[net.origins] The Central Dogma

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (04/16/85)

>> [Paul DuBois]
>> You had better go look up what the central dogma is.  It's NOT my
>> term.  I didn't make it up.

> [Michael Ward]
> I would love to look this up, if I know what you meant.  Please
> clarify what it is you are asking me to look up.  The meaning
> of the terms, the dogma itself?  If so the dogma of what?

Apologies for being so curt.

The Central Dogma is, in brief:  everything's genetic.  The proposition
is that DNA is the sole repository of biological information and that
the flow of such information is one-way, from the DNA to elsewhere
(usually protein).  (This is probably an oversimplification; maybe
Mike Huybensz or Stanley Friesen will comment.)

Opinion is somewhat divided about the status of the Dogma:

Peter Calow (_Evolutionary Principles_.  Blackie, Glasgow, 1983) says
"the Central Dogma remains inviolate" [p24].  This is in rather
striking contrast to Pierre Grasse' (_Evolution of Living Organisms:
Evidence for a New Theory of Transformation_.  Academic Press, New
York, 1977, pp220-222) treats it with contempt.  He says that the
edifice of the concept was shattered from top to bottom almost as soon
as it was formulated.  (This reaction should not be a surprise:  the
Central Dogma comes from the Synthesis; Grasse' is, like many (most?)
French biologists, a non-Darwinist.)

Yockey maintains that the Dogma is a mathematical property of the
genetic code.  This is based on the observation that the mapping
of information from codon to amino acid *must* be one-way, since the
code is degenerate.  I think it might be said that Yockey's treatment
is intended for a rather more limited domain than that to which I
alluded.  (Hubert P Yockey, "Can the Central Dogma be Derived from
Information Theory?".  J Theoretical Biology, 74, 1978, 149-152.)

My comment was directed to the idea that cultural transmission of
information may provide a non-genetic way of propagating change, and
in that way circumvents the Dogma.  I suppose the question then
becomes, is all behavior genetic?  If it is, then of course the Dogma
remains intact.

--

Paul DuBois	{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois        --+--

Science is Dead.                                                    |

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (04/17/85)

In article <901@uwmacc.UUCP> dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) writes:
> The Central Dogma is, in brief:  everything's genetic.  The proposition
> is that DNA is the sole repository of biological information and that
> the flow of such information is one-way, from the DNA to elsewhere
> (usually protein).  (This is probably an oversimplification; maybe
> Mike Huybensz or Stanley Friesen will comment.)

That's pretty much it.  DNA -> RNA -> protein.  There are some clear
exceptions to this pathway.  For example, it was dicovered that certain
viruses produce an RNA reverse transcriptase that does this:  RNA -> DNA.
Prions (such as Kuru) are thought to go: protein -> ? -> protein.  There
are probably more examples that I don't remember offhand.

Is it really a dogma?  The DNA -> RNA -> protein pathway was found, and
the hypothesis was made that because it was sufficient to explain
what we knew about life then, that was all.  It has since been found that
there are additional pathways.  This sort of procedure is a normal aspect
of science: make a hypothesis to provide direction to research, looking
for confirmations and exceptions to the hypothesis.  As more is learned,
the original hypothesis often represents what is known more and more
poorly.  Just as Newton's laws of motion are special cases under the
theory of relativity, so the "Central Dogma" is a special case (albeit the
most important one) under what we know today.

> My comment was directed to the idea that cultural transmission of
> information may provide a non-genetic way of propagating change, and
> in that way circumvents the Dogma.  I suppose the question then
> becomes, is all behavior genetic?  If it is, then of course the Dogma
> remains intact.

Transmission of parasites is also a non-genetic way of propagating change.
But that's besides the point.  There are non-genetic ways of propagating
change.  Formulating the "Central Dogma" theory was a method of requiring
explicit testing and identification of modes of propation of biological
information.

For a while, it was thought that learning or memory might be encoded in
DNA, RNA, or proteins.  It now seems to be encoded in synapses and
proteinaceous pathways within neurons.  The Central Dogma helped point
out the mechanisms that would be required for the former: when they
were looked for and not found, research shifted.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh