[net.origins] the mammalian brain a kludge

ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) (08/02/85)

This one seems to have drawn a lot of interest.  One point many seem
to have overlooked is that perfection is not necessary in order to
percieve craftsmanship.  Even English motorcycles, basically just two-
wheeled vibratory highway-oiling devices, show craftsmanship;  they obviously
did not simply evolve from simple iron ores in the ground.  While I will
admit to the possability of the the human brain being a product of evolution, I think it highly unlikely.  It seems more likely to be the handiwork of a
being or beings of whom the least we could say is that he or they were way
the hell ahead of US in building things.  Not perfect maybe, but still ahead
of us.

long@oliveb.UUCP (Dave Long) (08/05/85)

In article <363@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:
|                                                             While I will
| admit to the possability of the the human brain being a product of evolution, I think it highly unlikely.  It seems more likely to be the handiwork of a
| being or beings of whom the least we could say is that he or they were way
| the hell ahead of US in building things.  Not perfect maybe, but still ahead
| of us.

[Argument by Hypothesis Contrary to Theory]
    You have just mentioned *building* things, not designing them.  However
advanced anybody may have been to build a human brain, they should still be
shot for not having designed it well.  After all, I have to live in mine, and
there is *very* little chance that I will get a new version.
[TCHA]
						Dave Long
--
{hplabs,fortune,idi,ihnp4,tolerant,allegra,tymix}!oliveb!long

god@callan.UUCP (Customer Support, Earth Division) (08/07/85)

>     You have just mentioned *building* things, not designing them.  However
> advanced anybody may have been to build a human brain, they should still be
> shot for not having designed it well.  After all, I have to live in mine, and
> there is *very* little chance that I will get a new version.
> [TCHA]
> 						Dave Long

We are sorry that some customers have experienced a delay in receiving
Version 2.2a of the Human Brain.  However, these problems have been resolved,
and shipments begin today.

However, we can not find your registration card, Mr. Long.  Customer Support
would like to remind all owners of a Human Brain that you will receive no
updates or technical support unless you fill out and return your registration
card.

---
			God, Customer Service Agent, Earth Division
			Interuniverse Brain Machines, Inc.
			ihnp4!mcvax!vatican!hyper-relay%god@heaven.HOLY