[net.origins] hypocrisy, distortions, lies ... maybe it IS a communist conspiracy!

hua@cmu-cs-edu1.ARPA (Ernest Hua) (05/11/85)

> From: dan@scgvaxd.UUCP (Dan Boskovich)
>
> In other words, water, when acted  upon  by  an  external  energy
> source, (electricity), with a driving mechanism and a program for
> specific work, (refrigeration), is  transformed  to  a  state  of
> higher order.  But when left to its own devices reverts back to a
> lower order or random state.

Read my previous post ... it has an simple example that will demon-
strate the weakness of your argument.

> > { a few examples of problematic "designs" }
> >
> > It would (be) a waste of time and space to give the numerous  ex-
> > amples of BAD design in our world.
>
> Just like an arrogant human being to think he  knows  and  under-
> stands everything about all of life and nature. If you would like
> to discuss each of these in depth just say so. There is much more
> to it than your oversimplification of things.

Please expound ...  (I can't wait to hear this ...)  Arrogant?  And
just where did the original writer say that he knows everything about
all of life and nature?  Arrogant?  Gee, aren't we scientific!

Stop BSing us and answer the question/objection.  You can't simply
write it off with a "you just think you know nature, but you really
don't".  Get some evidence to support your words.  If you are in the
position to judge a person's knowledge or the lack thereof, you must
have the knowledge to be able to tell the difference.  So please tell
us ... what do you know about nature that he does not?  "More to it"?
Please tell us ... don't use rhetoric to play games ... get to the
facts.

> > Come on!  No punctuated equilibriumist will tell you that a  rep-
> > tile  ever  gave  birth  to  a bird!  Quit misrepresenting things
> > which you obviously know little about!
>
> See "The Wonderful Egg",  IPCAR,  1958.  Specific  recommendation
> from  the American Association For The Advancement of Science and
> the American Council on Education.

1958?  When did PE develope?  How about the quote?  (This is to insure
that you are not just parroting the reference notes in some creationist
pamphlet; that, in fact, you do know what you are talking about.)

> > P.E. is a theory, not a fact like evolution.  It is a theory that
> > attempts  to  explain  some aspects of evolution that some scien-
> > tists feel are not adequately  explained  by  natural  selection.
> > Disproving  P.E. does not affect the fact of evolution.  The idea
> > is, I think, not so much if there is evidence for P.E., but if it
> > explains the facts involved better than other theories of natural
> > selection etc.  If  it  does,  then  perhaps  experiment  can  be
> > designed  to test the theory, (which will have the effect of gen-
> > erating at the moment as far as all this is concerned.  It  still
> > has  nothing  to  do with the fact of evolution, just some of the
> > methods.
>
> So far, P.E. is a theory based on a lack of evidence for gradual-
> ism.

No ... PE is based upon the seemingly stepwise, rather than linear,
trends in the fossil record.

> What FACT of Evolution?

The general trends in nature ... the fossils ...

> > Fool!  You people never give up, do you?!  Would you care to  ex-
> > plain  how one defines "design"?  (I warn you, I will nail you to
> > the wall if you even try 'cause I know you will  have  to  strain
> > logic beyond its limits to do this.)
>
> Design - Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary - verb. To  conceive
> and  plan out in the mind. To have as a purpose. To devise as for
> a specific function or end. To conceive or execute a plan.  noun.
> A  mental  project  or  scheme  in which means to an end are laid
> down.  A particular purpose held in  view  by  an  individual  or
> group.  Deliberate purposive planning!

Thanks, but that was not what I trying to get you to tell me.  I also
can find a dictionary to figure out the standard definitions.  I want
the application of the word to your claims.  The implications are too
wild to be acceptable.  The very idea that there is some "purpose"
makes creationism impossible to deal with in science.  Another pro-
blem is, of course, the creator.  There is no way for science to
examine a creator.  Therefore, creationism is beyond the bounds of
science.

> Design can be described as that which has irreducible  properties
> of  organization.  For example, what does it take to make an air-
> plane fly?

Fuel ... a pilot ...

> Creative design and organization.

You need that to make it.  Once you have a working airplane, it will fly.

> Take off the wings and see if they will fly!

Trivial stuff ...

> Take out the engine and see if it will fly.

More trivial stuff ...

> In other words, an airplane is a collection of non-flying parts!

Damn trivial ...

> But what makes it fly?

Fuel ... a pilot ...

> Creative design and organization.

Repeating yourself a thousand times won't convince the engineers that
they need to put some special ingredient in their planes to make them
fly ...

Incidentally, you know for a fact that a plane is designed.  How could
you say that about a virus?

> Second, among all the molecules that translate DNA into  protein,
> there  is  not one molecule that is alive.  Not a single molecule
> in your body is alive.

No shit, Sherlock.  (didn't I say this before somewhere?)  None
of those molecules fit the definition of life forms.  Hence, none
of them are alive.

> A living cell  is  a  collection  of  non-living molecules.  What
> does it take to make a living cell alive? Design and CREATION!

Really?  And how does that follow?  Given the fact that life is a
high-level interpretation, and therefore, does not apply to things
like individual molecules, the word "alive" is not applicable in
the description of molecules, hence my ultra-sarcastic comment on
your trivially true remark.

Just what are you refering to by "Design and CREATION"?  Do you
really think that there are little elves adding some secret ingredient
called "Design and CREATION"?  Reminds me of a similar creationist
argument calling upon "know-how".  They claimed that even if life
is created in the laboratories, it required "know-how" to create it.
It tickled me pink to think that the genetic engineers are running
around with bags of "know-how" emptying them into their test tubes.

> Here is where design and order intersect. In  "Scientific  Ameri-
> can", one issue was made into a book; "Evolution" in 1978.  Dick-
> erson, after describing the problems in producing the right kinds
> of molecules for living systems, says that those droplets that by
> "sheer chance" contained the right molecules survived longer.  He
> continues,  "This is not life, but it is getting close to it. The
> missing ingredient is AN ORDERLY MECHANISM!" In other words, life
> is  a  property  of  organization that was produced by an orderly
> mechanism or a "deliberate purposive plan" or a design!

How in the world do you equate an "orderly mechanism" with "deliberate
purposive plan" or "design"?

> "Darwin Life and Letters", Vol 2, page 67, "The eye to  this  day
> gives me cold shudders".
>
> "The Origin of Species", page 160, "To suppose that the eye, with
> all  of  its  inimitable  contrivances for adjusting the focus to
> different distances, for admitting different  amounts  of  light,
> and  for  the  correction  of spherical and chromatic aberration,
> could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely con-
> fess, absurd in the highest possible degree."

Okay ... I guess I will have to lead your hand through this one.  (Not
too unusual, really.)  Can you say "emotional description"?  Can you
open the dictionary and find out what this means?  Can you say "sub-
jective"?  Can you say "irrelevant"?  Come on!  Get out that Webster
and figure out the difference between objective and subjective des-
cription!

> > Dan, are you try to give us a good laugh or  what?   I  guess  it
> > would  take  some  beating  to  convince  you that you don't even
> > understand the surface of the second law  of  thermodynamics  and
> > that there is much more than just "a running down universe".  The
> > design argument is bogus.  How  do  you  perceive  design?   What
> > "designed"  things are you using to compare?  What "non-designed"
> > things are you using to compare?  If, as creationists claim,  God
> > designed  everything,  how  do you perceive design when you can't
> > tell the difference between a  "designed"  article  and  a  "non-
> > designed"  article  (because  you  can't)?  I am interested as to
> > what you will propose to get out of this bind.
>
> The difference between a tumbled pebble and an arrowhead, an  au-
> tomobile  and  a junkyard, a statue and a mountain, a human being
> and a pile of chemicals is that one is a result of time,  chance,
> and  inherent properties of matter, and the other has irreducible
> properties of organization that were produced by design and crea-
> tion.

Your answer is bogus.  You do not tell what the differences are because
you assume that everyone knows what you are refering to.  Unfortunately,
what you see must be quite different because none of what you have said
is recognized as evidence/proof of what you claimed.

Tape recorder time ...

Since you did not answer the questions ... instead you resort to raising
examples without explaining them ... I will have to repeat my questions:
Now, once and for all, answer the questions with straight forward objective
answers!

1) What characteristics distinguishes a designed article from a non-designed
article?

2) Given that creationists claim that the entire universe is designed, the
answers to the first question becomes useless, since there is nothing that
can be used as a comparison.  "It's all designed; just look around you" is
not valid since it presupposes that everything is designed and that the
characteristics of this design is found by examining that which is assumed
to be designed so that one can distinguish the designed article from the
non-designed article though this is useless since everything is assumed
to be designed.  (Take a heavy breath.)  In light of this ... how does one
perceive and distinguish design?

3) What is/are the purpose(s) of life? (in the off chance that you can
successfully answer #2)  You claim to perceive design and purpose.  The
appropriate followup would be a listing of the design and purpose that
you claim to perceive.

Keebler { hua@cmu-cs-gandalf.arpa }