[net.origins] Ethics 'n Stuff

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (04/19/85)

Michael Ward has replied to my defense of the ethical charges against
Ray Miller.  It should be noted that my original comments were related
specifically to SOR4 (The Fossil Record).  No broadening of scope is
stated or implied for my comments here.

>>[Paul DuBois]
>>As an alternative, evolution may legitimately be discussed
>>as gradualistic on the strength of two simple observations.  The first
>>is that gradualism is, after all, the reigning orthodoxy (though its
>>rule is challenged ever more vigorously in the scientific community).
>>The second is that to most people, evolution means Darwin, and Darwin
>>was a gradualist.  Thus, to many if not most people (even educated
>>ones), evolution *means* gradualism.  This state of affairs will
>>probably be different within a couple of decades, but I think that it
>>can hardly be denied to exist at the present time.

>>This being so, a portrayal (and critique) of evolution on gradualist
>>grounds provides an analysis which begins where people *are*, not where
>>they ought to be or where we'd like them to be.  I see nothing wrong
>>with this.

>>But in a pamphlet
>>intended for general consumption by undergraduates (who, at least for
>>the time being, are more than likely gradualists if they are anything),
>>there is little value in giving more attention to this phenomenon than
>>observing that it exists.

> [Michael Ward]
> There is something wrong with this.  The thing that is wrong with this
> is closely related to the many requests that have been made in this
> newsgroup for a statement of the creationist theory.  The only
> arguments I am aware of for creationism rely on the (implicit or
> explicit) presumption that creationism is the only reasonable
> alternative to evolution.  Thus, debunking evolution is sufficient to
> establish creationism.  This is certainly the methodology used by Ray
> Miller in his pamphlets.

It is a common technique to prove that X is true by showing that not-X is
false.  The question is whether creation and evolution are the only
alternatives.  They are.  There is, ultimately, no alternative to
evolution but creation.  If evolution did not occur here, then life was
created, or it came from somewhere else.  If it came from somewhere
else.  If it did not evolve there, it was either created or it came
from somewhere else.  Iterate until exhausted.

One may say that there are other alternatives to DEVELOPMENT OF LIFE
ON EARTH than evolution of life from non-life or creation of life
(e.g., panspermia).  Fine.  But that doesn't really change the
ultimate question.

Be that as it may, one (the creationist in particular) is still faced
with the need to present positive evidence for his viewpoint, for the
obvious reason that evolution, even if successfully debunked, may fail
to stay debunked in the light of new developments.  If knowledge in the
area of the study of origins were static, then indeed a disproof of
evolution would be proof of creation.  But such knowledge is not
static.

In any case, the objection that Ray did not present positive evidence
is not correct.  He certainly did present what he considers evidence
consistent with his creation model (e.g., gaps, sudden appearance of
fully-developed forms).  You may not accept this as evidence, but it is
not true that he has failed to present any for consideration.

Also, Ray DID mention alternatives to gradualism, even if they were
not discussed much.  Thus he did not focus exclusively on gradualism.

> Even granting, for the sake of argument (and only for that sake), that
> this was a legitimate method of attack, one is still faced with the
> need to debunk evolution, rather than one particular school of
> evolution.

Of course.

> The existence of the theory of punctuated equilibrium as a respected
> school of science is by itself enough to absolutely invalidate any
> debunking of gradualism, or Darwinism, as a defense of creationism.

Not quite.  The existence of a *credible* theory of p.e. is enough.
Simply multiplying alternatives to gradualism is a meaningless
exercise.  (I am not saying that p.e. is not credible, only that the
statement above is not quite correct...)

But I have never stated that an invalidation of gradualism, or anything
else, is a satisfactory defense of creationism, nor, I believe, does
Ray hold with that, either.  It is a (necessary?) part of that defense,
but does not constitute a complete formulation in any sense.

However, the real response to your statement is simply that a good deal
of Ray's presentation is not specific to gradualism.

> The presence of acceptable alternatives requires one to actually
> present evidence that, by itself, supports one's claim.  The debunking
> method must debunk all possible (or at least credible) theories of
> evolution, not just gradualism.

Quite so.  But my purpose was to examine the charges against Ray
Miller, not to present evidence.  As you well know, I have never
addressed myself to that.

> In the face of this, for someone to present a debunking of gradualism
> as a defense of creationism, merely because his audience is unaware of
> the acceptable alternatives, creates a severe ethical problem.  He is
> likely to win a few debaters points, but at the risk of subjecting
> himself to charges of chicanery.

I don't agree with this at all.

(i)	Ray did present what he considers to be positive evidence. Thus
	he is not simply trying to discredit evolution because he
	supports his own side. Whether one agrees that his evidence is
	*good* evidence or not, is irrelevant, I think, because your
	complaint is with his method, and his method is not purely
	discreditation.

(ii)	Ray doesn't attack gradualism only. Much of his presentation is
	not specific to that particular formulation of evolution.

(iii)	Ray's presentation *does*, however, give greatest *emphasis* to
	gradualism. But, as I have said, this is entirely appropriate.
	Gradualism holds sway, and one attacks the citadel, not the
	outhouse.  Should he focus on, e.g., Gorczynski and Steele,
	instead? That would be foolish.

> Perhaps the most significant difference between the scientific forum
> and the public forum that creationists choose is that in the
> scientific forum, winning one debate is not likely to gain you much.

And it will do so in the public forum?  I'm skeptical.

> Scientists in any field are very likely to be aware of the issues that
> are raging in that field, and will remember what a proponant of an idea
> says from one day to the next.  In the fields of science, people are
> very sensitive to dishonest practices, and tend to get ugly when they
> see evidence of such practices.

Whereas in the public forum people are insensitive to dishonesty.  No,
I don't think you mean *that*.  You mean that the public will not be
informed enough to even know that there is dishonestly going on, and
so are likely to be deceived.  Correct?  Well, WHOSE FAULT IS IT THAT
THEY DON'T KNOW ABOUT ALTERNATIVE THEORIES??  What do you see in the
textbooks?  Darwin!

Aren't you saying, in effect, that if the creationist wishes to attack
evolution, he must not only "debunk" gradualism, he must also educate
the general public as to all the alternative theories, and then debunk
them?  It seems to me that the responsibility for dissemination of
information relating to alternative theories of evolution rests
squarely on the shoulders of the evolutionist.  Don't you agree?  I DO
NOT accept the responsibility to educate the public about YOUR
theories.

(As an illustration of the poor job evolutionists do of transmitting
information about their work, consider that the first place I learned
of punctuated equilibrium was in an ICR publication!  One might
hypothesize that I only read creationist literature, but I don't.  I
read very little of it, actually.)

--

Paul DuBois	{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois        --+--

"Danger signs, a creeping independence"                             |

padraig@utastro.UUCP (Padraig Houlahan) (04/21/85)

Paul DuBois writes:

> It is a common technique to prove that X is true by showing that not-X is
> false.  The question is whether creation and evolution are the only
> alternatives.  They are.  There is, ultimately, no alternative to
> evolution but creation.  If evolution did not occur here, then life was
> created, or it came from somewhere else.  If it came from somewhere
> else.  If it did not evolve there, it was either created or it came
> from somewhere else.  Iterate until exhausted.
>
> One may say that there are other alternatives to DEVELOPMENT OF LIFE
> ON EARTH than evolution of life from non-life or creation of life
> (e.g., panspermia).  Fine.  But that doesn't really change the
> ultimate question.

These comments raise some very serious issues. First there is the blatant
confusion on the meaning of evolution. EVOLUTION IS NOT A THEORY
ON THE ORIGIN OF LIFE.

The debating technique you refer to is extensively used by creationists
here, and merits further comment.
By definition, creation is not in the realm of science, and
cannot claim to be the only alternative, since such a claim implies
that no others can be found, ever. There is no justification for claiming
that creation is the sole alternative to evolution. The argument you use
is totally absurd, for by using your own iteration scheme, one
may ask where did the thing doing the act of creation come from etc.

Scientific theories are not proven by the act of disproving others.
They can't ever be, since they are always subject to revision and
consequently are only held tentatively. What changes is the degree
of reliability assigned to them. To say "There is, ultimately,
no alternative to evolution but creation" betrays your severe lack
of understanding of science. Having an alternative pet
theory to a scientific one does not make it a scienific theory.

I would appreciate an explicit, to the point, clarification of your
position on each of the above paragraphs.

Thanks in advance.

Padraig Houlahan.

heller@shell.UUCP (Don Heller) (04/21/85)

The claim was made that evolution and creation are the only two models, and
that if one is refuted then the other is proved.  Well, there are indeed
other alternatives.  One which is often neglected (for good reason in most
contexts) is the "don't care" model.  This is appropriate when trying to
analyze changes in the earth or in life since some point in the past.  The
advantage is that one does not waste time trying to explain earlier events.
We simply "don't care" what happened before the arbitrary time.  Sort of
like US foreign policy :-)  Now, if one wants to iterate on the "don't care"
model, pick a time in the past, and explain what has happened since.  Now
pick an earlier time, and repeat.  Will your resulting theory be evolution
or creation?  Will you be able to make any statement about what happened
before your cutoff date?  This is, of course, an intellectually unsatisfying
process, but we've made a lot of money using it and it looks a lot more like
evolution than creation.

Don Heller
Shell Development Company
Houston, Texas

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (04/21/85)

> (As an illustration of the poor job evolutionists do of transmitting
> information about their work, consider that the first place I learned
> of punctuated equilibrium was in an ICR publication!  One might
> hypothesize that I only read creationist literature, but I don't.  I
> read very little of it, actually.)

I, too, first heard of punctuated equilibrium from a creatonist -
in this newsgroup, as a matter of fact.  But all I needed was
the name "Gould", and I have found little difficulty in continuing
my education.  I have spoken to several high school students
about this subject lately, and none of them have heard of Steven
Gould or punctuated equilibrium or creationism.  The task of
educating our citizens does not lie with the creationists or
the scientists.  It lies with the school systems.  Unfortunately.

Scientists tend to do a very good job of transmiting information
about their work to other scientists.  They tend to do a poor
job of transmiting this information to the public.  This is usually
left to news reporters and textbook writers.  Reporters never
seem to understand, whatever it is they are writing about.  Textbook
writers seem to be at least twenty years behind whatever field
they are writing about..

What all this means is that for a discussion to be meaningful,
a great deal of education is needed on both sides.
Both sides should be engaging in this education.  A good place
to start is right here.  How about it - where's that exposition
of the theories of creation that we've been waiting for?

[.................]
>> (As an illustration of the poor job evolutionists do of transmitting
>> information about their work, consider that the first place I learned
>> of punctuated equilibrium was in an ICR publication!  One might
>> hypothesize that I only read creationist literature, but I don't.  I
>> read very little of it, actually.)
>
>I, too, first heard of punctuated equilibrium from a creatonist -
>in this newsgroup, as a matter of fact.  But all I needed was
>the name "Gould", and I have found little difficulty in continuing
>my education.  I have spoken to several high school students
>about this subject lately, and none of them have heard of Steven
>Gould or punctuated equilibrium or creationism.  The task of
>educating our citizens does not lie with the creationists or
>the scientists.  It lies with the school systems.  Unfortunately.

And, unfortunately, the creationist ravings have had the effect of
crippling what little education on these subjects that there is.
Rather than attempt the ridiculous posture of 'equal time' between
evolution and 'magic', most textbook publishers simply remove what
information is in the textbooks with regards to evolution.

>Scientists tend to do a very good job of transmiting information
>about their work to other scientists.  They tend to do a poor
>job of transmiting this information to the public.  This is usually
>left to news reporters and textbook writers.  Reporters never
>seem to understand, whatever it is they are writing about.  Textbook
>writers seem to be at least twenty years behind whatever field
>they are writing about..
>
>What all this means is that for a discussion to be meaningful,
>a great deal of education is needed on both sides.
>Both sides should be engaging in this education.  A good place
>to start is right here.  How about it - where's that exposition
>of the theories of creation that we've been waiting for?

Don't hold your breath.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (04/23/85)

In article <945@uwmacc.UUCP> dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) writes:
> It seems to me that the responsibility for dissemination of
> information relating to alternative theories of evolution rests
> squarely on the shoulders of the evolutionist.  Don't you agree?
>
> (As an illustration of the poor job evolutionists do of transmitting
> information about their work, consider that the first place I learned
> of punctuated equilibrium was in an ICR publication! ....)

