[net.origins] Article by Brady

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (06/05/85)

[]
	A while back, there was a discussion on this group
about an article by Brady, in _Systematic_Zoology_, that
somebody had cut out of his library's copy because he thought
it would have a subversive effect on students.  I looked the
article up, and here is the full reference, the Abstract, and
some notes on the content.

Brady, R. H.
(Associate Professor of Philosophy, Ramapo College, Mahwah,
New Jersey 07430)
Natural Selection and the Criteria By Which a Theory is
Judged.
Systematic Zoology 28(1979)600-621.

Abstract:
When recent literature on the falsifiablility of natural
selection is examined, critics and defenders seem to
communicate with each other very poorly.  An examination of
the structure of tautology and that of causal explanation
provides criteria by which to examine the claims of both
critics and defenders.  Natural selection is free of tautology
in any formulation that recognizes the causal interaction
between the organism and its environment, but most recent
critics have already understood this and are actually arguing
that the theory is not falsifiable in its operational form.
Under examination, the operational forms of the concepts of
adaptation and fitness turn out to be too indeterminate to be
seriously tested, for they are protected by ad hoc additions
drawn from an indeterminate realm.  Future knowledge may
reduce the organism to a determinate system, but until such
time too little is known to investigate organism-environment
relations.  researchers should consider whether natural
selection is necessary to empiric investigation in their area,
and whether it can serve the purpose for which it is applied.

Here is a redaction of some notes that I took, from reading
the first parts of the paper.

1. Tautology and causal explanation.
   A theory is supposed to be an explanation of some facts.
It must add something to the facts being explained.  A
tautology is a theoretical-seeming statement which fails to do
this.

2. The purpose of the theory [of natural selection]
   The theory is stated in various ways, but they come down to
this: in the population of organisms making up a species, some
are "fitter" than others, and it is these who contribute more
to the future of that species.  The meaning of "fit" in this
context has been debated, and the debate seems to settle on
"differential reproduction" as the criterion of fitness: a
trait is "fit" if it increases the reproductive competence of
organisms having that trait.  Thus "increased reproduction" =>
"increased reproduction."
   The evident circularity of this statement has been remarked
by many.  Some biologists (Waddington, Haldane) have embraced
explicitly tautological formulations of the principle of
natural selection, and argued that it was nevertheless a
worthwhile contribution to biology, because before Darwin
nobody *realized* that it was a tautology.  Brady pours gentle
scorn on this debating tactic.
   Brady's verdict is (I think I am quoting accurately)
"differential reproduction, or even differential mortality
(which is closer to the original idea) has no explanatory
power, but remains a datum to be explained."

3.  The Hand of Nature
   This section is devoted to the extreme difficulty of
unraveling the relations between an organism and its
environment.  As shown in the abstract, Brady seems to despair
of event seriously trying to find anything out.

4. Miscommunications on Testability
   In this section, Brady samples and comments on the ongoing
debate.  He quotes an essay by Stephen Gould: fitter traits
can be recognized by criteria of "good design."  Gould's
statement is flawed by a sentence in which he seems to use the
theory as a basis from which to deduce factual support for the
theory.
   Gould was replying to an essay by Tom Bethell that appeared
in Harper's, February 1976.  This covers much the same ground
as Brady's article, and is easier reading.  He predicts that
biologists will quietly relinquish the theory of natural
selection.  In 1985, having read Mayr's _The_Growth_of_
Biological_Thought_, I don't see it happening.
   Brady points out that defenders and attackers of the theory
of natural selection do not argue about the same issues.
Defenders attempt to prove that the theory is not
tautological.  Attackers attempt to prove that it is not
testable.
   Brady considers Maynard Smith's defense of the concept of
fitness as being falsifiable.  Smith offers an example of a
trait which, if it were ever observed, would clearly not be
conducive to the fitness of the organism.  He suggests a deep
sea fish with luminous dots on its skin;  if the number was
varying, but always prime, or if their distribution always
matched a constellation, this would not be explicable by
natural selection.  Brady complains that the example is
absurd; it goes against anything we know about fishes.

___________________________

   I am disappointed in Brady's article.  Much of his
criticism of natural selection is really a criticism of
biology, on these grounds:
	it is different from philosophy;
	it is difficult and complicated;
	you have to go out there in the (gasp) real
		world, and collect data.
The alleged tautology of the theory of natural selection is an
artifact of examining it outside of its context.  Philosophers
have made this mistake before.  Ernst Mach, thinking about
Newton's equation "F = ma", decided it was a tautology too:
just a definition of F.  This leaves unexplained how the
"second law" can cooperate with other laws to achieve
brilliant results.
   Similarly, I think the law of natural selection has to
be considered in its context in a theory of how evolution
happens.  There, it is seen as allowing a small change in the
genetic makeup of a population with each generation;  Darwin's
good idea was that this change, sufficiently prolonged, may be
enough to account for big variations, even the origin of
species.
   Brady never talks about speciation.  Nor does Bethell, nor
the others whom Brady cites.  (In the cited passages, that
is!)  So he misses the interesting point.  His statement that
differential reproduction has no explanatory power is
perverse:  he ignores what the evolutionists are trying to
explain.

Regards,
Chris

--
Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich
UUCP:       ..!(cornell | ariel | ukc | houxz)!vax135!petsd!cjh

In article <533@petsd.UUCP> cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) writes:
>  I looked the
>article up, and here is the full reference, the Abstract, and
>some notes on the content.
>
>Brady, R. H.
>(Associate Professor of Philosophy, Ramapo College, Mahwah,
>New Jersey 07430)
>Natural Selection and the Criteria By Which a Theory is
>Judged.
>Systematic Zoology 28(1979)600-621.
>
>Abstract:
>	.
>	.
>	.
>that the theory is not falsifiable in its operational form.
>Under examination, the operational forms of the concepts of
>adaptation and fitness turn out to be too indeterminate to be
>seriously tested, for they are protected by ad hoc additions
>drawn from an indeterminate realm.
End of Abstract

>Here is a redaction of some notes that I took, from reading
>the first parts of the paper.
>
>1. Tautology and causal explanation.
>   A theory is supposed to be an explanation of some facts.
>It must add something to the facts being explained.  A
>tautology is a theoretical-seeming statement which fails to do
>this.
>
>2. The purpose of the theory [of natural selection]
	.
	.
	.
>   Brady's verdict is (I think I am quoting accurately)
>"differential reproduction, or even differential mortality
>(which is closer to the original idea) has no explanatory
>power, but remains a datum to be explained."
>
>___________________________
>
>   I am disappointed in Brady's article.  Much of his
>criticism of natural selection is really a criticism of
>biology, on these grounds:
>	it is different from philosophy;
>	it is difficult and complicated;
>	you have to go out there in the (gasp) real
>		world, and collect data.
>The alleged tautology of the theory of natural selection is an
>artifact of examining it outside of its context.
>   Brady never talks about speciation.  Nor does Bethell, nor
>the others whom Brady cites.  (In the cited passages, that
>is!)  So he misses the interesting point.  His statement that
>differential reproduction has no explanatory power is
>perverse:  he ignores what the evolutionists are trying to
>explain.

	Actually, I suspect there is another weakness in his paper
on the basis of the abstract and summary(and the source of the
article). I suspect that Brady is a member of the cladistic school
of taxonomy, or something thereto. The emphasis on "operational"
definitions is an indicator of an "ultra-reductionist" approach
to biology, which tries to reduce *all* biological definitions to
*directly* measurable variables. While this is entirely in physics,
where the concept is most widely applied, many doubt its
appropriateness in the field of biology.  His treatment of "tautology"
is also characteristic of this approach. Thus one of his basic
premises is an approach to biology which is questionable, and his
arguments, to the extent they depend on these definitions, are invalid
if you reject the "operationalist" biology he espouses.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen