[net.origins] Pinking Shears Update II

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (04/29/85)

I indicated a short while ago that I wrote to Norman Macbeth regarding
the scissoring incident, and that he replied that he was forwarding
my letter to the person who informed him of it.  I recently received
a letter from that person.  I wrote back asking for permission to post
his letter.  Pending his reply, I will summarize.

He did not give me the name or institution of the culprit, the reason
being that he feels that such information would only serve to cloud
the discussion by focussing attention away from the real issues of the
status of Darwinism.  He told me how I could figure out who it was,
but I'm not going to post that even if he lets me post his letter,
because he's right - it would only be witch-hunting.

He actually thought the scissoring a minor incident - because this
same person evidently was responsible for having the institution's
subscription to Journal of Theoretical Biology cancelled - one which
they had had since the inception of the journal.  The reason for that
was that two articles from it were being used in biology classes (one
by Yockey, another by Ho and Saunders).  Both articles are critical
of Darwinism.  Fortunately, after some struggle, others managed to
have the subscription reinstated.  So, hopefully such abuses will be
minimized in the future.  That's good to know.

More later, if he lets me post the letter...

--

Paul DuBois	{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois        --+--

"There are two sides to every argument, until you take one."        |

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (05/01/85)

Paul Dubois writes:
> He did not give me the name or institution of the culprit, the reason
> being that he feels that such information would only serve to cloud
> the discussion by focussing attention away from the real issues of the
> status of Darwinism.

       Just curious here, Paul.  What is Darwinism?  Do you mean perhaps
the origional theory Darwin came up with, without all of the improvements and
embellishments which have been made since then?  If not, just what do
you mean by it?
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (05/02/85)

> Paul Du[B]ois writes:
>> He did not give me the name or institution of the culprit, the reason
>> being that he feels that such information would only serve to cloud
>> the discussion by focussing attention away from the real issues of the
>> status of Darwinism.

> [Jeff Sonntag]
>        Just curious here, Paul.  What is Darwinism?  Do you mean perhaps
> the origional theory Darwin came up with, without all of the improvements and
> embellishments which have been made since then?  If not, just what do
> you mean by it?

In an exclusive sense it means only Darwin's theory.  In an inclusive
sense, it would also include neo-Darwinism (the Synthesis).  In no sense
would it include "all of the improvements and embellishments which have
been made since then".  That would be impossible.  Some of those
"improvements and embellishments" are anti-Darwinian.

My correspondent was referring to Darwinism in the inclusive sense.

--

Paul DuBois     {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois        --+--

"The presence of weeds in the garden is not explained by            |
  saying that the gardener has not pulled them yet."