather from what I read.
Creationists, in fact, go to great pains to *avoid* this kind of mutual
critique.  I remember reading that at a recent creationist conference
the geocentrists were regarded tolerantly, if not warmly.  This is the
equivalent to a conference on evolution listing tolerantly to a Lysenkoist.
More than likely they'd hoot him off the stage.

When scientists attempt to engage creationists in legitimate scientific
critique they appear to be invariably ignored.  A case in point is the
discussion of thermodynamics.  No matter how many times the fallacies
in the creationist interpretation of the second law of thermodynamics
are pointed out, the same arguments are trotted out as if they were
fact -- as if there had never been any criticism.

Creationists will, no doubt, respond that scientists do the same thing:
ignore their criticisms.  I submit this is not the case.  I have seen
point-by-point refutations of virtually all of the creationist's major
positions both in this newsgroup and in the more conventional media.  I
have seldom, if ever, seen equally comprehensive rebuttals by creationists
-- merely statements like "You have to read the creationist literature"
or "This is covered in ...." (when you find the reference, it never is --
I've found that these are generally restatements of the original argument.)

At any rate, disagreement has a more than legitimate place in the conduct
of science.  It is essential if science is to take its pulse and insure
that inquiry isn't going off in bizarre directions (at least not for too
long.)  It is good to remember that virtually all of the embarrassing
frauds, gaffes and pieces of poor research found in the history of
evolutionary inquiry were pointed out by other natural scientists, not
by creationists.  The lists of these that creationists so fondly provide
are testimony to how well science works, not to its foibles.

--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (03/29/85)

> Is it only 'Churchmen' who oppose the advance of Science???
>
> Regards,
>
> Ken Arndt

No, you're only a small (but vocal) subset of the very large
class consisting of fools and the ignorant.

--

Michael Ward, NCAR/SCD
UUCP: {hplabs,nbires,brl-bmd,seismo,menlo70,stcvax}!hao!ward

lew@ihlpa.UUCP (Lew Mammel, Jr.) (03/29/85)

Ken Arndt wants to know if it isn't fair to hold up wild speculations
made in the name of evolution to ridicule. Well, basically I would say
yes, but with two provisos.

First, I'll warn for the nth time that all these criticisms of the
scientific status of Darwinism are a separate issue from the FACTS
of earth history, as established by dating of the fossil record.

Second, maybe your presumption that these speculations are unverified
and unverifiable isn't true.  People are doing field work on behavioral
evolution, though the results are often a bit tenuous.  I recall seeing
an account having to do with warning signals given by squirrels. An attempt
was made to measure the statistical success of different behaviours.

I was impressed by the results of nesting behavior studies in penguins
and other colonial birds.  It was long presumed that the birds brooded
indiscriminately "for the good of the species".  It was pointed out that
this behavior was evolutionarily unstable, since freeloaders would "invade"
the population.  Field work showed that the birds do not brood eggs other
than their own.  Subsequent work has been done on how these birds are able
to keep track of their own nest location in the seeming mass confusion.

The first example that Ken cited about the wavy flight patterns of birds
being selected for by predation is typical of a lot of current work. I
think, to be fair, this is mostly theoretical, but often the theories
suggest inquiries into more exact details of these behaviors, and I think
these do qualify as predictions which can be verified.

Fair enough?

	Lew Mammel, Jr. ihnp4!ihlpa!lew