[net.origins] Lame? LAME???

arndt@lymph.DEC (04/09/85)

Lew Mammel, Jr. (whome I admire otherwise, what with his training and all-
sorry I misspelled your name last time Lew!) says:

 Re. the lump on my hip, "Apparently believing this to mean we can "will"
anatomical change."

Now Lew, you may be the victim of a speed reading course!  The POINT of the
'lame' satire you panned was that I DIDN'T 'will' the lump!!!!!  It happened
to me because of my behavior of traveling in a car - just like the man said!

Look, the old idea that you cut off a rat's tail enough times and it produces
rats with no tails is bunk, right??  Well, if the rat bit off his own tail,
even if it helped him survive - in a cosmic lab where naughty things were
done to rats that could be lifted out of their cages by their tails - seems
only to be saying the same thing.  It's another example of 'evolution
science' running wild!  If I throw a rat against the wall (splat) enough
times, will it one day, before it dies, bounce back???  (Sounds like a good
idea for a government grant for some smart grad assistant, eh?)

It is not at all clear how BEHAVIOR in individuals or even groups brings about
'changes' in the body.  Changes that can be passed on to future generations!
The idea that there are 'boundries' even for genetic changes, is an idea whose
time has come!

LAME!!!  Say, guy - do better!

Lov ya,

Ken Arndt

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (04/11/85)

> It is not at all clear how BEHAVIOR in individuals or even groups brings about
> 'changes' in the body.  Changes that can be passed on to future generations!

The idea that behavior can be a survival trait that is passed along
to one's progeny stems from the assumption that, in "animals",
behavior is genetically endowed instinct.  Thus, it is the changes
in the body that bring about the behavior, not the other way
around.

This assumption has in no way been proven, and if untrue makes
the behavior-as-survival-trait idea a lot harder to swallow.
Of course, once an organism has developed sufficient social mechanisms
to ensure that learned behavior (culture) can be passed to future
generations by means of education, the whole problem becomes
much more interesting.

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (04/11/85)

[]
I should have added in my previous message that, if animal behavior
were not instinct, then they (animals) would have to be reasoning
beings with souls.  That means heaven would be full of "good"
critters, just like it's full of good folks.

It's a nice thought.  The notion of a heaven without flowers and
dogs and cats just never appealed to me, somehow.

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (04/12/85)

> Of course, once an organism has developed sufficient social mechanisms
> to ensure that learned behavior (culture) can be passed to future
> generations by means of education, the whole problem becomes
> much more interesting.

Quite so.  And that puts a certain amount of pressure on the central
dogma, if it is alleged to be the sole or dominant mechanism of
evolutionary change.  (That's not to say that everyone does allege
this; it is certainly the case that its influence has been asserted to
be quite pervasive.)
--

Paul DuBois	{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois        --+--

Science is Dead.                                                    |

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (04/12/85)

> Quite so.  And that puts a certain amount of pressure on the central
> dogma, if it is alleged to be the sole or dominant mechanism of
> evolutionary change.

It's possible that the death of science for you stems from the
fact that you consider science to be a dogma, and therefore in
conflict with the dogma of your religious faith.

Those for whom science is still alive consider the body of knowlege
given us by science to be very incomplete and no doubt wrong
in some respects.  That is to say, not dogmatic.

This is not to say that there are not many tenured professors
of science for whom science has died. (did I get all my negatives
straight?)  Scientific dogmatism is a reflection on the individual,
not on science itself.  If science ever does get to be dogmatic,
then it will certainly be time to relegate it to the status of
a religion.  Then we can decide issues in the tried and true
religious method:  we can have wars.

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (04/12/85)

> Look, the old idea that you cut off a rat's tail enough times and it produces
> rats with no tails is bunk, right??  Well, if the rat bit off his own tail,
> even if it helped him survive - in a cosmic lab where naughty things were
> done to rats that could be lifted out of their cages by their tails - seems
> only to be saying the same thing.  It's another example of 'evolution
> science' running wild!  If I throw a rat against the wall (splat) enough
> times, will it one day, before it dies, bounce back???  (Sounds like a good
> idea for a government grant for some smart grad assistant, eh?)

If there were "a cosmic lab where naughty things were done to rats that
could be lifted out of their cages by their tails," I would expect:

	1. If behavior is genetically predisposed, then the
	   surviving rat population would eventually show a
	   tendency to bite off their tails.

	2. If a random mutation produced a fertile, tailless
	   rat that could pass its taillessness on to its
	   offspring, the population would become tailless
	   fairly soon after that.

	3. A similar situation would ensue if a random mutation
	   produced a rat with a tail that would break off
	   if grabbed.

Do you think these statements are also 'evolution science running wild?'

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (04/12/85)

In article <1454@hao.UUCP> ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) writes:
> > It is not at all clear how BEHAVIOR in individuals or even groups brings about
> > 'changes' in the body.  Changes that can be passed on to future generations!
>
> The idea that behavior can be a survival trait that is passed along
> to one's progeny stems from the assumption that, in "animals",
> behavior is genetically endowed instinct.  Thus, it is the changes
> in the body that bring about the behavior, not the other way
> around.

Actually, the changes in behavior can then select for new changes in the body.

> This assumption has in no way been proven, and if untrue makes
> the behavior-as-survival-trait idea a lot harder to swallow.

Not true.  Quite a number of genes controlling behavior have been
identified, mostly in Drosophila.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (04/13/85)

> > Quite so.  And that puts a certain amount of pressure on the central
> > dogma, if it is alleged to be the sole or dominant mechanism of
> > evolutionary change.
>
> It's possible that the death of science for you stems from the
> fact that you consider science to be a dogma, and therefore in
> conflict with the dogma of your religious faith.
>
> Those for whom science is still alive consider the body of knowlege
> given us by science to be very incomplete and no doubt wrong
> in some respects.  That is to say, not dogmatic.
>
> This is not to say that there are not many tenured professors
> of science for whom science has died. (did I get all my negatives
> straight?)  Scientific dogmatism is a reflection on the individual,
> not on science itself.  If science ever does get to be dogmatic,
> then it will certainly be time to relegate it to the status of
> a religion.  Then we can decide issues in the tried and true
> religious method:  we can have wars.

All I meant was that cultural transmission of information provides
(i.e., can logically provide) a mechanism for propagation of change
not necessarily linked to genetics.

You had better go look up what the central dogma is.  It's NOT my
term.  I didn't make it up.
--

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (04/13/85)

> You had better go look up what the central dogma is.  It's NOT my
> term.  I didn't make it up.

I would love to look this up, if I know what you meant.  Please
clarify what it is you are asking me to look up.  The meaning
of the terms, the dogma itself?  If so the dogma of what?

berger@aecom.UUCP (Mitchell Berger) (04/17/85)

> Look, the old idea that you cut off a rat's tail enough times and it produces
> rats with no tails is bunk, right??  Well, if the rat bit off his own tail,
> even if it helped him survive - in a cosmic lab where naughty things were
> done to rats that could be lifted out of their cages by their tails - seems
> only to be saying the same thing.  It's another example of 'evolution
> science' running wild!

How many generations of Jews have been circumcized, and their children are
still born with a foreskin....
--

Micha Berger			{philabs|cucard|pegasus|rocky2}!aecom!berger