As a matter of fact, evolutionary biologists have not been commanded by god
to go out and spread evolutionary biology to the world.  Most professional
biologists are squirrelled away in universities.

If biologists are scurrilously proselytizing for secular humanism as many
creationists think they are, creationists have little to worry about.

The real problem is that of bringing proper educational materials to
teachers.  (Scientist doesn't necessarily equal teacher, as all too many
college students learn.)  The textbook industry is quite slow to absorb
new ideas in science.  Partly because what sells textbooks is who they
appeal to and who they don't offend.  It's quite likely that many children
will not learn about punctuated equilibrium because of the efforts of
people like the Gablers in Texas.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

[.................]
>Aren't you saying, in effect, that if the creationist wishes to attack
>evolution, he must not only "debunk" gradualism, he must also educate
>the general public as to all the alternative theories, and then debunk
>them?  It seems to me that the responsibility for dissemination of
>information relating to alternative theories of evolution rests
>squarely on the shoulders of the evolutionist.  Don't you agree?  I DO
>NOT accept the responsibility to educate the public about YOUR
>theories.

No, if the creationist wishes to attack evolution, he must educate
the scientific community as to his 'better' alternative theory.
Science in general dosen't give a flying *** what the general public
thinks.  Scientists tell the general public what the SCIENTISTS think.
They do not ask the non-scientist general public what it thinks about
theories (you don't ask a non-expert for expert testimony).  Science DOES
NOT accept the responsibility to educate the public about alternative
theories.  Creationists are trying to sell their view to the public,
as the scientists won't buy it.  Scientists don't feel it neccessary
to confuse the public by presenting conflicting theories for the
public to decide the validity of.  Scientists decide among themselves
what they think is valid, and only dissmeinate information regarding
what they think that is.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (04/26/85)

[]
	Keith Doyle has (perhaps inadvertently) mentioned an
attitude and practice of some scientists, which accounts for
much of the adverse reaction of the creationists.
> Science in general dosen't give a flying *** what the general public
> thinks.  Scientists tell the general public what the SCIENTISTS think.
>                                Scientists decide among themselves
> what they think is valid, and only dissmeinate information regarding
> what they think that is.
	Doubtless the intention of the scientific spokesmen being
described is simply to stick up for their convictions.  I
think, however, that it comes across as arrogance.  In
religious contexts, the word is "triumphalism."
	It is misleading to represent a scientific theory, even a
very well supported one, as a perfectly finished, tidy edifice that is
(by divine mandate?) preserved from all attack - a stately
temple of the intellect.  In fact, scientific activity is more
like a flea market than a stately temple.  It is always
a-buildin', never finished.  There are always arguments, and
there always have been.  Any theory worth while is the
object of vigorous controversy, and it changes over the years
as a result.  Only in a mediocre high-school textbook does it
seem otherwise.
	I can sympathise with the harried teacher, trying to
persuade a roomful of teenagers that some theory about old
bones is worth learning.  I'd probably attempt to speak with
the authority of Mayr and Simpson myself.
	But people are not fooled for long; young people in
particular are sensitive to when some grownup is feeding them
bull sugar.  In a free country they are right to resent it.
	It seems to me that many of the creationist postings
on this news-group are in fact criticisms of a simplistic view
of evolutionary theory.  Sometimes they sound as if they want
biology to be simplistic, and condemn it because it isn't ...
I *hope* this is a mis-perception of what the critics really
mean.  I hope they really want to get past the straw men, the
caricatures, and the bumper-sticker slogans.  If so, then the
creationists are performing a constructive service.

Regards,
Chris

--
Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich
UUCP:       ..!(cornell | ariel | ukc | houxz)!vax135!petsd!cjh

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (04/28/85)

> [Christopher J. Henrich]
> 	It seems to me that many of the creationist postings
> on this news-group are in fact criticisms of a simplistic view
> of evolutionary theory.  Sometimes they sound as if they want
> biology to be simplistic, and condemn it because it isn't ...
> I *hope* this is a mis-perception of what the critics really
> mean.  I hope they really want to get past the straw men, the
> caricatures, and the bumper-sticker slogans.  If so, then the
> creationists are performing a constructive service.

Amen.

Told you it was religious!  :-)
--

Paul DuBois	{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois        --+--

"There are two sides to every argument, until you take one."        |