[net.origins] catastrophic evolution - reply to Bill Jefferys

ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) (08/06/85)

     I  don't  normally  reply  to  responses  to my own
articles on the net; they are too many and varied  and I
don't have  the time.   In this  case it seems necessary
because someone who didn't know any better could get the
impression that  the article  had been  refuted point by
point.  Let's  examine some  of  the  highlights  of Mr.
Jefferys article.

>These    days,   debates   between   Creationists   and
>Evolutionists are regularly won by evolutionists.

     Where?  When?  I mean in a reasonably well attended
     setting ,  not  Rhetoric 101  at UT.  Like I say, I
     haven't heard about it.  My  own  training  was  in
     science (math) and  not  religion.  I wouldn't feel
     good about publishing in  a  journal "refereed"  by
     "scientists" in the  case of the creation-evolution
     debate.  I would  prefer well attended debates with
     members of the press  present  as  was  the case in
     Roanoke. I know "scientists" a little bit too well.

>    The probability  that  any  of  Ron's  arguments is
>valid is precisely 0.  In science, it is not the number
>of arguments but their correctness that counts.

     This one speaks for itself.  It obviously tells an
     impartial   observer  more about  the author  than
     about the subject matter.

>Groups of humans with six fingers are known.  The trait
>breeds true.   There is  one such  group in (I believe)
>Appalachia.

     Like I  said,  these  people  are  fortunate  to be
     living in  the 20'th  century.  Being burned at the
     stake was never much fun.  But  six-fingered humans
     seems  to  have  been  the  wrong  example  to use.
     Mr. Jefferys seems to have missed the logical point
     because the  example.  Six and five-fingered humans
     could interbreed.  A  change  from  one  species to
     another with  no possability of interbreeding could
     only happen if more than  one  of  the  new species
     appeared   at   one  time  i.e. under  catastrophic
     circumstances as I described.

>Finally,  mutation   is   probably   a   minor  (though
>important)  mechanism  in  evolution.   Duplication and
>rearrangement of genetic  material  are  thought  to be
>much more  important, and  they are experimentally well
>documented.

     Duplication  and  rearrangement  by   who  or  what
     agency?   Dr. Frankenstein?   My  understanding  is
     that when this occurs naturally, the  clinical term
     is "cancer".

>It  is  well  established  that the first people in the
>Western hemisphere were responsible  for the extinction
>of  most  of  the  large  mammals  in  North  and South
>America.  They had nothing but stone weapons, but their
>methods were extremely effective.

     I love this one!  The creatures Mr. Jefferys has in
     mind include several which I wouldn't  want to face
     with anything  less than  a 50 caliber machine gun.
     My favorite ancient animal  is  the  pteratorn, not
     really a  mammal, but  why be strict?  Mr. Jefferys
     will  sooner  or  later  have  to  account  for the
     pteratorn's extinction  as well.  The pteratorn was
     a 200 lb. golden eagle with a 30 foot wingspan.  An
     eagle's ability  to kill  things is  grossly out of
     proportion to its size.  20 Pound  Berkut eagles on
     the USSR  kill foxes  and wolves  by crushing their
     skulls  in  their  11  inch  talons  and  deers  by
     DRIVING THEIR TALONS IN AROUND THE DEER'S SPINE AND
     SNAPPING IT.  In a way, it's a shame pteratorns are
     extinct.   I   really  feel  the  guys  at  the  UT
     astronomy department deserve a  shot  at  trying to
     kill one  with their  spears.  I am morally certain
     that the pteratorn would enjoy the meal as  much as
     I would  enjoy the  (brief) spectacle.  It wouldn't
     be quite fair to  say that  the guys  from UT would
     fare  as  badly  or  worse than the Neanderthals of
     10,000 years  ago;    the  Neanderthals  would know
     better than to try it.  Since  the only  danger  to
     the pteratorn would be indigestion, the SPCA  would
     probably not object to the event being staged.

>Really?  And  what mechanism  do you  propose to change
>the force of gravity on the earth?

     I can forgive Mr. Jefferys for this  one.  This one
     involves   a   radical   departure   from   present
     thinking.  Immanuel Velikovsky  was  aware  of this
     but  refrained  from  including  it  in  "Worlds in
     Collision, Vol  I"  specifically  because  it would
     seem  too  weird  to  most  people.   Every book on
     dinosaurs  I  have  read  mentions  the  problem of
     weight   for   these   animals;   most  state  that
     brontosaurs lived in water even though their bodies
     show  no  adaptation  for  an  aquatic life, simply
     because rudimentary calculations showed  that their
     legs would  not support  them on land.  The problem
     for large birds is more appalling.  I have actually
     seen   books   which   state  that  pterosaurs  and
     pteratorns climbed  up  mountains  and  then glided
     down again,  a hell of a hard way to have to make a
     living.  The authors  were  admitting  that  200 lb
     birds can't  fly in  our world.   The evidence from
     ancient life forms is that the force of  gravity on
     earth changed  somewhere along  the line.  I posted
     an  article  on  this  about  a  month  ago     and
     Mr. Jefferys apparently missed it.  For his sake, I
     will repeat  some of  the arguments  involved.  The
     best recommendation I can make to someone who wants
     to understand  this  phenomenon  is  to read  David
     Talbott's "The Saturn Myth",  still  available from
     Doubleday.  The following brief  description of the
     archaic world will sound  strange;  remember, there
     was a time when cars and trains seemed strange, and
     a time when forks  seemed  strange  to the  English
     nobility.

     Velikovsky's long  promised  "Worlds  in Collision,
Chapter II",  dealing with the nature of the world prior
to the flood, was essentially published  in 1980  in the
form of  "The Saturn  Myth" by  David Talbott, available
from DoubleDay.  Articles on the same and similar topics
appear  regularly  in  the Kronos Journal, subscriptions
($15/year) from:

               Kronos
               P.O. Box 343
               Wynnewood, PA 19096

     The ancients believed that  Jupiter and  Saturn had
been live  stars within  the memory  of man.  Greeks and
Romans described the planetary  systems  of  Jupiter and
Saturn  as  the  dual  systems of dieties, Olympian gods
under Zeus (Jupiter), and Titans under  Kronos (Saturn).
Egyptians described the same thing as a "double Ennead",
the systems of Set and Horus.   They believed  there had
been an  ORBITING mantel of water, not clouds, high over
the world; that one hadn't needed  be but  so much  of a
prophet to know it was going to fall some day.

     They  described  the  sky  as  the  primeval watery
abyss.  The first paragraph of Genesis refers to the sky
as a  firmamemt built  to seperate the waters above from
the waters below.  The  great  hymns  to  Osiris  in the
Egyptian  Book  of  the  Dead  refer to Osiris as having
fashioned man and the primeval watery abyss of  the sky.
Nearly  identical  language  concerning  the  sky can be
found in Snorri Sturleson's  Prose Edda,  not because of
any  early  contacts  between Skandanavia and Egypt, but
because these peoples obviously saw the  same sky. These
stories are  fragments of racial memory, bits and pieces
of a picture which  can  be  put  together  with  just a
little bit of effort.

     Prior to  the flood,  we were  a planet of Saturns.
This sounds crazy at first, but the pictures  inside the
pyramids  depict  this  repeatedly.  The idea definitely
didn't sound  crazy to  Akhnaten.  The  North pole faced
Saturn  directly,  and  we  hung perilously close to the
small star.   The gravitational  interaction between the
star and  planet was intense;  particals and debris were
trapped in between permanently and picked up the glow of
the  star,  resembling  a great mountain rising straight
from the North Pole to the star, the myth of  the god on
the  mountain,  Zeus  on  Olympus,  Jahveh  on Zion etc.
Creatures living in the  gravitational tug  of war which <------
existed then got big, 200 pound birds which couldn't fly
today, Brontosaurs and  Ultrasaurs  which  couldn't even
walk today,  even in  water since  their feet, having no
adaptation for water, would sink hopelessly into the mud
on river bottoms.   You haven't heard of the  ultrasaur,
you say?   The  people  at  Penn  State  apparently have
acquired  him  rather  recently.   He  could  swallow  a
brontosaur.  The brontosaur's problem  with weight would
have seemed minor compared to his.

     Why couldn't  a 200 lb. bird fly?  When animals get
bigger, their weight goes up in proportion to  volumn, a
cubed figure.   Strength only  goes up  in proportion to
cross sections of bones  and muscles,  a squared figure;
that is  why you  never see 200 lb. gymnists even though
you do see splendid athletes over  200 lbs,  they simply
don't  have  the  power-to-weight  ratio.   Every  other
measure of the bodies  efficiency goes  up in proportion
to other  squared figures:  your ability to breathe goes
up in proportion  to  surface  area  of  lungs,  to cool
yourself in  portion to total body surface area, and, of
course, surface area of  wings is  vital to  birds.  The
largest birds  which fly  in OUR world hang in around 12
to  25  pounds  and  all  have  major  difficulties with
takeoffs and  landings, the worst case being albatrosses
which sailors call goonie-birds for that reason.

     The heiroglyphs for Ra, Atum, Osiris etc., names at
various  time  periods  for  the elder god of Egypt, are
basically  just  pictures  of  a  star  inside  a  ring,
pictures  of  Saturn.   Usually  the ringed star sits on
either a pyramid shaped mound or, as in the case  of the
loop at  the top  of the  ankh symbol, atop the Egyptian
symbol  for  a  pillar   or   structural   support.   In
E. A. Wallis Budge's  The Book of the Dead (1895), Dover
paperback version available  cheaply,  several different
versions of  these pictures  can be seen.  One symbol is
nearly exactly what I have  described,  a  dot  inside a
circle supported by three lightning forks in the form of
a  triangle  which  appears  in  any  word  meaning  "to
brighten" or "illuminate".

     The glyph  for Ra takes the form of a humanized god
sitting on his haunches and either a dot inside a circle
or a  hoop snake  with a  dot inside the coil.  The word
Khut (mound of glory) is a circle atop a mound.   A five
point star  inside a circle appears on page 10, the word
tuat.  Often these pictures  take  the  form  of  a star
inside a  half-circle or  crescent, all  atop a pyramid,
indicating that Saturn's ring  showed phases,  since the
crescent is variously to one or the other side, or above
or below the star.  The term "paut neteru" (substance of
the gods)  recurs in the book;  it is pictured as a ring
with one side widened,  the  other  side  narrowed  to a
point.  The Moslem symbol of a star inside a crescent is
basically this picture, not a picture of the  sun inside
a crescent moon (which no one has ever seen).

     Hesiod,  in  "Works  and  Days"  and  Ovid, in "The
Metamorphoses" use identical  language  in  describing a
"Golden  Age  of  Man"  when Kronos (Saturn) was king of
heaven (the sun).  The ancient world was of  one mind in
believing that  age to  have been  a far better one than
theirs.  However, that age  came  crashing  down  with a
stellar blowout  INSIDE our solar system followed, seven
days later, by the Noachian deluge.

     Twice in Genesis in the story of Noah  (Genesis 7-4
and  7-10)  the  seven  days  prior  to  the  flood  are
mentioned.  The  only other  reference to  these days in
the old  testament occurs  in Isiah  30:26 "Moreover the
light of the moon shall be as the light of  the sun, and
the light of the sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of
the seven days...".  This  was the  basis for  the seven
day light  festivals of the ancient world, Hannukah, the
Roman Saturnalia etc.

The solar system  was  a  long  time  settling  into its
present  state  after  the  flood.  Part of the story of
these times is told in Velikovsky's  major book, "Worlds
in Collision"  which is worth reading.  Saturn was still
visible for a long time afterwards and was worshipped as
Osiris,  god   of  the   dead,  by  the  Egyptians,  the
prototypical ressurection  story.  Lest  anyone have any
doubts  that  these  Egyptians  saw a different sky than
ours, the following are  direct quotes  from the various
hymns  to  Osiris  in  the  Dover  paperback  version of
Budge's "Egyptian Book of the Dead":

page 250  "..thou risest, coming forth from the  god Nu.
          Thou  hast  come  with  thy splendors and thou
          hast made heaven  and  earth  bright  with thy
          rays of PURE EMERALD LIGHT"

page 251  "...thou dost  arise in  the horizen of heaven
          and  shed  upon  the  world  beams  of emerald
          light;..."

page 254  "..Through thee  the world waxeth green before
          the might of Neb-er  tcher.... Thy body  is of
          gold,  thy  head  of  azure, and emerald light
          encircleth thee.."

     The pictures of Osiris in human form on the pyramid
walls were, of course, green.

peter@kitty.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) (08/07/85)

>      proportion to its size.  20 Pound  Berkut eagles on
>      the USSR  kill foxes  and wolves  by crushing their
>      skulls  in  their  11  inch  talons  and  deers  by

11 inch talons? Have you ever seen an eagle? Have you any idea how
ludicrous this is?

heller@shell.UUCP (Don Heller) (08/07/85)

> >It  is  well  established  that the first people in the
> >Western hemisphere were responsible  for the extinction
> >of  most  of  the  large  mammals  in  North  and South
> >America.  They had nothing but stone weapons, but their
> >methods were extremely effective.
>
>      I love this one!  The creatures Mr. Jefferys has in
>      mind include several which I wouldn't  want to face
>      with anything  less than  a 50 caliber machine gun.

Killing a mastodon is actually pretty easy.  Get about 20 people and
throw rocks at it.  Eventually you can force it over the edge of a cliff.

Now if this could only work on <fill in the blank yourself>, we'd all
be a lot better off.

--
Don Heller
Computer Science Dept.

713-663-2341
{ihnp4, pur-ee, ut-sally}!shell!heller

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (08/07/85)

I realize that Ted Holden is merely as facet of my own subconscious,
created only for my amusement, by I am forced to respond anyway.

In article <365@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:
>     I  don't  normally  reply  to  responses  to my own
>articles on the net;

That is because you do not really exist, by that's okay!

>>These    days,   debates   between   Creationists   and
>>Evolutionists are regularly won by evolutionists.
>     Where?  When?

I read one is Scientific American magazine about four years ago. The
creationist really got smashed. Honest.

>     I wouldn't feel
>     good about publishing in  a  journal "refereed"  by
>     "scientists" in the  case of the creation-evolution
>     debate.

Yeah, you might be subjected to FAIRNESS!

>     I would  prefer well attended debates with
>     members of the press  present  as  was  the case in
>     Roanoke.

The press has never been known for its scientific accuracy in anything.

>>Groups of humans with six fingers are known.  The trait
>>breeds true.   There is  one such  group in (I believe)
>>Appalachia.
>
>     Like I  said,  these  people  are  fortunate  to be
>     living in  the 20'th  century.  Being burned at the
>     stake was never much fun.

Actually, the tribe mentioned is in the Himalayas where they have never
burned anybody at the stake for witchcraft. Not everybody grew up with
the same pea-brained western culture you did.

>     Mr. Jefferys
>     will  sooner  or  later  have  to  account  for the
>     pteratorn's extinction  as well.  The pteratorn was
>     a 200 lb. golden eagle with a 30 foot wingspan.

Hmmmmm. I think it might have trouble finding something to eat.

>>Really?  And  what mechanism  do you  propose to change
>>the force of gravity on the earth?
>
>     I can forgive Mr. Jefferys for this  one.  This one
>     involves   a   radical   departure   from   present
>     thinking.

And present fact as well! Very amusing! Well done!

>     I have actually
>     seen   books   which   state  that  pterosaurs  and
>     pteratorns climbed  up  mountains  and  then glided
>     down again,  a hell of a hard way to have to make a
>     living.

That might explain why they died.

>     archaic world will sound  strange;  remember, there
>     was a time when cars and trains seemed strange, and
>     a time when forks  seemed  strange  to the  English
>     nobility.

And now science seems strange to educated people. How odd.

>     They  described  the  sky  as  the  primeval watery
>abyss.  The first paragraph of Genesis refers to the sky
>as a  firmamemt built  to separate the waters above from
>the waters below.  The  great  hymns  to  Osiris  in the
>Egyptian  Book  of  the  Dead  refer to Osiris as having
>fashioned man and the primeval watery abyss of  the sky.
>Nearly  identical  language  concerning  the  sky can be
>found in Snorri Sturleson's  Prose Edda,  not because of
>any  early  contacts  between Skandanavia and Egypt, but
>because these peoples obviously saw the  same sky. These
>stories are  fragments of racial memory, bits and pieces
>of a picture which  can  be  put  together  with  just a
>little bit of effort.

The Book of the Subgenius describes shopping malls as an attempt to
subvert a super-race of beings that will come to life in 1998. I find
that a little easier to swallow.

>     Prior to  the flood,  we were  a planet of Saturns.
>This sounds crazy at first,

I've read it twice and it still sounds crazy.

>Saturn  directly,  and  we  hung perilously close to the
>small star.

Saturn's a planet.

>You haven't heard of the  ultrasaur,
>you say?   The  people  at  Penn  State  apparently have
>acquired  him  rather  recently.

No, the CREATIONISTS at Penn State acquired him. Of course, they will
immediately send it up to their doubting colleagues at Harvard and it
will be lost in the mail.

>     Why couldn't  a 200 lb. bird fly?

I suppose for the same reason a ten ton jet can't fly.

>     The heiroglyphs for Ra, Atum, Osiris etc., names at
>various  time  periods  for  the elder god of Egypt, are
>basically  just  pictures  of  a  star  inside  a  ring,
>pictures  of  Saturn.

Wrongo. The dot inside the ring represented the Sun, specifically. A
ring without a dot was the moon. Any self-respecting symbol dictionary
will tell you that. The symbol for Saturn is radically different.

>Usually  the ringed star sits on
>either a pyramid shaped mound or, as in the case  of the
>loop at  the top  of the  ankh symbol, atop the Egyptian
>symbol  for  a  pillar   or   structural   support.

Actually, the circle in the ankh represented the female moon goddess,
fertility of the sky, and the cross represented the earth, terrestrial
fertility. The ankh never had anything to do with saturn.

>page 250  "..thou risest, coming forth from the  god Nu.
>          Thou  hast  come  with  thy splendors and thou
>          hast made heaven  and  earth  bright  with thy
>          rays of PURE EMERALD LIGHT"
>page 251  "...thou dost  arise in  the horizon of heaven
>          and  shed  upon  the  world  beams  of emerald
>          light;..."
>
>page 254  "..Through thee  the world waxeth green before
>          the might of Neb-er  tcher.... Thy body  is of
>          gold,  thy  head  of  azure, and emerald light
>          encircleth thee.."
>
>     The pictures of Osiris in human form on the pyramid
>walls were, of course, green.

This is metaphorical, or do you insist Saturn burned green? The green
light was Aural in nature, a spiritual and unseen force. The green
symbolize growth and love.

Stay away from shopping malls.

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

morse@leadsv.UUCP (Terry Morse) (08/08/85)

At least Velikovsky had one inkling of a good notion, that of evolutionary
change coming from catastrophe.  If present theories are to be believed,
mammals never would have gained dominance over this planet, had it not been
for the catastrophe (comet collision, asteroid collision) some 65 million
years ago that all but wiped out the great reptiles.

As for the rest of his assertions, they are just too wild and
unsubstantiated for any serious scientist to believe.
--

Terry Morse  (408)743-1487
{ seismo!nsc!cae780 } | { sun!sunncal } !leadsv!morse

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (08/09/85)

I have submitted another article on Pseudoscience, which addresses
parts of Ted Holden's recent submission.  In this article I address
some other specific points he raised.

>>These    days,   debates   between   Creationists   and
>>Evolutionists are regularly won by evolutionists.
>
>     Where?  When?  I mean in a reasonably well attended
>     setting ,  not  Rhetoric 101  at UT.  Like I say, I
>     haven't heard about it.

For example, at the University of Minnesota last
February 18th, where Duane Gish, Creationism's
most formidable debater (and one has to give him every bit
of respect for his debating skills), was soundly
defeated.  He was challenged publically, as he has been for the
past several years, to give references for his amazing claims
that proteins in human blood are more similar to those in
bullfrog blood than they are in chimpanzee blood.  When he
repeatedly avoided answering this question, the audience gave
him an well-deserved hard time.

One scientist who has debated Dr. Gish recently, Emanuel Sillman,
reported after his experience (in Creation/Evolution Newsletter
Vol. 4, No. 4), "No scientist *who prepares well* should
overlook the opportunity to debate Gish or Morris.  It may
well be that you don't make any converts, but you certainly can
raise questions in the minds of any group of people...The
arguments [Gish and Morris] raise are familiar, and easily
rebutted."  I might mention that in Sillman's debate with Gish,
the audience was "stacked" against him, because the debate
was sponsored by four fundamentalist churches and the local
Teens for Christ.  Sillman, at least, isn't afraid of the big
bad Creationists!

>>    The probability  that  any  of  Ron's  arguments is
>>valid is precisely 0.  In science, it is not the number
>>of arguments but their correctness that counts.
>
>     This one speaks for itself.  It obviously tells an
>     impartial   observer  more about  the author  than
>     about the subject matter.

Ron has not defended a single one of his arguments.  If any
of them had had any validity, he would certainly have done so,
but he hasn't.  He doesn't even have the excuse of claiming
that net.origins is a refereed journal, and that the evolutionist
conpiracy would reject his article!  So Ron himself has
shown us by his eloquent silence that his arguments are not
credible.

>>Groups of humans with six fingers are known.  The trait
>>breeds true.   There is  one such  group in (I believe)
>>Appalachia.
>
>     Like I  said,  these  people  are  fortunate  to be
>     living in  the 20'th  century.  Being burned at the
>     stake was never much fun.  But  six-fingered humans
>     seems  to  have  been  the  wrong  example  to use.
>     Mr. Jefferys seems to have missed the logical point
>     because the  example.  Six and five-fingered humans
>     could interbreed.  A  change  from  one  species to
>     another with  no possability of interbreeding could
>     only happen if more than  one  of  the  new species
>     appeared   at   one  time  i.e. under  catastrophic
>     circumstances as I described.

This is a strawman argument.  An incorrect mechanism for
speciation is proposed as if that is what evolutionists
believe.  Then the strawman is demolished.  No evolutionist
claims that new species arise from a single mutation.
Speciation is believed to occur after a breeding population
becomes isolated, and as a result of the cumulative effects
of many genetic changes.

It is easy to find examples of this.  For one, there are
"ring species" of birds, which is a chain of bird populations,
extending entirely around the globe.  Each population interbreeds
freely with its neighbors, yet at the two ends of the chain,
(where they join up) the populations are reproductively isolated,
and are in fact different species.  This situation probably
arose as members of the population migrated around the globe,
maintaining their interbreeding with neighboring members of the
population; yet when the migrating population eventually met
up with the original population , they were so different that
they had to be classified as different species.

In general, given time, a reproductively isolated population
will evolve into a new species.  If six-fingered humans were to
be isolated from the general population for long enough, they
would also eventually evolve into a distinct species.

>>Finally,  mutation   is   probably   a   minor  (though
>>important)  mechanism  in  evolution.   Duplication and
>>rearrangement of genetic  material  are  thought  to be
>>much more  important, and  they are experimentally well
>>documented.
>
>     Duplication  and  rearrangement  by   who  or  what
>     agency?   Dr. Frankenstein?   My  understanding  is
>     that when this occurs naturally, the  clinical term
>     is "cancer".

You are misinformed.  This process goes on all the time in the
production of the gametes.  Look up "meiosis" in any elementary
biology book.

>>It  is  well  established  that the first people in the
>>Western hemisphere were responsible  for the extinction
>>of  most  of  the  large  mammals  in  North  and South
>>America.  They had nothing but stone weapons, but their
>>methods were extremely effective.
>
>     I love this one!  The creatures Mr. Jefferys has in
>     mind include several which I wouldn't  want to face
>     with anything  less than  a 50 caliber machine gun.
>     My favorite ancient animal  is  the  pteratorn, not
>     really a  mammal, but  why be strict? ...

How is this relevant?  How can humans cause the extinction
of a species that died out 60 million years before there
were any humans?

Ted later gives a long quotation about ancient legends, but I will
pass on it.  For one thing,I am not competent to discuss ancient
legends.  For another, I question that such legends can seriously
be considered in evidence of any kind of astronomical events.
Carl Sagan remarked that when he discussed *Worlds in Collision*
with someone who was competent in the area of Semitic Studies,
the latter remarked that although the Assyriology, Egyptology,
Biblical scholarship and all of that Talmudic and Midrashic
*pilpul* was, of course, nonsense, he was impressed by the astronomy.
Sagan remarked that his view was quite the opposite.

By the way, I would like to know if the more sensible Creationists
on the net, such as Paul Dubois, appreciate this "help" they are
getting from the Velikovskyites.  It seems to me that by making
the Creationist cause look even more ridiculous, the Velikovkyites
are doing more harm to the Creationist cause than good.  Am I right?

--
"Men never do evil so cheerfully and so completely as when they do so from
	religious conviction."  -- Blaise Pascal

	Bill Jefferys  8-%
	Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712   (USnail)
	{allegra,ihnp4}!{ut-sally,noao}!utastro!bill	(uucp)
	bill%utastro.UTEXAS@ut-sally.ARPA		(ARPANET)

In article <365@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:

>     I wouldn't feel
>     good about publishing in  a  journal "refereed"  by
>     "scientists" in the  case of the creation-evolution
>     debate.  I would  prefer well attended debates with
>     members of the press  present  as  was  the case in
>     Roanoke. I know "scientists" a little bit too well.

	And I know the press too well, I have *no* faith
in the ability of newsmen to understand science at all!
After reading some of the articles on "scinece" innewspapers,
and seeing what TV news has done to science, I find myself
unable to give any mer credence to anything they say.
As for debates before the general public, they are won by
speaking ability *not* logic or correctness, and a speech
contest is a poor way to determine truth.

>>    The probability  that  any  of  Ron's  arguments is
>>valid is precisely 0.  In science, it is not the number
>>of arguments but their correctness that counts.
>
>     This one speaks for itself.  It obviously tells an
>     impartial   observer  more about  the author  than
>     about the subject matter.

	But that is the whole *basis* of science, looking for the
*fact*, not merely what sounds good, or who can say the most. Mr.
Jeffreys is *right*.

>     Mr. Jefferys seems to have missed the logical point
>     because the  example.  Six and five-fingered humans
>     could interbreed.  A  change  from  one  species to
>     another with  no possability of interbreeding could
>     only happen if more than  one  of  the  new species
>     appeared   at   one  time  i.e. under  catastrophic
>     circumstances as I described.

Or by gradual accumulation of changes in a small, physically
isolated population. Under such circumstances there is no reason
why the isolate could not develope reprocuctive isolation from
the other formerly con-specific populations it is now seperated
from.

>     Duplication  and  rearrangement  by   who  or  what
>     agency?   Dr. Frankenstein?   My  understanding  is
>     that when this occurs naturally, the  clinical term
>     is "cancer".

	Wrong! It is called chromosomal mutation, and *some*
instances of it *may* lead to cancer, but by no means all.
In fact the only result is may well be reproductive isolation!
(Though I think such a limited effect is probably rare). To
see how some of this works, try locating the various studies on
the genetics of *wild* species of Drosophila. There are a number
of species and species complexes in which chromosome rearrangement
is *typical* and *frequent* without any ill-effect, and in fact
what appears to be some adaptive effects. Or read about Oenothera,
a flower genus in which rearrangements are so common that Meiosis
often results in chromosome *ring* instead of pairs!

>>It  is  well  established  that the first people in the
>>Western hemisphere were responsible  for the extinction
>>of  most  of  the  large  mammals  in  North  and South
>>America.  They had nothing but stone weapons, but their
>>methods were extremely effective.
>
>     I love this one!  The creatures Mr. Jefferys has in
>     mind include several which I wouldn't  want to face
>     with anything  less than  a 50 caliber machine gun.

	If I were alone, I would agree, but the ancient hunters
had a *major* advantage, teemwork and language. A large group
of hunters working closely together and *communicating* with
on another can do remarkable things.

>     My favorite ancient animal  is  the  pteratorn, not
>     really a  mammal, but  why be strict?  Mr. Jefferys
>     will  sooner  or  later  have  to  account  for the
>     pteratorn's extinction  as well.  The pteratorn was
>     a 200 lb. golden eagle with a 30 foot wingspan.  An
>     eagle's ability  to kill  things is  grossly out of
>     proportion to its size.  I am morally certain
>     that the pteratorn would enjoy the meal as  much as
>     I would  enjoy the  (brief) spectacle.  It wouldn't
>     be quite fair to  say that  the guys  from UT would
>     fare  as  badly  or  worse than the Neanderthals of
>     10,000 years  ago;    the  Neanderthals  would know
>     better than to try it.  Since  the only  danger  to
>     the pteratorn would be indigestion, the SPCA  would
>     probably not object to the event being staged.

	But see above. A well organized hunt by a sufficiently
well trained group could definately kill a Pteratorn. But then,
not *all* extinctions were caused by humanity, only a large
number of the more recent ones! The Pteratorn may have become
extinct because the large prey it required to live were no longer
available due to our hunting them to extinction. (Note, I only said
*may* *have*).

>     Immanuel Velikovsky  was  aware  of this
>     but  refrained  from  including  it  in  "Worlds in
>     Collision, Vol  I"  specifically  because  it would
>     seem  too  weird  to  most  people.   Every book on
>     dinosaurs  I  have  read  mentions  the  problem of
>     weight   for   these   animals;   most  state  that
>     brontosaurs lived in water even though their bodies
>     show  no  adaptation  for  an  aquatic life, simply
>     because rudimentary calculations showed  that their
>     legs would  not support  them on land.

	Well, you have not been reading very recent work on this.
Those "calculations" were *very* rudimentary, so rudimentary I would
call them guesses rather than calculations. *Real* calcualtions
have shown that even the largest "brontosaur" had plenty of *extra*
support capacity in thier legs! They would have had no more trouble on
dry land than an Elephant. This has been accepted for quite a number
of years now by the scientific community. In fact the lack of aquatic
adaptions in these animals is now held to be conclusive proof that
they were *not* aquatic.

>     The problem
>     for large birds is more appalling.  I have actually
>     seen   books   which   state  that  pterosaurs  and
>     pteratorns climbed  up  mountains  and  then glided
>     down again,  a hell of a hard way to have to make a
>     living.  The authors  were  admitting  that  200 lb
>     birds can't  fly in  our world.

	Same problem again, these guesses(or assumptions)
have been amply dispelled by valid calculations. The larger
Pterosaurs have in fact been shown to have a better lift ratio
than any airplane. The stall speed of Pteranodon was about 5 mph
(and that is *air speed* not ground speed). Such an organism
could take off just by facing into the wind!(I believe this was
in a recent issue of one of the Linnean Society jornals).
The pteratorn is prabably a similar case of jumping to a conclusion
before making proper calculations! I see no reason why it could not
fly!

	And I wasn't going to get involve in the Velikovsky debate!
I just couldn't let such gross mis-statements pass without comment.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen

In article <565@mit-vax.UUCP> csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) writes:

>>[Ted Holden]
>>You haven't heard of the  ultrasaur,
>>you say?   The  people  at  Penn  State  apparently have
>>acquired  him  rather  recently.
>
>No, the CREATIONISTS at Penn State acquired him. Of course, they will
>immediately send it up to their doubting colleagues at Harvard and it
>will be lost in the mail.

	Actually for once Mr Holden is more or less correct, "ultrasaurus"
is the informal name of a recently discovered Sauropod(or as Mr Holden
calls them "brontosaur") which is larger than any previously known. Of
course this does not invalidate the calculations that Sauropods
*could* support themselves on land. I am curious though, how did Mr
Holden find out about such a recent find and still miss all the
calculations about the *actual* support capacity of Sauropod legs?

BTW Mr Forsythe, some of your comments on Velikovsky's (mis)treatment
of ancient myths and religious writings were quite good.