[net.origins] On Natural Selection

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (04/22/85)

>Sure - exactly as expected.  Pure grandstanding, as Bill says.  If they
>get more complex, we expect it.  If they regress, we expect it.  If
>they stay exactly the same, we expected that, too.  So no matter what
>happens, we expect it.  So, as always, evolution reduces to
>description, not explanation or mechanism.  This is not very
>compelling as an "expectation".

The theory of evolution by way of natural selection says that random
changes to the genetic material of organisms and  environmental
conditions that change in unpredictable ways interact to create new
species.  Predictions about the direction of any particular change in
the natural state are not only not supported by this theory, they are
forbidden.  How can you make predictions about how random changes will
occur?

Darwin's theory allowed for both increase and decrease in complexity,
with an overall trend toward an increase, probably caused by factors
that cause a more complex organism to *generally* have a reproductive
advantage over one that is less complex.  Darwin's theory did not
allow for organisms that remain unchanged for long periods of time.
This very large hole in the theory was the reason for the formulation
of punctuated equilibrium.  The proponants of punctuated equilibrium
are even now fighting the battle that is required to bring a new theory
forth and get it accepted in the community of science. This theory
allows for stasis.

Criticizing the theory of evolution for not predicting what it says
cannot be predicted makes as much sense as throwing out the principle of
uncertainty because it doesn't predict the location and velocity of a
photon.

>If we know enough about the environment to say "Evolution is based on
>direct natural selection, thus at any given time it procedes [sic] in
>the direction appropriate to the immediate environment", we know enough
>to say why, and whether, hyrax split and one group stayed the same,
>while another didn't.  But we don't, so we can't.  We can guess if we
>want to - but that's all.

In order to say why, and whether Hyrax split and one group stayed the
same, while another didn't we would have to know a great deal about the
genetic characteristics of the Hyrax, about the random changes that
were occurring, and about the environmental conditions that Hyrax was
facing.  Obviously we don't have that knowledge.  This says nothing at
all about the theory.

>Sermon:
>
>This stuff is a positive hindrence to science.  We say "natural
>selection" and our brains stop thinking.  But until we understand the
>physiological and biochemical basis of organismal response to
>environmental stimuli, we're going to STAY STUCK, invoking the magical
>incantation "natural selection" whenever a problem comes up, and we're
>going to continue to remain ignorant.  Phooey.
>
>We say "Natural selection - Ah!  Now I understand."  But do we?  Of
>course we don't.  What do you understand?  It's a buzzword that tells
>us exactly nothing except that what happened, happened.  Now, surely we
>could have deduced that without natural selection.  I'm not denying the
>concept _per se_.  Of course selection occurs.  But the real question
>is why one thing should be selected and not another.
>
>I don't get it.  You guys all KNOW this.  I'n not telling you one
>single thing that you don't already know.  Yet this pretense of the
>idea that natural selection means something or tells us something, is
>maintained.  Why?  Why do you do it?
>
>End of sermon.

Not only do us guys not know this, we know it to be false.  The theory
of evolution through natural selection may not provide some with
enough explanation, but it provides far more in the way of explanation
than any other theory.  It offers a general mechanism by which one
species can change into another and has pointed the way to fruitful
research.  It is true that at the present time we do not know the
mechanism by which species change or remain the same, but I expect that
this is a situation that will change in our lifetime.

The question that is the focal point of this newsgroup will be decided
by that understanding of the physiological and biochemical basis of
organismal response to environmental stimuli that Paul references.  The
mechanisms by which organisms change and resist change will become
known, and this knowledge will destroy the theory of evolution or make
it even more obviously true than it is now.  If a thorough
understanding of the ways genetics works proves that species cannot
change, the theory of evolution will die.  If, on the other hand,
evolutionary mechanisms are found, that should still the voices of
Creationism, since debunking Evolution is all they got.
[]

fritz@phri.UUCP (Dave Fritzinger) (04/24/85)

> evolutionary mechanisms are found, that should still the voices of
> Creationism, since debunking Evolution is all they got.
> []

To follow this up, let me issue this challenge to all of you creationists
out there:  Give me some POSITIVE evidence of creationism that is not
out of the Bible.  All that I've seen so far has been negative evidence
in an effort to debunk evolution, while the evolutionists have been
supplying positive evidence.  Please, give me some facts supporting
creationism, or move this discussion to another net( net.religion
sounds appropriate to me)
Thanks in advance
Dave Fritzinger
Public Health Research Institute(phri)

dan@scgvaxd.UUCP (Dan Boskovich) (04/30/85)

In article <213@phri.UUCP> fritz@phri.UUCP (Dave Fritzinger) writes:
>> evolutionary mechanisms are found, that should still the voices of
>> Creationism, since debunking Evolution is all they got.
>> []
>
>To follow this up, let me issue this challenge to all of you creationists
>out there:  Give me some POSITIVE evidence of creationism that is not
>out of the Bible.  All that I've seen so far has been negative evidence
>in an effort to debunk evolution, while the evolutionists have been
>supplying positive evidence.  Please, give me some facts supporting
>creationism, or move this discussion to another net( net.religion
>sounds appropriate to me)
>Thanks in advance
>Dave Fritzinger
>Public Health Research Institute(phri)

 "Design" is evidence of a "Designer"!

 Before you say there is no evidence of design, first read what
 Darwin himself had to say concerning the "eye"!

 Biological clocks, electro-dynamic fields, DNA (bulding blocks),
 all are evidence of "design".

 Anyone with open eyes will see design when he looks at the world.
 It would a waste of time and space to give the numerous examples
 of design in our world.

 More positive evidence for creation is in the Second Law! The universe
 is running down. It can't be running down forever. Somewhere it must
 have been wound up; a starting point.
 Evolutionists say the Second Law does not apply to the earth because
 it is an open system. However the universe is a closed system. Given
 this, how could it have started in the first place. Before Evolution
 could have started on earth, it first had to produce earth, in a closed
 system; The Universe!
 Big Bang - No, Explosions cause disorder not order.
 Steady State - No, its running down!! Its not steady!!
 Creation - Definite beginning, design, order, running down, hmmm, seems
 to fit my origins theory!

 Darwinism is on its way out! If you don't think so, you are not up
 on current Evolution theory. Punctuationism is whats happening and this
 is just as much magic as you say Creation is. What is the difference
 between God creating Adam, and a reptile giving birth to a bird?

 Please, some evidence for P.E. if you will!

						Dan

"Darwinism is dead"

jho@ihuxn.UUCP (Yosi Hoshen) (05/01/85)

>  "Design" is evidence of a "Designer"!
Why assume that for a design there is a single designer?  There could
be many designers for a design.

>  More positive evidence for creation is in the Second Law! ...
>  Big Bang - No, Explosions cause disorder not order.

According to theremodynamics, there is an increase in entropy
(disorder) as we move towards equilibrium.  Overall we may
see growth in entropy, however thermodynamics does not preclude
a local decrease in entropy.  Try an experiment:  take some
water and freeze it in your refrigirator.  That water entropy
will decrease (ice is more ordered than liquid water).  However,
the enropy of its surrounding will increase!
--

Yosi Hoshen, Bell Laboratories
Naperville, Illinois, (312)-979-7321, Mail: ihnp4!ihuxn!jho

jp@lanl.ARPA (05/03/85)

> >  "Design" is evidence of a "Designer"!
> Why assume that for a design there is a single designer?  There could
> be many designers for a design.

Of course there's a designer, he's that kid playing sandbox.  But, maybe
he had friends over for the afternoon.

jp

dan@scgvaxd.UUCP (Dan Boskovich) (05/04/85)

In article <1037@ihuxn.UUCP> jho@ihuxn.UUCP (Yosi Hoshen) writes:
[Dan] >>  "Design" is evidence of a "Designer"!
>Why assume that for a design there is a single designer?  There could
>be many designers for a design.

  I agree! Thats why I have said three times before on the net that
  creation science is not concerned with naming a creator. It is just
  the scientific evidence for a "creation" as opposed to a purely
  naturalistic evolutionary origin.

>According to theremodynamics, there is an increase in entropy
>(disorder) as we move towards equilibrium.  Overall we may
>see growth in entropy, however thermodynamics does not preclude
>a local decrease in entropy.  Try an experiment:  take some
>water and freeze it in your refrigirator.  That water entropy
>will decrease (ice is more ordered than liquid water).  However,
>the enropy of its surrounding will increase!
>--

 Why do you say that ice is more ordered than liquid water?

				       Dan

  @There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale
  returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact!

					  Mark Twain

jho@ihuxn.UUCP (Yosi Hoshen) (05/05/85)

Responding to my previous posting Dan Boskovich asks:

>  Why do you say that ice is more ordered than liquid water?

Ice has a crystal structure.  In a crystal the basic structural unit,
containing few molecules (usually 1, 2, 3, .), is repeated throughout
the crystal, over 10**23 or more molecules.

In liquids, e.g. water, such order does not exist.  There may be some
local order over 10 or 20 molecules.  However that order does not
extends itself over the macroscopic sample.

It is possible to measure the decrease in entropy, which is related to
the increase in order, for liquid to solid transition.  When liquid
water converts to solid water (ice) there is a discontinuity in
the entropy function upon freezing.  The change in entropy for
freezing is -L/T where L is the latent heat of melting and T is
the temperature of melting (T is given in the absolute temperature
units).  For water(L) to water(S) transition we get

      -333/273 = -1.2 joules/(gram degree)

for the the entropy drop at 0 degrees C.

For a better understanding of the second law of thermodynamics,
entropy, order etc., I suggest reading K. Denbigh's book:
"The principles of chemical equilibrium" published by Cambridge
University Press.
--
Yosi Hoshen, AT&T-IS
Naperville, Illinois, (312)-979-7321, Mail: ihnp4!ihuxn!jho

padraig@utastro.UUCP (Padraig Houlahan) (05/05/85)

> In article <1037@ihuxn.UUCP> jho@ihuxn.UUCP (Yosi Hoshen) writes:
> [Dan] >>  "Design" is evidence of a "Designer"!
> >Why assume that for a design there is a single designer?  There could
> >be many designers for a design.
>
>   I agree! Thats why I have said three times before on the net that
>   creation science is not concerned with naming a creator. It is just
>   the scientific evidence for a "creation" as opposed to a purely
>   naturalistic evolutionary origin.

Hey! Surprise us. Give us some of this scientific evidence.

>  Why do you say that ice is more ordered than liquid water?
>
> 				       Dan

Because it is less random; the molecules are not free to wander around
to the same extent that they can in a liquid.

Padraig Houlahan

sdyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (05/05/85)

>  Why do you say that ice is more ordered than liquid water?
>

> 				       Dan

Amazing how these so-called "scientists" fail to display any
understanding of the out-of-context quotes by which they presume
to discredit evolution.

Is it any wonder that most mainstream scientists and educated persons
dismiss such presentations as not worth their time?  I guess I treat
net.origins as a kind of electronic "National Enquirer."  It's jaw-drop
city whenever Miller, Boskovich, and that-guy-from-Bell-Labs-who-posts-
the-Scientific-Evidence-articles come on-line.  Such patience and
perseverence the traditional scientific camp has!

Enquiring minds want to know,
--
/Steve Dyer
{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!sdyer

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (05/06/85)

>   @There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale
>   returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact!

I wonder of dan would be amused if we started posting quotations
from Mark Twain on religion?  Like from letters from earth or
"If man continues in the direction of enlightenment, his religious
practice may, in the end, attain some semblance of human decency"
or like that.

dan@scgvaxd.UUCP (Dan Boskovich) (05/06/85)

In article <1517@hao.UUCP> ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) writes:
>>   @There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale
>>   returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact!
>>

>I wonder of dan would be amused if we started posting quotations
>from Mark Twain on religion?  Like from letters from earth or
>"If man continues in the direction of enlightenment, his religious
>practice may, in the end, attain some semblance of human decency"
>or like that.

 Actually, I am well aware of Mark Twain's hatred for religion. But,
 his failure to acknowledge God has in no way impeded his insight into
 other areas of life. Many of his books are quite amusing. In fact, I
 am also quite a fan of Nathaniel Hawthorne, who also is quite obvious
 in his attacks against puritanical Christianity, yet manages to write
 some very interesting and fascinating stories.

 I hope I didn't offend you with my posting of Twain's quote. I will try
 to be as careful as all the evolutionists are out there so as not to
 offend anyone who worships science.

					     Dan

 Q: What did the chaplain on the Titanic say to his congregation?

 A: Lets all stand and sink together!

brian@digi-g.UUCP (Merlyn Leroy) (05/07/85)

>>  "Design" is evidence of a "Designer"!
>Why assume that for a design there is a single designer?  There could
>be many designers for a design.

YES!  This is *it*!!  Camels EXIST!  The Universe was created by COMMITTEE!

Merlyn Leroy
protoplasm is just the experimental version of plasm