[net.origins] Why? Because.

hua@cmu-cs-edu1.ARPA (Ernest Hua) (05/07/85)

> From: arndt@lymph.DEC
>
> Reply to Ken Perlow.
>
> Science without the 'why' is NOT SCIENCE.

Since when does science deal with "why"?  "Why" asks for a intellectual
reason, which is subjective and beyond the realm of science.  Science
only deals with "how" or "what".

> It's fiddling around.  It's noise.  It's killing time till it's time
> to die.

It's Miller time!  :-)

It's real science, man.  If you don't like it, tough cookies.

> Rosen and I together!  Ha.  I love it.  Truth is, I actually think I'd
> like the guy if I ever met him, what with us both being from NJ and all.

YOU are from NJ?!  Please don't ever repeat that again in public!

> Science DOES start with a 'why'.  Even if it's only 'Why bother?'.

Science starts with a "how".  (e.g. how do plants synthesize oxygen?
No one cares WHY they make it, except maybe you.)

> "Dogmatic", sure sure.  Like everyone who has a point of view . . . yawn.

I do.  You don't.  Your Bible does.

> Science rests on certain 'why' assumptions that are not what YOU call
> 'science'.  Creationism is not 'science' to you because you have chosen
> different 'whys' to start with, that's all.

Yeah.  Nature is consistent.  That's not science?  I guess you are not
refering to that.  So what ARE you refering to?  (By the way, this was
NOT a "why".)

> I don't find the 'how' stuff boring.  Only when it has no 'why' to give
> it meaning!  Then it becomes EXTREEMLY boring.  Rather be surfing, you
> know.

Meaning?  Are you serious?  Please go surfing and stop bothering science
with your own brand of pseudoscience.

> Where do you hear anything about God?  Tests and stuff?

Oh, people like you ... (in your withdrawl into nothingness far below,
you referenced Christianity; in many of your previous articles, you
refer to a Creator; ...)

> SCIENCE is a METHOD not an answer!  You heartless soulless wretch. Ha
> The ANSWERS depend upon which 'why' you have chosen going in.

Method?  I guess you could look at it that way.  Answer?  Answer to
what?  ... answer to "how".  No one really cares about an answer to
"why", except, of course, you.

> But I'm not telling you anything you don't know.

The statement applies quite well to itself.

> Hua asks me to defind Creator after I have defined it about three times
> on the net.  The Ground of Being.  I choose (because it makes the most
> sense to me - not from 'authority' or angst - after having considered
> the alternatives) to believe in a God who created the whole bannana.

"The Ground of Being"?  I think you are just some hacker's creation in
between compilations.  Can't you think of anything better than that?

Just in case you are serious:  That definition is junk ... what "ground"?
what "being"?  Perhaps you would be a little bit more specific.

You continued further, but I won't comment specifically, since none of
it make too much sense, unless you are trying to convince us that you
have lost your marbles.

> Me included.  It's late but I'll tell you I have some other ideas on
> the subject.  Don't go away now, will ya.
>
> Science!  Geee.  What a short sheet job that is to try and live by.
>
> But you little buddy.  You're not far from the Kingdom, I feel.
> Just stay out of the clutches of the Mormons and JW's and such.
> Until I get a chance to beat you over the head.
>
> We're way past Galieo now.  By the way, he was a Christian as you know
> if you have read his private papers.  Today we say, "Nevertheless, it
> moves, I think, maybe, possibly, or not."  Welcome to the Dark Ages,
> Modern version.  Life is lived on a bannana peel.  And we sing about it.
>
> Really got to go.  Just in to work to set up a training course for
> Monday.  Mommy and the kids need me at home.

Live long and prosper.
Keebler { hua@cmu-cs-gandalf.arpa }