[net.origins] "Arndt" you pushing it a bit?

hua@cmu-cs-edu1.ARPA (Ernest Hua) (05/10/85)

> From: arndt@lymph.DEC
>
> Look Colin.  Sartre has made your point as well when he said,  "A
> finite  point is without meaning except in reference to an infin-
> ite reference point."  UNLESS, as you seem to  understand,  there
> is  SOMETHING  to give our lives and existence meaning then let's
> "eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die."

Really?  And where did he even imply that we should "eat drink and
be merry, for tomorrow we die"?  "Infinite reference point" is self-
contradicting.  A reference point is absolute, not infinite.

> It is not just ME that 'cannot get along with that idea' but  the
> whole,  including  today,  of man's culture screams out for SOME-
> THING to be transendent in his existence.

It seems like the only people who are "screaming out" are ultra-con-
servative fools like you and Falwell.  I personally do not know of
anyone else who is "screaming out".  I don't see any reason to even
look for "something to be transendent" in my existence.  I don't
know what YOUR problems is ... well, may be you revealed it later ...

> From, burial  customs,
> and on and on.  YOU are in the minority and some would say merely
> whistling in the graveyard.  Tell me that you can live with  that
> over your child's coffin and I might begin to believe you.

Would you care to give some statistics to prove this?  Or are you
just screaming out rhetoric to hopefully beat Colin into submission?

Aha!  Does this last sentence reveal something?  Are you morning over
YOUR child's coffin?  Seems like pretty good reason to WANT to believe
in something "transcendental".  Of course, reality is quite different
from what you WANT it to be.

> YOU claim knowledge you can't possibly  have  when  you  say  'we
> don't  belong  to it' [the world].  Twattle.  You don't KNOW that
> there IS NO meaning to life outside your skin!  You BELIEVE that,
> on 'faith' no less, because you somehow have worked yourself into
> a box with no one and nothing in there with you  except  'reason'
> and 'science'.  Wonderful!  I hope the three of you are very hap-
> py.

Thanks, ALL of us are quite happy without any faith in any mystical
nonsense.  Scientists happen to assume that something does not exist
until it can be show with sufficient proof that it does exist.  Gods,
spirits, demons, etc. are in a class of things called supernatural
because they are BY DEFINITION beyond nature, whatever that means.
Since they are already defined beyond our grasps, we must simply
ignore them as existent.  They may exist, but who in the world thought
of such a thing in the first place?  Do you believe in Santa Claus?
Why not?  Fool!  You only have some senseless sad dejected definition
of Christmas ... yeah, some guy who died on two pieces of wood because
he was a trouble maker ... me?  well, I've got a really nice guy who
comes down my chimney every Christmas and gives me wonderful presents.
I have something that truly gives meaning and joy to my Christmas; you
only worship some fool who died eons ago.(sarcasm to the max.)

> You ask for reasons?  What is the reason we MUST  find  a  reason
> WITHIN  ourselves????

Yes, be self-dependent.  Why depend upon something you don't understand?

> It  seems  logically that we can't find a reason there!

If you don't want to find it there, you certainly won't.  I have always
found some meaning somewhere in myself.  I don't depend upon it for
survival, however.  You, on the other hand, seem to think that if you
don't find some meaning anywhere, you might as well go out and kill
someone because there won't be someone to spank you in another life.

> (Sartre)  Is 'dignity' (see below)  the  best  you
> can  really  come  up  with?   Very sad.  As someone said, you're
> building on sinking sand.

Sad?  Dignity is sad?  And you have something better?  Blind faith
in some thousand-year-old book of fairy tales?  I call THAT sad.

> You seem to think 'scientists' are not
> men of 'faith' but deal somehow with assumptions that our science
> is built upon are just that - assumptions.

Damn right.  Assume that nature is consistent.  Do you actually
think that this is inaccurate or false?

> Only  grad  students don't  realize that and claim to be working
> in some kind of world where things are 'certain'.  They persist
> (you see them  here  on the  net) in claiming that because, based
> upon untestable assumptions, certain things follow therefore we
> have  'hard'  knowledge and those who choose assumptions that start
> with a Personal Absolute Being as an assumption upon which to build
> are somehow operating  on 'faith' - yucky religious faith at that!

That's right!  In fact, I hope some grads read this, and pound your
face in.  Say, what DO you do at DEC?  Take out the trash?  Obviously
your education stopped in kindergarden.  That's when little kids still
retain their wonder faith in things like the Easter Bunny.  You mean
you don't believe in the Easter Bunny?!  What's the matter with you?
(more sarcasm to the max.)

> There are
> any number of non-Christian scientists, many of whom I and others
> have quoted here on the net, who make just this statement.  Still
> we get 'Duncan Donuts' with his  ringing  statement  of  19th  C.
> scientific epistemology which little children faithfully copy for
> school projects with their silly parents approval.

Christian or non-Christian, scientists do not use faith.  We don't
care what other scientists do with their spare time, but they better
not try to bring any of their faith into their work, or they will
quickly lose their reputations and respectability.

> You have a silly definition of 'superstition'.  It seems to  mean
> anything  'science'  can't measure.  I take it to mean that which
> has no evidence (in the FULL definition of 'evidence') to back it
> up, - data OR logic.  You DO see the distinction between data and
> logic, don't you.  You wouldn't be a 'scientist' if  you  didn't.
> Data  is  what  we  believe  exists, by FAITH, and exercise logic
> upon.  At bottem we're ALL prayin' to SOME God!

Baloney.  You and other creationists use this "you do it too, so there"
argument to justify your childish behavior.  Problem is, we DON'T.  We
are tired of you try to convince us that we actually pray to some god
of science somewhere in Neverneverland.  Data either exists or it does
not.  We do not have FAITH that it is there.

Forget it, Ken.  I am sick of answering your nonscientific gripes and
emotional outbursts.  Your religion is overwhelming, but your science
is nonexistent.  Move your discussion to net.religion.

Read the rest of your silly post.  This is religious to the max.  Get
it off net.origins!

> [...]
> TO 'OBSERVE' THE WORLD.  Are you a grad student?  That would  ex-
> plain  much  of your understanding.  A little humor there, Colin.
> Remember I still love you.
>
> I can hardly hear you.  From  inside  your  mental  materialistic
> box.   You remember the reason Evolution MUST be true, don't you?
> Because if you go back and back one individual at a time you  get
> to  the  next grouping (animals to fish, fish to plants, etc) and
> so there MUST BE SOME WAY for it to have happened on the basis of
> the  'why',  your  terms 'wishful thinking' (it ain't 'facts' ma-
> dame) called EVOLUTION.  Gee, you mean we don't  start  'science'
> with 'science'????  No Wally, we don't!  We start with a point of
> view and see what 'fits'.  Fits observation and logic.  IT'S  NOT
> LOGICAL  TO  TAKE A POSITION THAT CAN'T BE TESTED - you know, one
> like Evolution where EVERYTHING fits because it's  so  open-ended
> you  just  make more room for the new data.  WHAT WOULD SHOW THAT
> EVOLUTION WAS FALSE?  Perhaps an interesting question?
>
> We 'need' an outside source because there there appears to be  no
> 'inside' source of meaning and it sure looks like there SHOULD be
> meaning to it all SOMEWHERE!  Is  it  wishful  thinking  to  seek
> another  particle a theory tells us should be there?  Is it wish-
> ful thinking to seek something we have 'reason' to believe should
> exist?
>
> I'm have no intention of saying any such thing.  Only  statements
> about  weights  of evidence.  Which really 'fits' the world.  And
> by now you realize that when I say 'world' I don't mean just that
> which  hangs on the end of my slide rule.  But 'assumptions' that
> fit reason and logic and the way I think and the way  I  think  I
> observe the world.  What I would call the 'backbone' of science.
>
> You don't know what you are talking about, guy.  There is to be a
> 'new  heavens  and  a  new earth' where all the old things are no
> more - no more tears, death, etc.  Where did  you  get  the  idea
> that  there  will be no physical world in the Christian world-to-
> come?  It's this current evil, broken world that will pass  away.
> And  by  the  way,  if you read the Bible you find out that it is
> nothing for Christians to look forward to from the point of  view
> of  those  who are going to live through it.  Great suffering.  I
> think many Christians who DO look  forward  to  the  'end  times'
> don't have this in mind the way it should be.
>
> Come on Colin, take a  little  'kindergarten  name-calling'.   It
> might loosen you up.  It's allowed on the 'debate floor'.
>
> As if it's naughty to think about these  things.   Really  Colin.
> Big  bad  Creationist.   Claims  there  is a reason to have hope.
> When we just KNOW (learned it in school) there is  no  reason  to
> have  hope.   We're  all each just a funny little electron matirx
> with delusions of grandeur.   Because Democritus says so??

Please die.  Don't prosper.  You don't deserve it.
Keebler { hua@cmu-cs-gandalf.arpa }