[net.origins] Brawk! Polly want a cracker!

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (06/04/85)

> I have to give up my project of classifying the 116 reasons.  I don't
> really have the time and I keep missing some of them.  In addition,
> the project has lost all interest for me.  The "authors" are not
> responding to comments and the reasons are almost entirely beneath
> contempt.  Total nonresponse would be most consistent with my signature
> line, but I'll probably be unable to resist the temptation to respond
> to some of the astronomical notes.  [If I'm here when they come in].

Since the "authors" of the 116 reasons are just parroting the contents
of a pamphlet, without, apparently, enough understanding of what they
are copying to defend it against legitimate criticism, and since most of
their arguments have already been thoroughly discussed (and refuted!)
in net.origins, I for one am going to exercise the "n" key when further
examples are posted.  I urge others to do the same.

--
"Men never do evil so cheerfully and so completely as when they do so from
	religious conviction."  -- Blaise Pascal

	Bill Jefferys  8-%
	Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712   (USnail)
	{allegra,ihnp4}!{ut-sally,noao}!utastro!bill	(uucp)
	bill%utastro.UTEXAS@ut-sally.ARPA		(ARPANET)

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (06/05/85)

>> [Ethan Vishniac]
>> I have to give up my project of classifying the 116 reasons.  I don't
>> really have the time and I keep missing some of them.  In addition,
>> the project has lost all interest for me.  The "authors" are not
>> responding to comments and the reasons are almost entirely beneath
>> contempt.  Total nonresponse would be most consistent with my signature
>> line, but I'll probably be unable to resist the temptation to respond
>> to some of the astronomical notes.  [If I'm here when they come in].
>
> [Bill Jefferys]
> Since the "authors" of the 116 reasons are just parroting the contents
> of a pamphlet, without, apparently, enough understanding of what they
> are copying to defend it against legitimate criticism, and since most of
> their arguments have already been thoroughly discussed (and refuted!)
> in net.origins, I for one am going to exercise the "n" key when further
> examples are posted.  I urge others to do the same.

(i) The authors are indeed the contents of the pamphlet, but one of the
authors (Walter Brown) wrote it originally.  This may not exactly be
parroting.  If it is, then every one of us is doing just that.

(ii) The postings have generated a substantial amount of discussion and
I personally feel that a certain amount of it has been worthwhile.  I
am quite interested in the evolutionary response.  Therefore I am
hopeful that the "n" key will not be used.  I am guessing, but I think
Dr. Brown may view the net as a useful tool for getting feedback from
evolutionists.

--

Paul DuBois     {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois        --+--

padraig@utastro.UUCP (Padraig Houlahan) (06/06/85)

Regarding  the 116 "proofs" for creationism, Paul DuBois writes:

> (ii) The postings have generated a substantial amount of discussion and
> I personally feel that a certain amount of it has been worthwhile.  I
> am quite interested in the evolutionary response.  Therefore I am
> hopeful that the "n" key will not be used.  I am guessing, but I think
> Dr. Brown may view the net as a useful tool for getting feedback from
> evolutionists.
>
> --
> Paul DuBois     {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois        --+--

Perhaps you could elaborate on which parts have been worthwhile? How
about the criticism that you cannot prove creationism by disproving
evolution? Where's the discussion? There has been no defense of their
postings in the light of the responses they generated.

Padraig Houlahan.

sidney@linus.UUCP (Sidney Markowitz) (06/06/85)

In article <1188@uwmacc.UUCP> dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) writes:

>(i) The authors are indeed the contents of the pamphlet, but one of the
>authors (Walter Brown) wrote it originally.  This may not exactly be
>parroting.  If it is, then every one of us is doing just that.
> [ . . . ]  I am guessing, but I think
>Dr. Brown may view the net as a useful tool for getting feedback from
>evolutionists.

Is there any evidence that Walter Brown has anything to do with the
postings? I'm under the impression that Kukuk is just getting typing
practice, is honest enough to give credit to the pamphlet's author, but not
honest enough to have stated in the first place what he was doing.

Please, Mr. Kukuk, if you are able to read and understand this, please spare
us more of this slow torture and simply send the rest of the pamphlet in one
long spasm of a posting. Please?

--
					Sidney Markowitz

ARPA:	sidney@mitre-bedford
UUCP:	...{allegra,decvax,genrad,ihnp4,philabs,security,utzoo}!linus!sidney

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (06/07/85)

[]
	I agree with Bill Jefferys that the "116 reasons" can
be ignored henceforth.  I think we've seen the best of them
already, as their quality, never good, has been getting worse.
(Or am I getting educated?)
	This recommendation has a paradoxical consequence: if
you have something really interesting to say about one of
Kukuk's postings, it may be better to quote it in full,
because people may have ignored it the first time around.
	By the way, the title of Jefferys's article suggests a
parrot.  Actually, "Kuckuck" is German for cuckoo.

Regards,
Chris

--
Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich
UUCP:       ..!(cornell | ariel | ukc | houxz)!vax135!petsd!cjh

beth@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (06/10/85)

From: dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois), Message-ID: <1188@uwmacc.UUCP>:
>I am guessing, but I think
>Dr. Brown may view the net as a useful tool for getting feedback from
>evolutionists.
>
>Paul DuBois     {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois        --+--

As I mentioned in a previous posting, the paper that Ron Kukuk is
typing in was passed out a "lecture" I attended recently.  Walter
Brown is listed as the author of the paper, but his address is given
as Naperville, Illinois.  Since Ron is posting from New Jersey, I
have my doubts that Mr. Brown is even aware that it's being posted.
My guess is Ron is just typing in Mr. Brown's paper (apparently for
typing practice, since he doesn't seem to be interested in the
It'd be nice to see *some* response from him.

If anyone is interested, Mr. Brown's address is listed as

   Walter T. Brown, Jr.
   1319 Brush Hill Circle
   Naperville, IL   60540
   (312) 369-8085

--

--JB                                          Life is just a bowl.