[net.origins] Mutations, Evolution, and Human Affairs

wallace@ucbvax.ARPA (David E. Wallace) (05/18/85)

In article <1083@uwmacc.UUCP> dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (A Ray Miller) writes:

>Personal comment here.  Why don't you evolutionists all move your homes over a
>toxic waste dump?  Mutations are how you claim evolution progresses; increasing
>the mutation rate should increase the rate of evolution.  Should we disband the
>EPA?  I'd really like an answer to this question from any evolutionist who
>doesn't consume heavy metals with his scrambled eggs for breakfast.
>
>A. Ray Miller
>Univ Illinois

Ok, I'll give it a shot.  Point number 1: Increasing the mutation rate won't
necessarily increase the rate of evolution.  Since evolution depends on the
interaction of natural selection with mutations, increasing the mutation rate
by itself may or may not increase the rate of evolution, just as increasing
the number of programmers assigned to a job may or may not increase the rate
at which the job gets done (it depends on whether or not the variable increased
had been the limiting factor, and on the interactions between factors).
In the case of evolution, I would say the result depends on the amount of
selective pressure on the species in question, on the amount of variation
already present in the population, and on the previous mutation rate.
If the species is well-adapted to a reasonably stable environment (selective
pressure low), has a reasonable amount of variation already present, and
a non-trivial existing mutation rate, increasing the mutation rate might
not do diddley-squat to the rate at which the species evolves.
However, it probably would increase the number of defectives born in each
generation, which brings me to my second point.

	Point number 2: Even if increasing our mutation rate would increase
the rate at which we evolve, that is not necessarily a morally desirable
end.  Evolution is a natural process, like gravity.  As such, it is
intrinsically amoral: neither right nor wrong, moral nor immoral in itself;
it just is.  It describes how things are, and how they have gotten to be
that way, not the way things should be.  That is a judgement that we
must make, as thinking, feeling, moral beings.  When gravity operates to hold
the atmosphere about our planet, allowing us to breathe and live, we judge
the result to be good.  When gravity brings an aerial walkway crashing
down, killing hundreds of innocent people below, we judge the result to
be bad, a terrible tragedy.  But it is the same force, the same law that
operates in both cases.  That force is neither good nor bad in itself;
it is we who judge its results to be good or bad, based in large measure
on how it affects us and our fellow human beings.

	So too it is with evolution.  Because one of the many results of the
evolution of life on this particular planet has been to produce us, we tend
to regard this particular result as good, in our anthropocentric way.
But this does not mean that all the results of evolution are to be judged
as equally good or desirable.  If a million less fit blades of grass perish
in the process of evolving some new species of grass that is better adapted
to an environment, no one of us much cares, since we do not tend to
attribute moral value to the life of a blade of grass.  But we do attribute
moral value to the lives of human beings.  If we were to increase our
own mutation rate, it is quite possible that we would in fact evolve some
new and potentially useful features (such as improved resistance to heavy
metal poisoning, for example).  But it is virtually certain that among
the other consequences of this increased mutation rate would be an increase
in the number of stillbirths and crippling birth defects.  This is not a
morally neutral consequence.  I, and I think most other people, would regard
the potential gain from an "increased rate of evolution" as not being worth
such a terrible price.

	What's more, to take such a course would be to disregard the value of
our most valuable resource -- our brains.  Biological evolution is a rather
chancy thing, after all.  It tends to take a long time in human terms --
thousands or millions of years for many significant changes.  While the general
direction of change is predictable -- species evolve in the direction of
greater adaptation to their environments -- the specific details are not.
If we increased the concentration of heavy metals in our environment,
we might evolve an increased resistance to heavy metal poisoning by itself,
or we might get the resistance along with some undesirable side effects, such
as decreased intelligence or lifespan, or we might just become extinct if
we didn't evolve the resistance fast enough.  Remember that one of the
side effects of increased resistance to malaria is sickle-cell anemia
in those offspring unfortunate enough to inherit a double dose of the
gene in question.  I'm not knocking biological evolution totally -- it's what
got us here, wonderful brains and all.  But now that we're here, we can do
better than that to cope with our environment.  Through cultural evolution,
using our wonderful brains to develop and transmit culture, we can adapt
our environment to us instead of the other way around.

	In my opinion, cultural evolution is one of the truly great
innovations in the history of life on this planet, ranking right up there
with the genetic code, multi-cellular structure, internal skeletons,
air-breathing, and warm-bloodedness.  For the first time, a species has
been freed from many of the constraints of biological evolution.  Whereas
biological evolution takes millenia or eons to do its work, cultural evolution
can occur in months, years, or decades.  Just look at all the human race
has accomplished -- good, bad, and indifferent -- in the past 5,000 years
of recorded history, a bare instant in the history of life on earth.
What's more, cultural evolution is more than just a speeded up version of
biological evolution: it has the potential to overcome one of biological
evolution's most fundamental limitations, the inability to plan for future
changes in the environment.  Biological evolution operates by adapting
organisms to their immediate environment.  Whether or not these adaptations
help the organism survive if the environment changes drastically is pretty
much a matter of dumb luck.  Some do, some don't.  But we are not bound
by this limitation in our cultural evolution: we can plan ahead, anticipate
the future effects of present causes, and take action to head off those
consequences we consider harmful.  We don't do this perfectly, of course,
and even when we can do this, that is no guarantee that we will.  But even
though we do it imperfectly, that's still better than a blind crapshoot.

	So given the environmental challenge of toxic wastes in the
environment, we have two choices.  We can sit tight and take our chances with
the crapshoot, waiting for biological evolution to do its thing, hoping
that it doesn't saddle us with too many nasty side effects, and that it
happens soon enough to keep us all from joining the dinosaurs in that
great extinction museum in the sky.  Or we can use the brains that biological
evolution gave us, and the cultural evolutionary software we're running
on them to recognize the problem and take action, by removing the wastes
from those parts of the environment where they can affect us, and by
redesigning and redirecting as many of our cultural activities that generate
such wastes as we can, thereby accomplishing the desired result (increased
resistance to the threat of toxic wastes) more surely, more swiftly, and
at a far lower cost in human lives and hopes.  Morally and rationally, the
choice is clear.  So that is both why I'm not going to move over a toxic
waste dump, and why we shouldn't disband the EPA.

	Two more things: a moral and a comment.

The moral: Increasing the human mutation rate to facilitate further evolution
is like jumping off a tall building to facilitate the action of gravity.

The comment: A variation of the above argument is the basis for refutation
of Social Darwinists and others who believe that because biological
evolution works that way, society should too.

David E. Wallace	(...!ucbvax!wallace	wallace@Berkeley)