[net.origins] The Scientific Case For Posting Followups:

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (07/22/85)

	Jesus H.F.C., when are you people going to learn that you don't
have to quote an *entire* article to respond to it!  The article I am
following up to, <391@kontron.UUCP> consisted of the entire text of
another article, <404@iham1.UUCP> (all 118 lines of it) followed by 9
lines of commentary.  You know something?  By the time I got to the new
stuff, I was so PO'd that I didn't even read it.

	Just because postnews (or whatever) starts you off with the
whole text of the original article, doesn't mean you have to keep it.
Hack away at it with an editor until you get down to just what it is you
want to talk about.  Usually this is just one or two lines, maybe a
whole paragraph, but not the whole friggin article!.  If I really want
to see more, I can go look up the original article (what do you think
the References: line is for?)
--
allegra!phri!roy (Roy Smith)

tynor@gitpyr.UUCP (Steve Tynor) (07/31/85)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ditto!  I've been ignoring the followups to the 'scientific' case series for
this reason exactly!  It's not that i'm not interested, it's simply that i
often have to wade through 3 or 4 pages of quoted material.

Let's show some restraint.  It doesn't require 2 pages (or even 2
paragraphs) of quoted material to demonstrate the gist of what someone
posted. the original article is always available for reference if needed.

It seems that net.origins postings are subject to this phenomenon more than
other groups... any ideas why?

Eschew Obfuscation.

    Steve Tynor
    Georgia Instutute of Technology

 ...{akgua, allegra, amd, harpo, hplabs,
     ihnp4, masscomp, ut-ngp, rlgvax, sb1,
     uf-cgrl, unmvax, ut-sally}  !gatech!gitpyr!tynor

--
Steve Tynor
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!tynor

In article <616@gitpyr.UUCP> tynor@gitpyr.UUCP (Steve Tynor) writes:

>Let's show some restraint.  It doesn't require 2 pages (or even 2
>paragraphs) of quoted material to demonstrate the gist of what someone
>posted. the original article is always available for reference if needed.

	Wrong! We expire all news groups after two weeks here, and
non-technical groups(like net.origins) after only one. Since it often
takes over two weeks for me to see a response, I actually *rarely*
have the original article for reference!

	I *do* try to cut out as much material as I can from
inclusions though.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen