[net.origins] Catastrophic Evolution

rlp@cbosgd.UUCP (Bob Platt) (08/16/85)

>From: ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden)

>The nastiest problem which Darwinists face, in my estimation,
>explaining  the  development  of  ancient  animals INTO a
>situation of size and  weight  which  would  totally prohibit
>their very  existence on this planet
>The basic  manner in  which this  problem is now
>handled by "scientists"  like Mr. Jefferys is to hope that it
>goes away or that nobody notices it.

A rich analogy for dealing with supposed problems like this comes
from hydrodynamics. Water follows the principle of always seeking the
lowest level,  yet a stream's course is determined solely by local
conditions. A stream does not "know" if the valley it is flowing
into is actually rising (due to plate tectonic forces). Moreover
once a course is taken, it becomes ingrained. Likewise, as a species
courses through "fitness space" always seeking the highest fitness,
its evolution also follows a local determinism. It doesn't know if
by going through a slightly less fit intermediate form, it may end
up more fit in the end, or if the very evolutionary ground it is
relying on may break up due to some cataclysm. In this light, many
anti-Darwinian arguments become isomorphic to silly statements
like "Lake Tahoe is compelling evidence that water does not tend
to flow downhill."  If this were the main problem with evolutionary
theory, we would be fortunate, but many more serious ones need to be
tackled.

P.S. I'm looking forward to your article on legendary sources of
information that bear on evolution.

					Joe Knapp (cbosgd!nscs!jmk)

In article <369@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:

>2.   Mr. Jefferys  claims  that  every  single  one  of  Ron Kukuk
>     and Walter  Brown's  116  points  are  invalid,  because they
>     have  not  taken  the  time  to  defend  them on net.origins.
>     This is a  logical  falicy.

	As stated, I agree, it is a logical fallacy. However there is
another reason why the 116 points are invalid. That is that when
those who understand the evidence evaluate these points they have
found them to be invalid! I and the few others here on the net who
have a real background in science have found no merit in any of them.
Did you see the tally that was being kept of the validity of the 116
points?(Unfortunately the person who was doing it found he did not
have the time to continue). The basic results of this were that most
of the points were basd on invalid reasoning.

>Mr. Jefferys replied:
>
>>Finally,  mutation  is  probably   a  minor   (though  important)
>>mechanism in evolution.  Duplication and rearrangement of genetic
>>material are thought to be  much  more  important,  and  they are
>>experimentally well documented.
>
>Here I assumed Mr. Jefferys was talking about something other than
>mutation, which  I take  to be  any abnormal  difference between a
>child and  its parent.   At least,  that's what it sounds like.  I
>replied:

	This is a rather poor definition of mutation.  Mutation is any
change in the genetic material affecting offspring. It may or may not
be visible.  In fact it may be almost any sort of difference at all.
Many common variants are continually recreated by means of mutatuion,
so the resulting features need not even be previously unknown!

>Mr. Jefferys now replies:
>
>>You are misinformed.  This process  goes on  all the  time in the
>>production of  the gametes.   Look up "meiosis" in any elementary
>>biology book.
>
>     You mean that the  gametes are  changed so  that the children
>come  out  looking  different  from  their  parents?   Isn't  that
>mutation?  I mean, why play games  with words?   I prefer straight
>talk to semantical games myself.

	O.K. straight talk, Mr Jefferys is saying that processes of
change are normal, and occur every day. And he is not playing games
with words, he is using standard scientific terminology!

>     begin to  sink in.  These huge expanses of time exist only in
>     the imaginations of some scientists.  Kukuk and Brown provide
>     ample  documentation  of  the  fact  that  dinosaur and human
>     footprints have been found together, not only in America, but
>     in the  Soviet Union as well.  There is also the case of "The
>     Doheney  Scientific  Expedition  to  the  Hava  Supai Canyon,
>     Northern Arizona, 1925" (1927)  by S. Hubbard.  There, scenes
>     depicting humans, modern animals,  AND DINOSAURS,  were found
>     on the  walls of  caves, the  entire walls being covered with
>     the natural 'desert varnish',  indicating  great  age.  Sixty
>     million  years?   Bullshit.   Kukuk and Brown give compelling
>     evidence that  most  of  the  systems  which  scientists have
>     used  to  date  past  ages  are logically circular.  The ones
>     which  aren't  make  the  tacit  assumption   of  uniformity,
>     that  present  processes  can  be  extended backwards in time
>     forever.   Even  one  catastrophy  of  a  global  nature, and
>     there have been several, ruins all of those assumptions.

	And I say BULL right back. Kukuk and Brown have provided ample
documentation of *nothing*. Thier supposed evidence for circularity in
dating methods is based on a complete misunderstanding of how these
things are really done.  And what sorts of catastrophes would
restructure physics without leaving clear signs of thier occurance?

>5.   Mr. Jefferys claims:
>
>>Speciation  is  believed  to  occur  after  a breeding population
>>becomes isolated, and as  a result  of the  cumulative effects of
>>many genetic changes.
>
>     Such  processes  could  account  for  the  difference between
>a wolf and a collie, but  not for  the differences  between a wolf
>and a kangaroo.  Again, my original argument, chance mutations are
>too  few   and  far   between.   Despite   all  chance  mutations,

	How did you demonstrate this? What mechanism limits mutation
plus natural selection to such small changes? Once a speciation event
has occured the process simply starts over again with the new species.

> no new sp. of mammals has appeared since the ice ages.
> Serious  scientists gave
>up on  this aspect  of Darwinism  many years  ago.  V.L. Kellog of
>Stanford wrote the following in 1907:
>
>     "The  fair  truth  is   that  the   Darwinian  selection
>     theories,  considered   with  regard  to  their  claimed
>     capacity to be  an  independantly  sufficient mechanical
>     explanation   of    descent,   stand   today   seriously
>     discredited in the biological world."

	And this paper has been seriously discredited since then! In
1907 Dr Kellog simply did not have the evidence we have today.  You
are entirely wrong about this whole matter. Serious scientists *do*
still accept the basic tenets of Darwin's theories. And there may well
have been several new species of mammal formed since the Ice Ages,
there are a number of locally endemic species of small mammal in
various parts of the world which show signs of recent origin. It is
immensely concieted to say you know for sure that none of these forms
is of recent origin. In fact, I consider the domestic dog to be a new
species, different from its wild ancestors.

>6.   The nastiest problem which Darwinists face, in my estimation,
>     is  explaining  the  development  of  ancient  animals INTO a
>     condition of size and  weight  which  would  totally prohibit
>     their very  existence on this planet, at least as this planet
>     exists now.  The basic  manner in  which this  problem is now
>     handled by "scientists"  like Mr. Jefferys is to hope that it
>     goes away or that nobody notices it.  I don't regard  that as
>     science.  David  Talbott, formerly of the Pensee journal, the
>     old  Student  Academic  Freedom  Forum,  presents  a rational
>     picture  of  the  archaic  world,  including  the  conditions
>     necessary   for   pteratorns   and   brontosaurs   to  exist.

	What animals existed that cannot now exist? Every case of
supposedly impossible animals that I know of was a case of ad hoc
guessing without proper analysis. In *every* case, when the proper
analysis was made the idea that these animals would be impossible
today has proven to be *wrong*.

--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen