[net.origins] The Mandelbrot Set

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/16/85)

In a recent issue of Scientific American is an article on what has been called
"probably the most complex object in mathematics". It's called the Mandelbrot
Set. Have a look at it and ask yourself who put this complexity in a simple
mathematical equation.
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian werewolf)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

In article <414@baylor.UUCP> peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:

>In a recent issue of Scientific American is an article on what has been
>called "probably the most complex object in mathematics". It's called
>the Mandelbrot Set. Have a look at it and ask yourself who put this
>complexity in a simple mathematical equation.

   "God created the integers; the rest is the work of man."

    --Famous Mathematician Whose Name I've Forgotten

Actually, it's a series, not an equation.  Series are notorious for acting
up along strange boundaries.

For all those who choose to answer, "God", to the above question, I suggest
you consider that, if God made man and man made mathematics, then is it not
possible that mathematics still shows of the glory of God?  It seems to me
that such a question is so circular that one can only expect the Christians
to answer "God", and the atheists to answer "men".

Charley Wingate