[net.origins] The Game of Life

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (A Ray Miller) (05/28/85)

/* Written  3:35 pm  May 24, 1985 by miller@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA in uiucdcsb:net.origins */
/* ---------- "The Game of Life" ---------- */
Keith Doyle writes:
> Simple organic molecules have been seen to form from elementary constituents
> (ammonia, methane, etc.), and assemble themselves into self-replicating
> nucleic acids which mutate and are altered in frequency by natural
> selection, all in the laboratory under conditions resembling the prebiotic
> earth.  Note that all 'specific work' has to mean is replication.

     Hello?  What's this?  I believe that any organic-based widget which is
"self-replicating" would in fact be called LIFE.  Now if evolutionists have
demonstrated LIFE arising from "conditions resembling the prebiotic earth" it
would indeed be news.  Has Keith chosen net.origins to make a Nobel Prize
quality announcement?

A. Ray Miller
Univ Illinois
/* End of text from uiucdcsb:net.origins */

--

Paul DuBois     {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois        --+--