[net.origins] Those amazing flightless bees

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (08/16/85)

In article <41500005@ur-univax.UUCP> stro@ur-univax.UUCP writes:
>I do not know much about these 250 birds, so perhaps someone can enlighten
>me: How do we know these birds flew, anyway.  Just because they had wings?

A better question is: how do bumble-bees fly? (You know, the big fat ones!)
Last I heard, nobody could "scientifically" explain their aerodynamics. This
is living proof of "catastrophic" evolution!

You see, bumble-bees are piloted by small elves. The elves are magic and can
make them fly at will. The problem is that the elves live off the fumes of
burning leaded gasoline. Here's the clincher: in a few years, all the cars that
burn leaded gas will stop running - so there will BE NO MORE LEADED GAS! This
will, of course, spell death for the elves. The bumble-bees, without their
elven pilots, will drop like flies!

The funny thing is, that a few years after that, some stupid evolutionist is
going to pick one up and say "these bugs died because they were too big to
fly." Just goes to show you...

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

from _The_Nth_Psalm_ in _The_Book_of_Fred_

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/19/85)

> A better question is: how do bumble-bees fly? (You know, the big fat ones!)
> Last I heard, nobody could "scientifically" explain their aerodynamics. This
> is living proof of "catastrophic" evolution!

Actually (lest some creationist or Velikovskian jump upon this) the famous
study that showed bees can't fly was a static analysis of bee aerodynamics
and showed that, yes, if a bee was a glider it couldn't fly.
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian werewolf)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

throopw@rtp47.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (08/20/85)

> A better question is: how do bumble-bees fly? (You know, the big fat ones!)
> Last I heard, nobody could "scientifically" explain their aerodynamics.

Yes, I realize that this posting was a joke, but this raises an
interesting common misconception.  The calculation resulting in the
conclusion "bumble-bees can't fly" was done using aerodynamic equations
and assumptions of a fixed-wing aircraft, engine of power so-and-so,
etc.  The calculation was done as a joke, by some engineers in the 50's.
It was promptly picked up and distorted by the infamous Sunday Science
Supplements of the time, and became instant folklore, an example of
something that science can't explain.

--
"I't a JOKE, son.  I keep throw'n 'em, and you keep miss'n 'em."
                                Foghorn Leghorn

In article <647@mit-vax.UUCP> csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) writes:

>A better question is: how do bumble-bees fly? (You know, the big fat ones!)
>Last I heard, nobody could "scientifically" explain their aerodynamics. This
>is living proof of "catastrophic" evolution!

	Actually, this *has* been figured out. It seems that
Bumblebees, and insects in general, fly on different principles than
birds and airplanes.(Well, mostly - Hummingbirds come close to
Bumblebees in flight dynamics).

>The funny thing is, that a few years after that, some stupid evolutionist is
>going to pick one up and say "these bugs died because they were too big to
>fly." Just goes to show you...

	Exactly! This is exactly my point. In fact Bumblebees are a
good example of poor analysis producing absurd results. Why *couldn't*
a 250 pound bird fly? After all many ton airplanes fly quite well, and
they use much the same principles as most birds.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen