[net.origins] Absence of Thought

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (07/29/85)

Somebody said I should take a look at net.origins.  I'm not sure
whether to thank that person.  What I see here is quite a
collection of atyles of argument.  Some people try to be careful
about their deductive process but get involved in some v-e-r-y long
arguments about their premises or evidence.  Others proceed from
point to point with no regard whatsoever for any rules of inference
and sometimes, it seems, without even understanding the words they
use to demonstrate their ignorance.

As an illustration, here are some samples from a few articles by a
person I will call "Dan"  (because that is what he calls himself).
Don't worry about the chance that these excerpts are taken out of
context.  There is no context in which they would look good, except
perhaps in the context of the National Lampoon.

>   What is the difference between "described by" and "predicted by"? If the
>   model "describes" a certain set of observable circumstances, wouldn't
>   this also constitute "predicted by"?

I have to hand it to this guy, he's not shy about his stupidity!
The urge to form parodies is irresistable.  How about: "My model
of the United States includes the fact that Ronald Reagan is the
president.  Therefore I have predicted that Ronald Reagan is the
president."

Dan says:
>>>  I can just as easily say that I believe in creation because species
>>>  seem to have a common design.
"Mike" replies:
>>You can say it.  But that doesn't make it valid reasoning.
Dan answers:
> Why isn't it valid reasoning?

Let's suppose it were a valid argument.  In that case stars must
have been created by god because they are all round in shape, and
that watches are not created because different ones work on such
different principles.

Here's another choice tidbit which I found amusing.
> Wrong! My conclusion was this: Since there is nothing in the present
> structure of natural law that can account for its own origin, the Universe
> could not have created itself. Therefore, it must have had a supernatural
> origin.

Now Dan might mean one of two things by this, depending on how you
interpret his phrase "present structure of natural law".  He could
be saying that because we do not yet know a scientific cause for
the the existence of the universe, there cannot be a scientific
cause.  Or he could mean that he knows somehow that the laws of
nature forbid the spontaneous origination of a universe.  Either
way, he's wrong.  Dare I go into the reasons?  If I don't I will
probably be accused of "proof-by-assertion" and if I do I will
probably get ridiculed by those who either can't understand the
reasons or can't refute them.  That seems to be how this group
runs.  Examples:
-----------

--------
>>Neither conclusion stems from rational thought.
> Prove it!
(I thought the last shows a good use of irony.)

I hope I have captured the proper tone and style in this, my first
and possibly last, contribution.  I will watch as long as it
remains amusing but perhaps net.origins could be replaced by a
linear combination of net.flame, net.religion, and net.bizarre.
Anyone who is not offended may write to me for individual attention.
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

foy@aero.ARPA (Richard Foy ) (08/03/85)

In article <890@oddjob.UUCP> matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) writes:
>Somebody said I should take a look at net.origins.  I'm not sure
>whether to thank that person.  What I see here is quite a
>collection of atyles of argument.  Some people try to be careful
>about their deductive process but get involved in some v-e-r-y long
>arguments about their premises or evidence.  Others proceed from
>point to point with no regard whatsoever for any rules of inference
Lots of interesting examples.

>I hope I have captured the proper tone and style in this, my first
>and possibly last, contribution.  I will watch as long as it
>remains amusing but perhaps net.origins could be replaced by a
>linear combination of net.flame, net.religion, and net.bizarre.
>Anyone who is not offended may write to me for individual attention.

I like this article. It has stepped above the usual.
Sometimes I wonder why there is so much argument about the origin of things.
It doesn't bother me that some people believe that God created the world etc
a few thousands of years ago, and that others believe that it was created by
physical processes that began a few billions of years ago. I do get a little
bothered when either tries to impose their beliefs on me.

Please keep involved Matt.

dan@scgvaxd.UUCP (Dan Boskovich) (08/08/85)

>Somebody said I should take a look at net.origins.  I'm not sure
>whether to thank that person.  What I see here is quite a
>collection of atyles of argument.  Some people try to be careful
>about their deductive process but get involved in some v-e-r-y long
>arguments about their premises or evidence.  Others proceed from
>point to point with no regard whatsoever for any rules of inference
>and sometimes, it seems, without even understanding the words they
>use to demonstrate their ignorance.
>
>As an illustration, here are some samples from a few articles by a
>person I will call "Dan"  (because that is what he calls himself).
>Don't worry about the chance that these excerpts are taken out of
>context.  There is no context in which they would look good, except
>perhaps in the context of the National Lampoon.

>>   What is the difference between "described by" and "predicted by"? If the
>>   model "describes" a certain set of observable circumstances, wouldn't
>>   this also constitute "predicted by"?

>I have to hand it to this guy, he's not shy about his stupidity!
>The urge to form parodies is irresistable.  How about: "My model
>of the United States includes the fact that Ronald Reagan is the
>president.  Therefore I have predicted that Ronald Reagan is the
>president."

 This is utter nonsense! This in no way can be compared to a scientific
 model of origins. A more reasonable comparison would be: :My model of
 the United States system of government includes a Congress  according
 to a study of the constitution. Now we look at the United States and see
 that there is in fact a functioning Congress."

Dan says:
"Mike" replies:
>>>You can say it.  But that doesn't make it valid reasoning.
Dan answers:
>> Why isn't it valid reasoning?

>Let's suppose it were a valid argument.  In that case stars must
>have been created by god because they are all round in shape, and
>that watches are not created because different ones work on such
>different principles.

 More nonsense! First of all I said species have a common design! Not
 lifeless objects. Maybe you should read the article more carefully
 before criticizing it. Secondly, you can just as easily make a
 mockery of the evolutionary argument of common ancestry. For example:
 Since things have a common ancestry, basketballs must have evolved from
 baseballs, which evolved from tennis balls which evolved from ping pong
 balls. Of course, now we have the ultimate species - bowling balls!

 This is as ridiculous as your example because I used an example that had
 no relationship whatsoever to the argument just as you did!

>Here's another choice tidbit which I found amusing.
>> Wrong! My conclusion was this: Since there is nothing in the present
>> structure of natural law that can account for its own origin, the Universe
>> could not have created itself. Therefore, it must have had a supernatural
>> origin.

>Now Dan might mean one of two things by this, depending on how you
>interpret his phrase "present structure of natural law".  He could
>be saying that because we do not yet know a scientific cause for
>the the existence of the universe, there cannot be a scientific
>cause.  Or he could mean that he knows somehow that the laws of
>nature forbid the spontaneous origination of a universe.  Either
>way, he's wrong.  Dare I go into the reasons?  If I don't I will

 Or, I could be saying that since we DO NOT KNOW of any way NOTHING
 could have become SOMETHING through NATURAL PROCESSES, it is at least
 AS REASONABLE to conclude that "supernatural processes were the
 cause of origin" as it is to conclude that "we will someday discover
 the natural cause of origin"!!

 And, I might add that it is equally UNscientific and biased to rule
 out either _a priori_. So why shouldn't both be considered a valid
 hypothesis.

>probably be accused of "proof-by-assertion" and if I do I will
>probably get ridiculed by those who either can't understand the
>reasons or can't refute them.  That seems to be how this group
>runs.  Examples:
>> Ahhh! Now I understand what valid reasoning is! Quote a book title!
-----------
>>>Once again, a bald statement, with no reasoning.  (And where you have
>>>presented a case in the past, it has been shown to be bad, if not
>>>dishonest.)

>> Once again, an attack on my reasoning, with no explanation! Again, why
>> isn't it valid reasoning? Dishonest? Please explain!
--------
>>>Neither conclusion stems from rational thought.
>> Prove it!
>(I thought the last shows a good use of irony.)

   What is all of this suppose to prove? I do not make any sense of
   it. Is there supposed to be a point here?

>I hope I have captured the proper tone and style in this, my first
>and possibly last, contribution.  I will watch as long as it
>remains amusing but perhaps net.origins could be replaced by a
>linear combination of net.flame, net.religion, and net.bizarre.
>Anyone who is not offended may write to me for individual attention.
>Matt            University      crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
>Crawford        of Chicago      ihnp4!oddjob!matt

  What you have captured is a pointless and nonsensical contribution
  to this newsgroup! My suggestion is that you read net.nonsense for
  a while were you could make wonderful contributions.

					      Dan

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (08/11/85)

> >> Wrong! My conclusion was this: Since there is nothing in the present
> >> structure of natural law that can account for its own origin, the Universe
> >> could not have created itself. Therefore, it must have had a supernatural
> >> origin.
>
> >Now Dan might mean one of two things by this, depending on how you
> >interpret his phrase "present structure of natural law".  He could
> >be saying that because we do not yet know a scientific cause for
> >the the existence of the universe, there cannot be a scientific
> >cause.  Or he could mean that he knows somehow that the laws of
> >nature forbid the spontaneous origination of a universe.  Either
> >way, he's wrong.  Dare I go into the reasons?  If I don't I will
>
>  Or, I could be saying that since we DO NOT KNOW of any way NOTHING
>  could have become SOMETHING through NATURAL PROCESSES, it is at least
>  AS REASONABLE to conclude that "supernatural processes were the
>  cause of origin" as it is to conclude that "we will someday discover
>  the natural cause of origin"!!

   Even after you amended your origional statement, Dan, it is still
hopelessly wrong.  'at least AS REASONABLE', indeed!  When history is
full of examples of unexplained phenomena which were later shown to have
natural causes: weather, seasons, eclipses, rainbows, the sun's source of
power, etc.  At one time each of these phenomena were unexplainable
according to the current understanding of physical law; naturalistic
explanations were later found for each of them.  Got as many good examples
of unxplained phenomena which were later shown to have supernatural
causes?  If not, why are you certain that it is 'at least as reasonable'
to postulate a supernatural explanation as to postulate a naturalistic one?
    Silly pseudo-quote: "Nobody used to understand why
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

beth@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Beth Christy) (08/13/85)

		    [This line intentionally left blank]

>>>,> = Dan Boskovich; >> = Matt Crawford

>>> Wrong! My conclusion was this: Since there is nothing in the present
>>> structure of natural law that can account for its own origin, the Universe
>>> could not have created itself. Therefore, it must have had a supernatural
>>> origin.
>
>>Now Dan might mean one of two things by this, depending on how you
>>interpret his phrase "present structure of natural law".  He could
>>be saying that because we do not yet know a scientific cause for
>>the the existence of the universe, there cannot be a scientific
>>cause.  Or he could mean that he knows somehow that the laws of
>>nature forbid the spontaneous origination of a universe.  Either
>>way, he's wrong.  Dare I go into the reasons?  If I don't I will
>
> Or, I could be saying that since we DO NOT KNOW of any way NOTHING
> could have become SOMETHING through NATURAL PROCESSES, it is at least
> AS REASONABLE to conclude that "supernatural processes were the
> cause of origin" as it is to conclude that "we will someday discover
> the natural cause of origin"!!
>
> And, I might add that it is equally UNscientific and biased to rule
> out either _a priori_. So why shouldn't both be considered a valid
> hypothesis.

(Why is it that you creationists are completely incapable of grasping
 the notion that there are qualitative differences between "natural"
 and "supernatural"?  I'll try to demonstrate this patiently:)

Would you consider the hypothesis "whenever you let go of something, god
makes it fall" to be scientific?  I sincerely hope not.  But it does,
after all, explain why everything up til now has fallen.  So why isn't it
scientific?  Ten to one your first reaction is to say "because everybody
knows gravity makes things fall".  But the reason it's unscientific is
*not* that an alternate natural explanation exists.  It's unscientific
because, not only does it have no application to any Other area, it can't
even predict whether or not things will continue to fall.  As many crea-
tionists have pointed out, we simply *can't* predict what a supernatural
being will do, and we can't know whether or not s/he'll keep it up (so to
speak :-) ).

Now this example is obviously unscientific, because there *is* an alter-
native, scientific explanation that *not only* explains why everything up
til now has fallen, *not only* predicts (with success) that things will
continue to fall, it *also* explains a host of other neat things (like
orbits and stuff).  (For those of you on the edge of your seats wondering
what theory it is, I'm talking about gravity. :-)  But the point here is
that the existence of an alternate, natural explanation has no impact on
the actual quality of the supernatural explanation.  It only serves as
something to compare the latter to.  The fact that alternate explanations
*do* exist has no bearing on the validity of supernatural explanations,
and the fact that they don't currently exist doesn't either.  After all,
"whenever you let go of something, god makes it fall" wasn't any more
scientific *before* Newton than it is now.  With or without natural
explanations, supernatural explanations are just plain bad science.

"But," you may say, "at least until natural explanations come along,
supernatural ones are better than nothing."  But think about that.  Are
they really?  What do they buy us?  They may explain how things actually
are.  But do they say anything at all about how things will be?  And do
they lead us to new and useful discoveries about other things?  I believe
(although (it should go without saying) I could be wrong) that genetics
was spawned by an attempt to determine how individuals passed on their
"relative advantages" according to the theory of natural selection.
Certainly a host of archeological milestones are directly attributable to
attempts to verify(/disprove) evolutionary theory.  And by acknowledging
the genetic relatedness between humans and other creatures, drugs can be
more effectively tested without risking human lives, and hence are just
lots and lots safer when they do hit the market.  The list goes on.  Now
creation theory has been around a heck of a lot longer than evolutionary
theory.  In the long absence of the alternate, natural explanation, what
scientific benefits did the supernatural one offer?  On what basis would
you claim that "supernatural explanations are better than nothing"?  Or,
if you say I've built a strawman and you *don't* claim that, on what
basis would you claim that they're better than (or even "at least as good
as") the natural ones that do exist?  And if you don't claim either, then
what the h*ll are posting to net.origins for?

	       [This blank line, however, was an accident]
--

--JB       (Beth Christy, U. of Chicago, ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!beth)

		"Oh yeah, P.S.,
		 I, I feel, feel like, I am
		 in a burning building
		 And I gotta go."            (Laurie Anderson)

In article <967@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> beth@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP
   (Beth Christy) writes:

>Now this example is obviously unscientific, because there *is* an alter-
>native, scientific explanation that *not only* explains why everything up
>til now has fallen, *not only* predicts (with success) that things will
>continue to fall, it *also* explains a host of other neat things (like
>orbits and stuff).  (For those of you on the edge of your seats wondering
>what theory it is, I'm talking about gravity. :-)  But the point here is
>that the existence of an alternate, natural explanation has no impact on
>the actual quality of the supernatural explanation.  It only serves as
>something to compare the latter to.  The fact that alternate explanations
>*do* exist has no bearing on the validity of supernatural explanations,
>and the fact that they don't currently exist doesn't either.  After all,
>"whenever you let go of something, god makes it fall" wasn't any more
>scientific *before* Newton than it is now.  With or without natural
>explanations, supernatural explanations are just plain bad science.

So far, so good.

>"But," you may say, "at least until natural explanations come along,
>supernatural ones are better than nothing."  But think about that.  Are
>they really?  What do they buy us?  They may explain how things actually
>are.  But do they say anything at all about how things will be?  And do
>they lead us to new and useful discoveries about other things?  I believe
>(although (it should go without saying) I could be wrong) that genetics
>was spawned by an attempt to determine how individuals passed on their
>"relative advantages" according to the theory of natural selection.
>Certainly a host of archeological milestones are directly attributable to
>attempts to verify(/disprove) evolutionary theory.  And by acknowledging
>the genetic relatedness between humans and other creatures, drugs can be
>more effectively tested without risking human lives, and hence are just
>lots and lots safer when they do hit the market.  The list goes on.  Now
>creation theory has been around a heck of a lot longer than evolutionary
>theory.  In the long absence of the alternate, natural explanation, what
>scientific benefits did the supernatural one offer?  On what basis would
>you claim that "supernatural explanations are better than nothing"?  Or,
>if you say I've built a strawman and you *don't* claim that, on what
>basis would you claim that they're better than (or even "at least as good
>as") the natural ones that do exist?  And if you don't claim either, then
>what the h*ll are posting to net.origins for?

Things were going along just fine until we ran into genetics, which,
incidentally, is a very good example of the kind of erroneous argument
about science that some have put forth on the net.  Genetics, as most of
us know, originated when Gregor Mendel realized that there was a pattern
to the passing on of traits in the plants he was raising.  People were
already aware that traits were passed on to descendants, but they had no
theory of how or in what proportions.  Having stumbled onto a submissive
gene, Mendel realized that these traits were somehow quantized.  (This
predated Darwin by quite some time, by the way.)  People already had some
ideas about this process, but the ideas were improper theories, just as
spontaneous generation was an improper theory (and not a miracle, as
Rich Rosen chooses to believe).

Evolution as a theory came about in the same way.  Darwin, upon observing
birds and other animals in the Galapagos, came to the realization that the
various species of finches (I think it was finches) were adapted to various
habitats, and moreover, that he could relate them in such a way that it
appeared that more specialized species derived from less specialized species.
Generalizing from this, it became apparent to him that this kind of relation
could be found almost anywhere, and, most importantly, that he could trace
lines of speciation back into the fossil records.  It is this kind of
recognition of a pattern and generalization that is characteristic of
valid scientific theories.

Creationists have attacked evolution on supposedly scientific grounds.
Whether or not their attacks have merit, I think that the end goal of
their attacks (which is to clear out a space in science into which they
can fit their religious doctrine) must be regarded with suspicion.

Others, I should note, are not above suspicion.  Currently in net.philosophy
there is an argument about free will.  Ignoring for the moment the problem
that no one seems to have a coherent definition, some people have been making
the assertion that "the world is almost entirely deterministic, so we must
conclude that the mind is too, since there is no evidence to the contrary."
This simply isn't valid science, because one can quite symmetrically argue
that "the world has some random processes, so we must conclude that the
mind is too, since there is no evidence to the contrary."  The whole point
is that there is no evidence.  It's all well and good to construct
hypotheses like these, but, in the utter lack of any real evidence or
understanding of what happens in the human brain, they must remain hypotheses.
This is precisely why you can't have creationism taught as science; as a
hypothesis, it is impossible to prove (short of a revelation).  Evolution
has a lot of evidence to support it, but even if it is proven to be wrong,
the choice is between evolution and "we don't know".

Charley Wingate