[net.origins] Non-Proof by Dan

rafferty@cmu-cs-edu1.ARPA (Colin Rafferty) (05/04/85)

Dan Boskovich says:

> "Design" is evidence of a "Designer"!
>
>   [ A survey of various examples of excellent design is given... ]
>
> Anyone with open eyes will see design when he looks at the world.
> It would a waste of time and space to give the numerous examples
> of design in our world.

Evidence of "design" is subjective, not objective.  When I look at the
world, I am awed by the majesty and the beauty of it.  This does not mean
that it was *created*, just that it was well-made.  Not a very good proof.

> More positive evidence for creation is in the Second Law! The universe
> is running down. It can't be running down forever. Somewhere it must
> have been wound up; a starting point.

I am not saying that it wasn't "wound up", just that your "theory" is not a
very good explanation of it.  Simply because we don't have a good
explanation of how the "Primeval Egg" was arrived at before the Big Bang,
doesn't mean that we have to revert to superstition to explain the origins of
the universe.

> Evolutionists say the Second Law does not apply to the earth because
> it is an open system. However the universe is a closed system. Given
> this, how could it have started in the first place. Before Evolution
> could have started on earth, it first had to produce earth, in a closed
> system; The Universe!

Closed systems can produce smaller parts (Earth) with higher order than the
rest of the environment.  This is not a problem.

> Creation - Definite beginning, design, order, running down, hmmm, seems
> to fit my origins theory!

Unfortunately, you have not given any SCIENTIFIC argument for Creationism,
just gut intuition.

> What is the difference
> between God creating Adam, and a reptile giving birth to a bird?

Nothing, since neither happened.

----
            Colin Rafferty { Math Department, Carnegie-Mellon University }

"According to convention there is a sweet and a bitter, a hot and a cold,
and according to convention, there is an order.  In truth, there are atoms
and a void."
                -Democritus(400 B.C.)

jho@ihuxn.UUCP (Yosi Hoshen) (05/13/85)

Dan Boskovich says:

> "Design" is evidence of a "Designer"!
>
>   [ A survey of various examples of excellent design is given... ]
>
> Anyone with open eyes will see design when he looks at the world.
> It would a waste of time and space to give the numerous examples
> of design in our world.

Carrying this argument to its logical conclusion we have to infer that
the designer/creator (god) has been designed/created.  Let us assume
for the sake of argument that the universe and living organism were
designed by by intelligence designer since they an exhibit an
intelligence design.  The same logic implies that since the designer
must be intelligence, therefore, he must have been designed.  Remember,
intelligence implies design, and therefore a designer.  So, who designed
the designer?
--
Yosi Hoshen, AT&T-IS
Naperville, Illinois, (312)-979-7321, Mail: ihnp4!ihuxn!jho

lambe@csd2.UUCP (Susan Lambe) (05/15/85)

[]
Yosi Hoshen writes:
> Carrying this argument to its logical conclusion we have to infer that
> the designer/creator (god) has been designed/created.  Let us assume
> for the sake of argument that the universe and living organism were
> designed by by intelligence designer since they an exhibit an
> intelligence design.  The same logic implies that since the designer
> must be intelligence, therefore, he must have been designed.  Remember,
> intelligence implies design, and therefore a designer.  So, who designed
> the designer?

Wait! I have the solution to this problem. We were all originally designed
by designer 0 in time t. designer 0 was designed by designer 1 in time t/2.
And so on. We thus avoid having to make the unconvincing explanation that
the designer (god?) always existed (for then why couldn't the universe
always have existed). At the same time, we have a finite time in past
history for the origin of everything, before which there was nothing!

Isaac Dimitrovsky