[net.origins] 116 reasons

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (05/21/85)

[]

And now it's time to play "Classify that reason".

I've really fallen behind on this, and this update will be too short
to change much.  Oh well.

Just to remind you all what the categories are we have

  1) Arguments in favor of creationism
  2) Irrelevant points
  3) Incorrect points
  4) Arguments against evolution having occurred
  5) Arguments which point out significant gaps in our current understanding
      of evolution.

The updated score is

  category            articles              total
   1                    14                    1
   2                    3,4,7,11,16,17        6
   3                    2,6,9,10,12,13,15,18  8
   4                     -                    0
   5                     1,5                  2

It's been a while so let me quote the thesis of point 18.

>       18.  Stories claiming that primitive, ape-like  men  have  been
>            found   are   overstated  [a-c].  It  is  now  universally
>            acknowledged  that  Piltdown  man  was  a  hoax  [d].  The
>            fragmentary  evidence  that constituted Nebraska man was a
>            pig's  tooth.  Prior  to  1978,  the  known   remains   of
>            Ramapithecus  consisted  merely  of a handful of teeth and
>            jaw fragments. It is now known that these  fragments  were
>            pieced  together  incorrectly by Louis Leakey [e] so as to
>            resemble portions of the human jaw [f].  Ramapithecus  was
>            just  an  ape  [g].  The  discoverer  of  Java  man  later
>            acknowledged that Java man was similar to a  large  gibbon
>            [h,i]  and  that  he  had withheld evidence to that effect
>            [j-m]. Peking man is considered by many experts to be  the
>            remains  of  apes that were systematically decapitated and
>            exploited for food by true man [n,o].  Furthermore,  Skull
>            1470, discovered by Richard Leakey, is more human-like and
>            yet  older  than   Java   man,   Peking   man,   and   the
>            Australopithecines [p,q]. Detailed computer studies of the
>            Australopithecines have conclusively shown that  they  are
>            not   intermediate   between   man   and   apes  [r].  The
>            Australopithecines, which were made famous  by  Louis  and
>            Mary Leakey, are actually quite distinct from both man and
>            apes. Lucy, a type  of  Australopithecine,  was  initially
>            believed  to have walked upright in a human manner. Recent
>            studies of  Lucy's  entire  anatomy,  not  just  her  knee
>            joints,  now  show  that this is highly improbable [s] and
>            that she probably swung from the trees  [t,u].  For  about
>            100  years  the  world was led to believe that Neanderthal
>            man was stooped and ape-like.  Recent  studies  show  that
>            this was based upon some Neanderthal men who were crippled
>            with  arthritis  and  rickets  [v-x].   Neanderthal   man,
>            Heidelberg  man, and Cro-Magnon man were completely human.
>            Artists' depictions, especially of the fleshy portions  of
>            their  bodies, are quite imaginative and are not supported
>            by the evidence [y]. Furthermore,  the  dating  techniques
>            are questionable.

This statement mixes together some uncontroversial points with some that
are so wrong that if I had a category for outrageous lies then #18 would
surely qualify.  Some of the more noticeable ones are:

        1) Skull 1470 is *not* more human like than "Java Man" or "Peking
           Man" both of which are homo erectus.  The striking thing about
           this skull was that it was dated at more than 3 million years
           and yet has the characteristics of homo habilis, the earliest
           species that clearly belongs to the genus homo.  Other specimens
           of habilis date around 2 million years.  Skull 1470 has since
           been redated by other people as being close to 2 million years.
           The stratigraphy of the area is *very* convoluted.  The redating
           was done on the basis of the kinds of pigs and horses found at
           that site in the same stratum.  From more reliably dated sites
           that fixes the stratum as having been laid done not more than
           2 million years ago.

           In general, reason #18 is most bizarre in treating homo erectus
           as a couple of poorly known specimens instead of a couple dozen
           specimens with many more fragments.  The comments about the
           australopithecines are also deliberately deceptive. For reasons
           having do to with a series of specialized adaptations the later
           types (africanus and robustus) are poor candidates for human
           ancestors.  This objection does not apply to "Lucy" in particular
           or afarensis in general.  I am aware of some claims that the
           australopithecines did not walk erect.  These claims seem
           implausible to me since the hip joints are well adapted for walking
           erect.  However, whatever the truth of that the essential point is
           that they show the adaptation that makes it possible for people
           to walk erect.

           For those who are interested in a popular introduction to this
           material, as well as some intriguing anatomical illustrations,
           I urge you to read the book "Human Ancestors" which is an
           anthology of readings from the Sci Am. as well as the book "Lucy".

           One last point, Neanderthal man is now considered to have been
           homo sapiens.  The statement that he was completely human is
           a matter of definition.  He stood erect.  He made complex tools.
           His brain capacity was not less than ours. However, his brain
           structure was different from ours.  His skull showed strong
           residual ridges over the eyes which would make him stand out in
           any modern crowd.  Finally, he was immensely stronger than any of
           us.  In fact, the subspecies seems to have been adapted to hunting
           large animals by holding on to them and bashing them over the head.
           [One of the brain differences is that their motor areas were much
           better developed than modern man's.]  Human?  Well, sort of.  Sounds
           more like a troll than a person.

"Don't argue with a fool.      Ethan Vishniac
 Borrow his money."            {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan
                               Department of Astronomy
                               University of Texas

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (06/03/85)

[]
I have to give up my project of classifying the 116 reasons.  I don't
really have the time and I keep missing some of them.  In addition,
the project has lost all interest for me.  The "authors" are not
responding to comments and the reasons are almost entirely beneath
contempt.  Total nonresponse would be most consistent with my signature
line, but I'll probably be unable to resist the temptation to respond
to some of the astronomical notes.  [If I'm here when they come in].
--

beth@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Beth Christy) (06/07/85)

From: ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac), Message-ID: <183@utastro.UUCP>:
>Total nonresponse would be most consistent with my signature
>line, but I'll probably be unable to resist the temptation to respond
>to some of the astronomical notes.  [If I'm here when they come in].

You'll be here.  This afternoon I attended a presentation by a creationist
(which was totally without meaningful content, so I'm not even gonna post
anything that he presented), and he passed out copies of the paper that
Ron Kukuk is posting a bit at a time (_The_Scientific_Case_For_Creation_,
Walter T. Brown, Jr.).  Item 36 was just posted, and Item 37 begins the
astronomical stuff.  (But don't hold your breath - it doesn't get much
better.)

--

--JB                                          Life is just a bowl.

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (06/08/85)

> From: ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac), Message-ID: <183@utastro.UUCP>:
> >Total nonresponse would be most consistent with my signature
> >line, but I'll probably be unable to resist the temptation to respond
> >to some of the astronomical notes.  [If I'm here when they come in].
>
> You'll be here.  This afternoon I attended a presentation by a creationist
> (which was totally without meaningful content, so I'm not even gonna post
> anything that he presented), and he passed out copies of the paper that
> Ron Kukuk is posting a bit at a time (_The_Scientific_Case_For_Creation_,
> Walter T. Brown, Jr.).  Item 36 was just posted, and Item 37 begins the
> astronomical stuff.  (But don't hold your breath - it doesn't get much
> better.)
>
> --JB                                          Life is just a bowl.

*** REPLACE THIS LINEAGE WITH YOUR MESSIAH ***

Alas, I *won't* be here.  I leave in three days for a trip of about four
weeks, during which time I am unlikely to check up on the net.
Have nice June.  Mail to utastro!ethan and I'll respond when I get home.
Flames to /dev/null since I wouldn't respond in any case.