[net.origins] Prediction or Observation? II

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (05/22/85)

> [Keith Doyle]
> Being aware of the fact that creationists at the ICR must sign an affidavit
> attesting that they believe that the Bible is to be taken literally etc.
> it would appear that such an observed transmutation could then be explained
> as an 'act of God' or a 'miracle' or who knows what, but dosen't necessarily
> disprove creation. (as one would expect from current creationist tactics).

Of course.  Anything *could* be explained as a miracle...but an
*observed* transition would be better evidence than an *inferred* one.
Example:  creationists fully accept the _Biston betularia_ phenomenon.
The "transition" from a predominantly light-colored population to a
predominantly dark one (and now back again) has been observed.  No one
has proposed to explain it as a miracle that I know of.  Now, I know
that this isn't exactly what you mean by an "observed transmutation" -
but I prefer to worry about that (i.e., "explain it away"! :-) ) when you
come up with one.

>> [Dan Boskovich]
>> I would be interested in hearing some examples of how Evolution
>> could be falsified?

> [Keith Doyle]
> One basic prediction of evolution is, that life, *all* life, as diverse as
> it is linked up in a hierarchical arrangement of similarities.  We might
> postulate then, that all life is constructed using the basic building
> block DNA.  If however we discovered one or more life forms that didn't
> use DNA as a building block, we may have falsified at least one aspect
> of evolutionary theory.

"At least one aspect"?  You just called it the "basic prediction of
evolution".  That seems to me more than simply "an aspect".  But what
sort of prediction is it when one "predicts" it after *observing* the
(generally) hierarchical arrangement of organisms?  One hardly needs
evolution to "predict" an underlying similarity.

I also doubt very much whether non-uniformity would actually be taken
to falsify anything.  We can see this by asking what would happen if
this basic prediction failed.  Would it be evidence against evolution?
Nope.  Why?  Because it would merely show that the origin of life
occurred more that once, and in different ways - all of which would be
evolutionary ways, of course.

So how could one test it, really?  When one insists on interpreting
all facts from within an evolutionary framework, it is hardly likely
that the framework shall be contradicted.  Aspects of it, yes (as you
said), but not the framework as a whole.

This is similar to the statement that's been thrown around about
fossils of higher animals being found in early strata.  It has been
said that this would falsify evolution.  It wouldn't.  All that
happens is that the interpretation is changed to "it appears that this
organism evolved earlier than was formerly realized.  Clearly then,
it must have earlier ancestors than was supposed."  This is what in
fact *actually* happens, for instance, with the bird fossils that were
as old as _Archaeopteryx_.  "Too early" fossils don't make a dent.

Also, if one wants to make the hierarchy a criterion, one had better be
careful to leave a back door open, because the hierarchy is violated.
Eukaryotic cells are said to have been invaded by bacteria that turned
into mitochondria.  Then they were invaded by cyanobacteria that were
the source of chlorophyll in the primitive cells from which all green
plants arose.  So you have branches of the tree growing together
again.  Of course...it *could* have been a miracle!  :-)

--

Paul DuBois     {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois        --+--

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (05/24/85)

In article <1127@uwmacc.UUCP> dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) writes:
> > [Keith Doyle]
> > One basic prediction of evolution is, that life, *all* life, as diverse as
> > it is linked up in a hierarchical arrangement of similarities.  We might
> > postulate then, that all life is constructed using the basic building
> > block DNA.  If however we discovered one or more life forms that didn't
> > use DNA as a building block, we may have falsified at least one aspect
> > of evolutionary theory.
>
> "At least one aspect"?  You just called it the "basic prediction of
> evolution".  That seems to me more than simply "an aspect".  But what
> sort of prediction is it when one "predicts" it after *observing* the
> (generally) hierarchical arrangement of organisms?  One hardly needs
> evolution to "predict" an underlying similarity.

The prediction of evolution that has been fulfilled is that MORE similarities
will be found, allowing incorporation of all organisms into the hierarchy.
The ubiquity of DNA/RNA and attendent machinery, linking all the diversity
of life, is something separate creation could not predict without postulating
an unimaginative  (:-)) creator.

> I also doubt very much whether non-uniformity would actually be taken
> to falsify anything.  We can see this by asking what would happen if
> this basic prediction failed.  Would it be evidence against evolution?
> Nope.  Why?  Because it would merely show that the origin of life
> occurred more that once, and in different ways - all of which would be
> evolutionary ways, of course.

Have Newton's Laws been falsified?  Yes and no.  They are special cases of
general relativity.  If certain kinds of non-uniformity were found, our
current ideas of evolution might become special cases of a supplanting theory.
Such as a multiple origin theory.  For an example of another type of
non-uniformity, if we found that Biblical kinds had apparently unbridgeable
gaps between their cellular machinery (one used DNA, another used XXX, and
each other kind used a different method), then we would have to declare
their similarities analogous (rather than homologous) and evolution would
be falsified.

> So how could one test it, really?  When one insists on interpreting
> all facts from within an evolutionary framework, it is hardly likely
> that the framework shall be contradicted.  Aspects of it, yes (as you
> said), but not the framework as a whole.

The trick is to find another framework that explains things better.
For example, the old theories of epicycles weren't really contradicted:
they could merely have been adjusted for the individual cases.  But
Kepplers description by elliptical orbits sweeping out constant areas
per unit time proved far less complex and far more accurate.

No disproof involved: just a better fit of data to hypothesis.

> This is similar to the statement that's been thrown around about
> fossils of higher animals being found in early strata.  It has been
> said that this would falsify evolution.  It wouldn't.  All that
> happens is that the interpretation is changed to "it appears that this
> organism evolved earlier than was formerly realized.  Clearly then,
> it must have earlier ancestors than was supposed."  This is what in
> fact *actually* happens, for instance, with the bird fossils that were
> as old as _Archaeopteryx_.  "Too early" fossils don't make a dent.

Actually, your example isn't very good.  Bird fossils of any sort are RARE.
With extremely sparse data like that, it's hard to find close to the
earliest species.  So we're not surprised if ancestors are found a few
million years earlier.  But mammal fossils are common.  It would be VERY
surprising to find a mammal fossil in a Carboniferous (or earlier) deposit.
Fossils this early WOULD make a dent.  Which is why creationists keep
hanging out at Pauluxy. (sp?)

> Also, if one wants to make the hierarchy a criterion, one had better be
> careful to leave a back door open, because the hierarchy is violated.
> Eukaryotic cells are said to have been invaded by bacteria that turned
> into mitochondria.  Then they were invaded by cyanobacteria that were
> the source of chlorophyll in the primitive cells from which all green
> plants arose.  So you have branches of the tree growing together
> again.  Of course...it *could* have been a miracle!  :-)

Actually, the hierarchy is broken with the formation of every zygote.
Mitochondria and chloroplasts can still be considered (obligate) symbionts.
There are some other organelles of eucaryotic cells (nucleolus maybe?)
that might also have a symbiotic origin.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (05/24/85)

> This is similar to the statement that's been thrown around about
> fossils of higher animals being found in early strata.  It has been
> said that this would falsify evolution.  It wouldn't.  All that
> happens is that the interpretation is changed to "it appears that this
> organism evolved earlier than was formerly realized.  Clearly then,
> it must have earlier ancestors than was supposed."  This is what in
> fact *actually* happens, for instance, with the bird fossils that were
> as old as _Archaeopteryx_.  "Too early" fossils don't make a dent.
> Paul DuBois     {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois        --+--
   "Too early" fossils don't make a dent because none of the examples that
have come to light are particularly impressive.  I'll leave it as an
exercise to the reader to decide just why that might be the case.  The
statement stands that a strong anachronism would violate evolutionary
theory.  A trivial, and unrefuted example, would be the discovery of
the skeleton of a human being, or any other sufficiently modern mammal,
in really old strata.  The fossil record is quite rich for more than 600
million years into the past.  Why aren't human fossils found except in the
last few million years?

   As for those bird fossils, could you give a reference to that?  (I think
you already did earlier but I've lost it.)  There are at least two important
points to keep in mind with them.  First, in what sense were the fossils
"modern"?  Someone else has already commented that other paleotologists
think they are probably pterosaurs.  The difference between birds and
pterosaurs are sufficiently numerous that I'm tempted to believe that the
fossils are extremely fragmentary and "modern" means that the bones are
hollow and fragile.  Second, archeopteryx could coexist with its descendants
as  long as it didn't directly compete with them.  The only real impossibility
is that its descendants couldn't predate it.

"Don't argue with a fool.      Ethan Vishniac
 Borrow his money."            {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan
                               Department of Astronomy
                               University of Texas

long@oliveb.UUCP (A Panther Modern) (05/25/85)