[net.origins] science society Darwinism/ open versus closed systems

ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) (08/16/85)

Patrick Wyant of Bell Labs writes:

>    To the public, the issues of elections and voting are very important
>democratic principles.  But, what are the issues suitable for a public
>referendum?  While science is not monolithic or a dictatorship, it does behave
>as an oligarchy.  In politics, the U.S. was established as a republic so that
>a few people might inform themselves of the issues and make policy decisions
>which are binding on all.  Science has become a similar arrangement, with its
>own culture and values.  Now it appears as if parts of the general public want
>a recall of the scientific society because of its failure to support the
>fundamentalist Christian agenda.

               Congratulations Mr. Wyant.   That's hitting  the nail pretty
          squarely over the head.   Does this  surprise anybody?  Remember,
          amongst other things, we're talking about what gets taught in the
          public  schools.   It  surprises  ME  that  this  hasn't happened
          sooner.

               Ronald Reagan, George Bush, Jerry Falwell, Dale Crowley, and
          all of their friends aren't going away anytime soon.  The Supreme
          Court five  years hence  is likely  to be  more conservative than
          anything  we've  seen.   After  they've  reversed   the  Wade-Roe
          decision and  taken care  of prayer in the schools, they're going
          to be looking around  for further  sources of  amusement and it's
          unlikely  that  the  the  teaching of evolution will escape their
          notice.

               I don't believe it's a question of whether  creationism will
          be  taught;    I  believe  it's  a  question of whether evolution
          will still be taught.   Crippled  and  botched  theories  such as
          Darwinian  evolution  and  the  principle of uniformity generally
          will be about as much of an ally  to scientists  in this struggle
          as 15  year old welfare mothers are an ally to people involved in
          the civil rights struggle.   Scientists  are  likely  to discover
          that,  aside  from  being  correct,  Immanuel Velikovsky with his
          notion of catastrophic evolution represents the  only chance they
          have  to  do  anything  other  than spend the rest of their lives
          coming in last.

               I actually prefer open  debates and  decision making  to the
          dealings of secret societies, myself.  In a recent article on the
          net, I wrote:

>My  own  training  was  in
>science (math) and  not  religion.  I wouldn't feel
>good about publishing in  a  journal "refereed"  by
>"scientists" in the  case of the creation-evolution
>debate.  I would  prefer well attended debates with
>members of the press  present  as  was  the case in
>Roanoke. I know "scientists" a little bit too well.

               Wm. Jefferys, of the UT Astronomy dept., in an article which
          should  have  been  titled  "Signs  by  which  ye  might know the
          Pseudo-Scientist",  states  that  this  is  a  sure  sign  of the
          pseudo-scientist.   I   look  for  pentagrams  and  hammer-sickle
          devices embroidered on the  suspects bvd's  myself.  But  I'm not
          worried.   In  liking  open  dealings,  I'm in good company.  All
          ancient Greeks, our founding fathers, and all philosophers living
          and dead would agree with me.

               Consider the  company Mr. Jefferys is in with his preference
          for  back  rooms,  closely  gaurded  journals,   and  the  secret
          societies of  "experts".  He  is in  the company of the Communist
          Party of the USSR,  Richard Nixon,  the leaders  of Nazi Germany,
          all members  of the  KKK, living  and dead, Thomas de Torquemada,
          the Jesuit Order and everyone involved  in the  inquisitions, and
          on and on as far back as you'd like to go.

               Astronomy  in  20'th  century  America is about as closed an
          organization as it is  possible to  have anymore.   The following
          article  is  quoted  in  it's  entirety.  It was addressed to the
          editors  of  the  Kronos  Journal  from  a  Mr. J.M. McCanney  of
          Roseville, MN.

          From the Kronos Journal, volumn X Number 3, Summer 1985

               A renowned British physicist recently wrote to me concerning
          his confrontation with editors  of a  popular astronomy magazine.
          He stated  that "there is far too much evidence of suppression of
          papers which do not take the now orthodox  Oort-Whipple (ice-ball
          comet) model  as an  axiomatic starting point....It does make one
          wonder if Astronomy qualifies as a science!".

               In 1980, in a letter of rejection to  a paper  submitted for
          publication  which  predicted  electric  fields  near  the planet
          Saturn  (the  paper  was  subsequently  published  elsewhere),  a
          journal  editor  scolded  me  for  not  following "the scientific
          method".  He explained that one must  start with  accepted theory
          as presented  in the  respected journals,  reference it properly,
          and add any new work  to  this  frame-work.   He  added  that the
          workings of  Saturn's ring  system were  well understood and that
          there was no need to consider electrical phenomena.   Four months
          later, Voyager  I reached  the electrified planet Saturn and sent
          back what some scientists  consider the  most mishandled  data in
          the history of modern science.

               What  are  the  axioms  of  Astronomy.   They  are the basic
          concepts around  which theory  and data  must conform  as seen by
          traditionally educated scientists.  They are:

               -    the solar  system formed  4.5 billion years ago and the
                    order of  the  planets  has  not  changed  since (first
                    stated by the mathematician LaPlace).
               -    the  universe  began  in  a "big bang" about 10 billion
                    years ago and  the  universe  has  been  expanding ever
                    since  (first  stated  by  Hubble  at  the  turn of the
                    century).
               -    Gravity is  the  sole  force  that  governs  the cosmos
                    (first stated by Newton).
               -    Comets are frozen balls of ice which melt when near the
                    sun (first stated by Kepler).

               All other accepted theories of Astronomy  such as  the Venus
          Greenhouse Effect,  and scores  of others, as well as theories in
          Geology (i.e.,  plate  tectonics),  Archeology,  and Evolutionary
          Biology  have  been  developed  to  conform  with  these  axioms.
          Literally all data from  space  probes  are  interpreted  by NASA
          scientists to  support the axioms.  The popular science magazines
          and  newspapers  force-feed  the  public  with  scientific  hype,
          constantly referring to these axioms.

               Under the  axioms, a  great many  predictions have been made
          about the expected state  of the  cosmos.  But  what happens when
          data from  new work  of research  contradicts the expectations of
          the axioms?  There are three possible  courses of  action: 1) re-
          consider the  basic axiomatic  structure, 2) rationalize the data
          to support the axioms by creating after the fact ad-hoc theories,
          or  3)  sweep  the  data  under the rug.  Unfortunately, the peer
          editing systems of our scientific journals only support  the last
          two possibilities.  There is a reason for this.

               These  axioms  have  formed the cornerstones of astronomical
          belief at least since the  early  1900s.   The  fonts  of western
          knowledge  lie  in  the  universities  where  tradition  and  the
          respected scientific journals are based.  The strict hierarchy of
          advancement  (from  graduate  student  to aged tenured professor)
          forces underlings to comply  with this  protocol.  Dissenters and
          original thinkers  have no  place in this structure.  One is only
          granted permission to build on the existing caste system.  Change
          cannot be  expected, however  necessary or justified, within this
          framework.

               A thorough look at  the astronomy  journals shows  that they
          are  filled  with  papers  based  on the standard axioms, but the
          axioms are never questioned.  How embarrassing might it  be if it
          were discovered  that 80 years of published papers were erroneous
          (especially after censoring and  publically ridiculing  those who
          may later  be viewed  as correct)?  Every gradeschooler has heard
          how the now heralded  theories  of  Copernicus,  Galileo, Kepler,
          Newton, and  even Einstein  (as well as countless others in other
          fields) were met with closed doors by the  seats of  knowledge of
          their day.

               Secondly, this  is a  closed system.   These groups reign as
          "the experts",  generally  controlling  the  flow  of publishable
          material to  their journals  and the  popular media.  They do not
          allow  those  in  other  fields  to  cross  the interdisciplinary
          boundaries; they  control the  new personnel  who enter the field
          and those who seek employment in the field.   They are approached
          by the mass media to inform the public, and form core groups such
          as NASA and  the  American  Association  for  the  Advancement of
          Science.  They  control who  is allowed to referee articles to be
          published; they receive  the  government  grants  to  perform new
          research, and  they present  the results of their research in the
          journals which are controlled by  their  peer  groups.   It  is a
          closed system.   There are  always exceptions to the rule, but in
          this case, there are very few.

               Anyone outside the system who dares to contradict  is easily
          labelled  a  non-expert  (commonly  name-calling occurs such as a
          crackpot, pseudoscientist, etc.).  Who is the  man on  the street
          to believe.

               Insiders who  defect can  be singled out and eliminated.  No
          one will offer public support  since  the  same  fate  may befall
          them.

               It  should  not  be  surprising that the axioms of Astronomy
          have remained unaltered over the course of this  century, even in
          spite of  remarkable finds  of recent space probes.  One can only
          anticipate that  future  finds  from  space,  including  those of
          upcoming  comet  fly-bys,  will  yield the unexpected...but watch
          with precognition as the experts will  claim them  to support the
          axioms of Astronomy.

			   END OF QUOTED LETTER

	  Did Immanuel Velikovsky ever have a fair hearing from these people?
	  Get serious.  I'd rather try to sell boiling water in Hell than to
	  try to sell astronomists a right idea, which is what Velikovsky
	  tried to do.

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (08/18/85)

In article <374@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:
>                                       Scientists  are  likely  to discover
>          that,  aside  from  being  correct,  Immanuel Velikovsky with his
>          notion of catastrophic evolution represents the  only chance they
>          have  to  do  anything  other  than spend the rest of their lives
>          coming in last.
.....stuff about suppression in the scientific community......
>	  Did Immanuel Velikovsky ever have a fair hearing from these people?
>	  Get serious.  I'd rather try to sell boiling water in Hell than to
>	  try to sell astronomists a right idea, which is what Velikovsky
>	  tried to do.

Your bits on suppression of ideas are very apt. Velikovsky is, however,
a raving loonie. I hope the scientific community doesn't have to fall
back on him to save themselves in the schools!

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

from _The_Nth_Psalm_ in _The_Book_of_Fred_

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/19/85)

I won't comment on the rest of your article, but the following is pure BS:

>           may later  be viewed  as correct)?  Every gradeschooler has heard
>           how the now heralded  theories  of  Copernicus,  Galileo, Kepler,
>           Newton, and  even Einstein  (as well as countless others in other
>           fields) were met with closed doors by the  seats of  knowledge of
>           their day.

Any gradeschooler who has heard this has heard wrong.

Copernicus and Galileo were rejected by the church, not the scientific
establishment (weak as it may have been in comparison).

Kepler came up with a simpler theory that solved problems the old, epicyclic,
theory couldn't. This is the first I have heard that he was rejected out
of hand.

Newton was a respected scientist and a member of the highest scientific
academy of the day.

Einstein recieved the Nobel Prize for work performed before he discovered
the theories for which he is now famous. The only people who closed their
doors on him were the Nazis who were suspicious of "Jewish Science".

The only person who might fit your description os Gregor Mendel. As it turns
out he actually made up most of his data out of whole cloth... it's no surprise
he remained in obscurity.

What well known unsolved problem does your theory explain... something that
nobody else has come up with a consistant explanation for?
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian werewolf)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter