[net.origins] general definitions and stuff

hua@cmu-cs-edu1.ARPA (Ernest Hua) (05/10/85)

> From: padraig@utastro.UUCP (Padraig Houlahan)
>
> > { my general definition of evolution. }
>
> I strongly disagree with this definition of evolution. The problem with it
> is that there are many different concepts associated with the word
> 'evolution' and your definition fails to emphasize the biological concept
> which this news group is primarily concerned with. The "natural flow
> of things" is not accurate for this discussion.

Quite true.  The definition that I gave covers the full scope of the term
"evolution".  Biological evolution is but a subset of that, and I wanted
to put this fact into perspective.  I agree that astronomic evolution (as
an example) is not relevant to net.origins (except perhaps in rare cases).
Biological evolution does address a lot of theories and concepts, and I
seriously doubt any reasonable definition of biological evolution can do
justice to all of them.  However, since you brought it up, I shall clarify
my definition somewhat by restricting it to biological evolution only:

    biological evolution: the emergence and the development of
        self-sustaining, self-maintaining and self-replicating
        forms, otherwise know as life.

Notes:  1. This definition, as a side effect, defines life.
        2. It does include the "origin" of life because this
           topic is significant.

Once again ... all comments, gripes, threats welcome.

Live long and prosper, but don't evolve;
you might get some people very upset!

Keebler { hua@cmu-cs-gandalf.arpa }