[net.origins] Pathetic?

arndt@lymph.DEC (04/26/85)

Padraig Houlahan says it's 'pathetic' to point out the error of past
evolutionary arguments (he references mention of embryo development as
an argument for evolution is no longer used and to point that out is
to en effect to beat a dead horse) since no one believes them any longer.

But this is merely the same kind of argument religious people us to point
out to non believers when they, the non believers hold up silly notions
of what the believers really believe!  Such as the utterly stupid idea
that God has to be explained - who/what caused God?

Many uninformed believers in evolution, just like the uniformed unbelievers
in God, still hold to outmoded or bogus ideas to bolster their convictions.
WHAT MANY EVOLUTIONISTS ON THIS NET SEEM TO FAIL TO REALIZE IS THE THE
'ENVIRONMENT' IN WHICH THE 'DEBATE' ABOUT EVOLUTION IS TAKING PLACE IN OUR
SOCIETY TODAY IS ONE IN WHICH EVOLUTION IS SEEN TO HAVE CARRIED THE DAY,
AND SO IT IS RIGHT, AS A TECHNIQUE, TO CRITICISE EVOLUTION POINT BY POINT
IN MAKING A CASE FOR CREATIONISM.

As has been pointed out here several times, while the exhalted presenses
on the net may not believe any longer in the development of the embryo
as a argument for evolution it is still an 'evidence' with much of the
'great unwashed' public school herd.  Still in some textbooks used, etc.
Perhaps the most that can be said against mentioning the idea on the net
is that most HERE no longer use it.  But pathetic? . . . no.

Regards,

Ken Arndt

padraig@utastro.UUCP (Padraig Houlahan) (04/27/85)

> Padraig Houlahan says it's 'pathetic' to point out the error of past
> evolutionary arguments (he references mention of embryo development as
> an argument for evolution is no longer used and to point that out is
> to en effect to beat a dead horse) since no one believes them any longer.

This point has already been responded to. I have said that one cannot
attack evolution by attacking a discarded  evolutionary argument. The point
was that it was the one makeing the attack who stated that the embryo
argument was no longer valid. In which case why bother? This is not saying
whether or not the arguement is correct or not, a topic I leave to
someone who knows more about the details than I do.

> But this is merely the same kind of argument religious people us to point
> out to non believers when they, the non believers hold up silly notions
> of what the believers really believe!  Such as the utterly stupid idea
> that God has to be explained - who/what caused God?

Perhaps you could tell us why the "first explainer" should not be explained?
If your god doesn't have to be explained, then neither does my cosmos
have to be explained by a god. Not so stupid after all. "huh".

> Many uninformed believers in evolution, just like the uniformed unbelievers
> in God, still hold to outmoded or bogus ideas to bolster their convictions.

 That may very well be true, since science evolves :-) and one needs to
continually beef up one the current crop of ideas.
Perhaps you would enlighten us on net.religion as to what the "modern
proofs" for the existence of god are. I would be interested in discussing
them with you, if you wish. Anyway, a bad arguing style is bad, no matter
who uses it. It doesn't justify it by trying to find instances where
others use it.

> WHAT MANY EVOLUTIONISTS ON THIS NET SEEM TO FAIL TO REALIZE IS THE THE
> 'ENVIRONMENT' IN WHICH THE 'DEBATE' ABOUT EVOLUTION IS TAKING PLACE IN OUR
> SOCIETY TODAY IS ONE IN WHICH EVOLUTION IS SEEN TO HAVE CARRIED THE DAY,
> AND SO IT IS RIGHT, AS A TECHNIQUE, TO CRITICISE EVOLUTION POINT BY POINT
> IN MAKING A CASE FOR CREATIONISM.

It is always correct to challange currently held ideas and theories,
and in this respect creationists have done a lot of good. However,
just because a theory is dominant one does not prove another by
attacking it. To do so is not scientific proof for the other.

> As has been pointed out here several times, while the exhalted presenses
> on the net may not believe any longer in the development of the embryo
> as a argument for evolution it is still an 'evidence' with much of the
> 'great unwashed' public school herd.  Still in some textbooks used, etc.

I, to repeat myself, never claimed that the argument was correct, or
incorrect. This point is irrelevant.

> Perhaps the most that can be said against mentioning the idea on the net
> is that most HERE no longer use it.  But pathetic? . . . no.

The issue was not whether or not the arguement was used, but whether it is
useful to attack a discarded argument.
The debating style was, and still is pathetic. You seem to have understood
this initially, judging by your lead paragraph. However you seem
 to have strayed a little since then.

> Regards,
> Ken Arndt

Padraig Houlahan.

long@oliveb.UUCP (A Panther Modern) (04/28/85)

In article <1852@decwrl.UUCP> arndt@lymph.DEC writes:

| Padraig Houlahan says it's 'pathetic' to point out the error of past
| evolutionary arguments (he references mention of embryo development as
| an argument for evolution is no longer used and to point that out is
| to en effect to beat a dead horse) since no one believes them any longer.
|
| But this is merely the same kind of argument religious people us to point
| out to non believers when they, the non believers hold up silly notions
| of what the believers really believe!  Such as the utterly stupid idea
| that God has to be explained - who/what caused God?

    Ken, you have made an error in equivocation here.  The two cases are not
the same.  In the first case, the person who is attacking old arguments is
attacking an argument that neither side holds as true any longer (beating a
dead horse).  In the second case, the person who asks for any ghod to be ex-
plained is asking a valid question to which the answer forms a major part of
the religion to be evaluated* (inspecting a live horse).

* in most religious contexts, I guess that the answer "that is not a question
for one of our faith to ask" would be a good one.

| Many uninformed believers in evolution, just like the uniformed unbelievers
| in God, still hold to outmoded or bogus ideas to bolster their convictions.

    These folk will always be about.  Their affiliation with any side of an ar-
gument does not mean anything.

| ... SO IT IS RIGHT, AS A TECHNIQUE, TO CRITICISE EVOLUTION POINT BY POINT
| IN MAKING A CASE FOR CREATIONISM.

    That is an either/or fallacy: If the use of science to explain and pre-
dict the development of systems is impossible, then the only alternative is
your creator created everything in the way that you say that "he" said "he"
did.
    In making a case for your brand of creationism, you should build a group
of facts that we can agree with.  In the case of a "scientific" creationism,
you would have to show the data from which you concluded creation, how well
your interpretation of that data fits, and how well your interpretation can
be used to predict future events.  If it accomplishes all of these better than
the best theory of evolution, then you have made your case for creationism in
the correct manner.

| As has been pointed out here several times, while the exhalted presenses
| on the net may not believe any longer in the development of the embryo
| as a argument for evolution it is still an 'evidence' with much of the
| 'great unwashed' public school herd.  Still in some textbooks used, etc.
| Perhaps the most that can be said against mentioning the idea on the net
| is that most HERE no longer use it.  But pathetic? . . . no.

    Pathetic? . . . yes.  I'd consider anyone beating dead horses either pa-
thetic or a necroequisadist.  Just because a majority of people are carrying
about dead horses does not mean that live horses do not exist, and that the
horse farm is not doing quite well.
    Just because the release of a program (or theory) that most people use has
a few bugs and style problems does not mean that the current release of the
program (or theory) has not been mostly fixed, nor that the whole concept of
the program (or theory) is invalid.

						Dave Long
--
	gnoL evaD						Beware of
{msoft,allegra,gsgvax,fortune,hplabs,idi,ios,			Black ICE

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (04/29/85)

> Padraig Houlahan says it's 'pathetic' to point out the error of past
> evolutionary arguments (he references mention of embryo development as
> an argument for evolution is no longer used and to point that out is
> to en effect to beat a dead horse) since no one believes them any longer.
>
> But this is merely the same kind of argument religious people us to point
> out to non believers when they, the non believers hold up silly notions
> of what the believers really believe!

      That kind of arguement is quite valid, and religious people are allowed
to use it too, as far as I'm concerned.

> Such as the utterly stupid idea
> that God has to be explained - who/what caused God?

      Just how is this an example of an outdated religious belief which
nonbelievers hold up to ridicule?  <answer: it's not.>

> Many uninformed believers in evolution, just like the uniformed unbelievers
> in God, still hold to outmoded or bogus ideas to bolster their convictions.
> WHAT MANY EVOLUTIONISTS ON THIS NET SEEM TO FAIL TO REALIZE IS THE THE
> 'ENVIRONMENT' IN WHICH THE 'DEBATE' ABOUT EVOLUTION IS TAKING PLACE IN OUR
> SOCIETY TODAY IS ONE IN WHICH EVOLUTION IS SEEN TO HAVE CARRIED THE DAY,
> AND SO IT IS RIGHT, AS A TECHNIQUE, TO CRITICISE EVOLUTION POINT BY POINT
> IN MAKING A CASE FOR CREATIONISM.

    Wow!  It's in capital letters, so it must be TRUE!  Notice that if it
were true, it would be valid for people to criticize modern physics since
newtonian mechanics doesn't work for v->c.  Physicists would say: 'But we've
got a new theory that takes care of that!'.  And aristotelians could then
make *exactly* the same arguement that Arndt just has.
    Nuff said.
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

[..............]
>WHAT MANY EVOLUTIONISTS ON THIS NET SEEM TO FAIL TO REALIZE IS THE THE
>'ENVIRONMENT' IN WHICH THE 'DEBATE' ABOUT EVOLUTION IS TAKING PLACE IN OUR
>SOCIETY TODAY IS ONE IN WHICH EVOLUTION IS SEEN TO HAVE CARRIED THE DAY,
>AND SO IT IS RIGHT, AS A TECHNIQUE, TO CRITICISE EVOLUTION POINT BY POINT
>IN MAKING A CASE FOR CREATIONISM.
>As has been pointed out here several times, while the exhalted presenses
>on the net may not believe any longer in the development of the embryo
>as a argument for evolution it is still an 'evidence' with much of the
>'great unwashed' public school herd.  Still in some textbooks used, etc.
>Perhaps the most that can be said against mentioning the idea on the net
>is that most HERE no longer use it.  But pathetic? . . . no.
>Regards,
>Ken Arndt

What many creationists on this net seem to fail to realize is that the
'environment' in which the 'debate' about evolution SHOULD be taking
place is in the scientific community, where it belongs.  Public school
is not the proper place to 'filibuster' for scientific ideas.  However,
many creationists realize that politics is the only possible hope they
have for getting their way (as the scientists aren't having any).  The day
we decide what science is on the basis of public opinion is the day
science dies.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd