[net.origins] The Scientific Case For Creationism

rafferty@cmu-cs-edu1.ARPA (Colin Rafferty) (05/01/85)

I want to hear, from *anybody*, *any* kind of evidence for Creationism.  In
fact, I would be happy just to hear *why* somebody believes in it.

The lines are open and operators are standing by right now.

----
            Colin Rafferty { Math Department, Carnegie-Mellon University }

"According to convention there is a sweet and a bitter, a hot and a cold,
and according to convention, there is an order.  In truth, there are atoms
and a void."
                -Democritus(400 B.C.)

dan@scgvaxd.UUCP (Dan Boskovich) (05/04/85)

In article <253@cmu-cs-edu1.ARPA> rafferty@cmu-cs-edu1.ARPA (Colin Rafferty) writes:

>I want to hear, from *anybody*, *any* kind of evidence for Creationism.  In
>fact, I would be happy just to hear *why* somebody believes in it.
>
>The lines are open and operators are standing by right now.
>
>----
>            Colin Rafferty { Math Department, Carnegie-Mellon University }

  Apparently, you didn't see this posting!

>To follow this up, let me issue this challenge to all of you creationists
>out there:  Give me some POSITIVE evidence of creationism that is not
>out of the Bible.  All that I've seen so far has been negative evidence
>in an effort to debunk evolution, while the evolutionists have been
>supplying positive evidence.  Please, give me some facts supporting
>creationism, or move this discussion to another net( net.religion
>sounds appropriate to me)
>Thanks in advance
>Dave Fritzinger
>Public Health Research Institute(phri)

 "Design" is evidence of a "Designer"!

 Before you say there is no evidence of design, first read what
 Darwin himself had to say concerning the "eye"!

 Biological clocks, electro-dynamic fields, DNA (bulding blocks),
 all are evidence of "design".

 Anyone with open eyes will see design when he looks at the world.
 It would a waste of time and space to give the numerous examples
 of design in our world.

 More positive evidence for creation is in the Second Law! The universe
 is running down. It can't be running down forever. Somewhere it must
 have been wound up; a starting point.
 Evolutionists say the Second Law does not apply to the earth because
 it is an open system. However the universe is a closed system. Given
 this, how could it have started in the first place. Before Evolution
 could have started on earth, it first had to produce earth, in a closed
 system; The Universe!
 Big Bang - No, Explosions cause disorder not order.
 Steady State - No, its running down!! Its not steady!!
 Creation - Definite beginning, design, order, running down, hmmm, seems
 to fit my origins theory!

 Darwinism is on its way out! If you don't think so, you are not up
 on current Evolution theory. Punctuationism is whats happening and this
 is just as much magic as you say Creation is. What is the difference
 between God creating Adam, and a reptile giving birth to a bird?

 Please, some evidence for P.E. if you will!

						Dan

"Darwinism is dead"

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (05/06/85)

>   Apparently, you didn't see this posting!
>

>  "Design" is evidence of a "Designer"!

You can post garbage a thousand times, but it remains garbage,
not evidence.  "Design is evidence of a designer" is not evidence,
it is a philosophical presumption.  If you could prove that presumption
(a truly remarkable feat that would be....nobody has been able
to do it yet), then you might have something going.

As of now, there has been no evidence for creation posted to
this discussion group.

[............]

> "Design" is evidence of a "Designer"!

Geez, to bad he wasn't all that good at it!  Whale and anteater embryos
develop teeth that are absorbed before birth.  Woops!  Maybe the
embryos development traces the steps God went through while developing
the animal (ontogeny recapitulates creation! :-)  Uh-oh, dodo and
penguin wings don't work, darn, and the mole and cave salamander's eyes
don't see.  Oh, and let's give some humans resistance to malaria,
woops, at the cost of sickle-cell-anemia.  BOY, he sure likes beetles,
musta spent a WHOLE day on beetles (250,000 known species).  And WOW
90% of the species he created is now extinct!

> Biological clocks, electro-dynamic fields, DNA (bulding blocks),
> all are evidence of "design".

Sez you!

> Anyone with open eyes will see design when he looks at the world.
> It would a waste of time and space to give the numerous examples
> of design in our world.

It would (be) a waste of time and space to give the numerous examples
of BAD design in our world.

> More positive evidence for creation is in the Second Law! The universe
> is running down. It can't be running down forever. Somewhere it must
> have been wound up; a starting point.

An assumption.  Anyway, so?, so this has nothing to do with evolution.

> Evolutionists say the Second Law does not apply to the earth because
> it is an open system. However the universe is a closed system. Given
> this, how could it have started in the first place. Before Evolution
> could have started on earth, it first had to produce earth, in a closed
> system; The Universe!
> Big Bang - No, Explosions cause disorder not order.
> Steady State - No, its running down!! Its not steady!!
> Creation - Definite beginning, design, order, running down, hmmm, seems
> to fit my origins theory!

Well, I don't know offhand how it started.  But, I can see the facts,
and the facts say: Evolution!

> Darwinism is on its way out! If you don't think so, you are not up
> on current Evolution theory. Punctuationism is whats happening and this
> is just as much magic as you say Creation is. What is the difference
> between God creating Adam, and a reptile giving birth to a bird?

Come on!  No punctuated equilibriumist will tell you that a reptile ever
gave birth to a bird!  Quit misrepresenting things which you obviously
know little about!

> Please, some evidence for P.E. if you will!

P.E. is a theory, not a fact like evolution.  It is a theory that attempts
to explain some aspects of evolution that some scientists feel are not
adequately explained by natural selection.  Disproving P.E. does not affect
the fact of evolution.  The idea is, I think, not so much if there is evidence
for P.E., but if it explains the facts involved better than other theories
of natural selection etc.  If it does, then perhaps experiments can be
designed to test the theory, (which will have the effect of generating
'evidence' either for or against).  I don't know offhand, where P.E. stands
at the moment as far as all this is concerned.  It still has nothing to do
with the fact of evolution, just some of the methods.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd

rafferty@cmu-cs-edu1.ARPA (Colin Rafferty) (06/08/85)

>       36.  Detailed studies of various animals have revealed  certain
>            physical   equipment   and  capabilities  that  cannot  be
>            duplicated by the world's best designers  using  the  most
>            sophisticated technologies. For example...

Well, now we know that Man did not create the Universe.  That sure as heck
proves God did. (note intense sarcasm)

----