[net.origins] Flying Squirrels

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (04/24/85)

>>>    Try telling that to flying squirrels and see how far it gets you.
>>
>>[DuBois]
>>Try asking them to really fly and see how far it gets you.  What, do
>>you think they have "wings"?

> [Isaac Dimitrovsky]
> The point of the flying squirrel example is NOT that the squirrel can
> really fly. After all, if it could, you would just say it was an example
> of an animal with a fully developed wing. The point of the example is
> precisely that the squirrel can't fly. In other words, it may be useful
> to an animal to have a limb which is both a bad wing and a reasonably
> good limb. In other other words, at least in the case of wings,
> it is possible to have intermediate forms which are useful for
> gliding and short flights but are not capable of full flight. And, at
> least in this case, I don't think you can dispute that this point has
> been established. Can you?

I will not dispute that they can glide and that they are not capable of
full flight.  That is obvious.  I am of course unconvinced that they
are intermediates (that is, intermediates which developed from a
non-intermediate).  The skin flaps are not wings and there is no
evidence that they ever will be.  There is also (as far as I am aware)
no evidence that they ever were anything but skin flaps.  Perhaps you
will say that there is not evidence that they were *not* something
besides skin flaps.  I think you would be right in this, but that is
not a very strong position to argue from.  This puts us at a standoff,
because we simply do not know whether they were ever any different than
they are now.  If it suits you to be an agnostic in this matter, fine.
That makes two of us.  But if you wish to use this as evidence of an
"intermediate" to press your case, I will object and demand evidence
which, I think, you shall be unable to produce.
--

Paul DuBois	{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois        --+--

"Danger signs, a creeping independence"                             |

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (04/26/85)

In article <975@uwmacc.UUCP> dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) writes:
> [...]

Here Paul is (for convenience perhaps) speaking as if evolution is true.

> >>[DuBois]
> >>Try asking them to really fly and see how far it gets you.  What, do
> >>you think they have "wings"?

Here Paul is asking for criteria that he should have specified himself.
Such as what makes a wing, or what makes a bad limb.  My dictionary gives
as examples of wings the structures of flying fish and flying lemurs,
which can only glide like flying squirrels.

> > [Isaac Dimitrovsky]
> > The point of the flying squirrel example is NOT that the squirrel can
> > really fly. After all, if it could, you would just say it was an example
> > of an animal with a fully developed wing. The point of the example is
> > precisely that the squirrel can't fly. In other words, it may be useful
> > to an animal to have a limb which is both a bad wing and a reasonably
> > good limb. In other other words, at least in the case of wings,
> > it is possible to have intermediate forms which are useful for
> > gliding and short flights but are not capable of full flight. And, at
> > least in this case, I don't think you can dispute that this point has
> > been established. Can you?

An excellent and well justified point.  Isaac (for convenience perhaps)
uses the term "intermediate" which is based on evolutionary assumptions,
and which wasn't necessary to his rebuttal.

> I will not dispute that they can glide and that they are not capable of
> full flight.  That is obvious.  I am of course unconvinced that they
> are intermediates (that is, intermediates which developed from a
> non-intermediate).

Here Paul attacks because Isaac used the same evolutionary context that
Paul did.  Paul is criticizing the idea of a historical intermediate,
while the example in question is a FUNCTIONAL intermediate.  Which Paul
said would be a "bad limb" before it would be a good wing.  Perhaps Paul
would like to explain why....

> The skin flaps are not wings and there is no
> evidence that they ever will be.  There is also (as far as I am aware)
> no evidence that they ever were anything but skin flaps.

Bat wings (by that same standard) are nothing but skin flaps.  I think
Paul needs to choose a better definition for "wings" than "anything
Paul chooses to call wings and nothing else."

I also responded to Paul's request for intermediates, with examples from
the Dryinidae (wasps) and the Glycypagid subfamily Ewinginae (hermit crab
mites.)  And another person brought up the intermediates between reptilian
and mammalian inner ear bones.  The fact is that there are innumerable
examples of functional intermediates, that are best explained as relicts
of historical intermediate ancestors.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

lonetto@phri.UUCP (Michael Lonetto) (05/05/85)

> full flight.  That is obvious.  I am of course unconvinced that they
> are intermediates (that is, intermediates which developed from a
> non-intermediate).  The skin flaps are not wings and there is no
> evidence that they ever will be.  There is also (as far as I am aware)
> no evidence that they ever were anything but skin flaps.  Perhaps you
> will say that there is not evidence that they were *not* something
> besides skin flaps.

> Paul DuBois	{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois        --+--

I am getting quite tired of reading this type of argument.  Both ends of
this dispute are arguing from speculation.  To each of  the  antagonists
the burden of proof rests on the other, since one is "religious" and the
other is not.  I wish that when people had a point to  make  they  would
choose  well  documented examples to support it.  It is obvious from the
tone of exchange in this net that any speculation will be  pounced  upon
by  one  side  or  the  other, most certainly by the soft spoken (though
somewhat intractable) Mr. DuBois.  While speculation has  its  place  in
both  science  and  religion, that place is not in presenting a point of
view in the presence of hostile criticism.

Life goes on.

Michael Lonetto
PHRI

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (05/07/85)

> Life goes on.

Will you please present some documentation to back this up?