[net.origins] Secret Handshake

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (04/16/85)

>>> You want maybe some sort of useless
>>> half-feather?  Why would something like that be selected for?  Why would
>>> you expect a specie with useless features to survive long enough to leave
>>> any kind of fossil record?
>>
>> Like the Irish Elk?

> What useless features do you think the Irish Elk had, Paul?  Why do you think
> they were useless?

The antlers.  I think they were useless because of all the effort Gould
goes to, to show they weren't (i.e., that they were adapted)!

--

Paul DuBois	{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois        --+--

Science is Dead.                                                    |

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (04/17/85)

In article <902@uwmacc.UUCP> dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) writes:
> > What useless features do you think the Irish Elk had, Paul?  Why do you
> > think they were useless?
>
> The antlers.  I think they were useless because of all the effort Gould
> goes to, to show they weren't (i.e., that they were adapted)!

Do you mean to say that it is Gould's behavior, rather than scientific
criteria, that is deciding your belief?

Antler size in Cervids (deer, etc.) is very important in recruiting and
defending a harem, which of course is crucial to reproductive success.
Larger antlers might enable an individual to garner a larger harem.
Thus they would be useful to the individual.  This is called sexual selection.
Secondary sex characters (such as size of males in most carnivores, coloration
in many male birds, and a host of others tend to become very exaggerated.

There are probably limiting tradeoffs for the size of antlers.  We just don't
know what conditions were for the Irish Elk that minimized the penalties
involved in having large antlers.  The elk probably became extinct when
humans arrived on the scene and changed conditions by hunting, burning,
wood cutting, or whatever.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (04/23/85)

> [Mike Huybensz]
> In article <902@uwmacc.UUCP> dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) writes:
>>> What useless features do you think the Irish Elk had, Paul?  Why do you
>>> think they were useless?
>>
>> The antlers.  I think they were useless because of all the effort Gould
>> goes to, to show they weren't (i.e., that they were adapted)!

> Do you mean to say that it is Gould's behavior, rather than scientific
> criteria, that is deciding your belief?

Well, not *quite*...let's say that Gould's efforts to explain the
antlers adaptively aroused my suspicions as to the presence of a
problem.  I don't really know if they are useless or not.  I gave the
example as I thought perhaps it would stimulate someone to respond
further.  Since you have taken the trouble to do so (thank you), I will
reply.

Gould addresses this topic in one of his Natural History essays (also
in _Ever Since Darwin_) and in _Evolution_ [1,2].  He takes a look
at the antlers and, unwilling to believe that natural selection would
result in something non-adaptive he decides that they have some sort of
function, about which he speculates, unconvincingly and without proof.
I'm not saying that they might not indeed really have been adaptive.
But his argument is facile.  Don't take my word for it.  Read it
yourself.

You might say that my ears pricked up when I detected his faith that
there is an adaptive explanation.  This is not all.  I said that his
argument was not convincing, but there is more.  I add that in this
matter we find Dr. Gould in one of his inconsistencies.  He takes pains
to discover an adaptive function (one dare not say purpose) for these
antlers, yet elsewhere we notice that he derides the "adaptationist
program" thus:  "The emphasis on natural selection as the only driving
force of any importance in evolution led inevitably to an analysis of
all attributes of organisms as adaptations.  Indeed, the tendency has
infected our language, for, without thinking about what it implies, we
use 'adaptation' as our favord, _descriptive_ term for designating any
recognizable bit of changed morphology in evolution.  I believe that
this 'adaptationist program' has had decidedly unfortunate effects in
biology.  It has led to a reliance on speculative storytelling in
preference to the analysis of form and its constraints; and, if wrong,
in any case, it is virtually impossible to dislodge because the failure
of one story leads to invention of another rather than abandonment of
the enterprise" [3p128].

This statement applies to his own useless speculations regarding the
Irish Elk.  This is somewhat reminiscent of his toils in compiling data
for thousands of species for his spindle diagrams to marshall support
for the notion that the Cambrian explosion is simply the log phase of a
sigmoid curve [4], only to later refer to this event as "the greatest
of all geological bangs" [5].  He sits on both sides of several
fences.

> Antler size in Cervids (deer, etc.) is very important in recruiting and
> defending a harem, which of course is crucial to reproductive success.
> Larger antlers might enable an individual to garner a larger harem.

And they might not.  How do antlers function to recruit females?
Davidheiser points out that "often an antlerless stag is a master stag,
and a successful leader of stags, and furthermore...an antlerless stag
usually has the largest harem of females" [6p197].

> Thus they would be useful to the individual.  This is called sexual selection.
> Secondary sex characters (such as size of males in most carnivores, coloration
> in many male birds, and a host of others tend to become very exaggerated.

So?

> There are probably limiting tradeoffs for the size of antlers.  We just don't
> know what conditions were for the Irish Elk that minimized the penalties
> involved in having large antlers.  The elk probably became extinct when
> humans arrived on the scene and changed conditions by hunting, burning,
> wood cutting, or whatever.

We don't even know that the penalties *were* minimized.  We certainly
don't know why they went extinct.  You are speculating and that is
all.

---