[net.origins] re ignorance

ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) (08/21/85)

Charles Forsyth's latest posting is entitled "IGNORANCE".  I recommend it.
The article lives up to it's title.  Just one point I would like to comment
on.  Charles claims to have stampeded SOMETHING once, he doesn't say what
exactly, probably a herd of mice.   Elephants are intelligent, Charles.  They
are very large and powerful, they have a bad attitude generally, and nobody
with any sense who lives around them messes with them if it is avoidable.
Unlike true herd animals, such as deer and buffaloe, they could not easily
be stampeded over a cliff;  they are far more likely to attack someone
attempting this.   As far as this cliff theory explaining the total
extermination of several breeds of elephants in North America, which was the
original question, the theory, even if it wasn't BS, which it is, still could
not come close.  Elephants were living in too many places WITH NO CLIFFS.

padraig@utastro.UUCP (Padraig Houlahan) (08/23/85)

> Charles Forsyth's latest posting is entitled "IGNORANCE".  I recommend it.
> The article lives up to it's title.  Just one point I would like to comment
> on.  Charles claims to have stampeded SOMETHING once, he doesn't say what
> exactly, probably a herd of mice.   Elephants are intelligent, Charles.  They
> are very large and powerful, they have a bad attitude generally, and nobody
> with any sense who lives around them messes with them if it is avoidable.
> Unlike true herd animals, such as deer and buffaloe, they could not easily
> be stampeded over a cliff;  they are far more likely to attack someone
> attempting this.   As far as this cliff theory explaining the total
> extermination of several breeds of elephants in North America, which was the
> original question, the theory, even if it wasn't BS, which it is, still could
> not come close.  Elephants were living in too many places WITH NO CLIFFS.

I saw a nature program the other day where they were trying to capture
some of these intelligent creatures. The hunters made a circular ditch
around some favorite elephant food. The only way to the food was
across a bridge made of logs. Elephants, being intelligent went across
and got the food. In the meantime however the bridge was removed. The ditch
was only about two feet deep but elephants won't walk where they can't
touch with their trunks, and hence were trapped. The hunters could
then do as they pleased, when they pleased, to these very large, powerful
animals that have a bad attitude generally.

I suppose this is a case of "if the elephants won't go to the cliffs,
bring the cliffs to the elephants"!

Padraig Houlahan.

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (08/24/85)

In article <378@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:
>Charles Forsyth's latest posting is entitled "IGNORANCE".  I recommend it.

I'm glad you identified with it, Ted.

>Charles claims to have stampeded SOMETHING once, he doesn't say what
>exactly, probably a herd of mice.

Oh ha ha ha! It was cattle, Ted. You may have seen some on TV.

>Elephants are intelligent, Charles.

What does that make you?

Your comments on the Indians were what I was really adressing at the
beginning. You haven't responded to those, Ted. Haven't enough westerns
been aired on your favorite UHF station to fully answer my questions yet?

When you said "the Indians considered the animals as their brothers" I
laughed so hard I nearly fell out of my seat! Which Indians? There were
an awful lot of them. There were even different TRIBES. (Imagine that, just
like the Hebrews who were brought into existance 6000 years ago!)

You are getting more humorous Ted, quote some more Velitrovsky.

"Shopping malls were created because the race-memory of man expected another
flood, thus they wanted to put their stores in centralized, weather-proof
locations...."

hahahahaha.

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

from _The_Nth_Psalm_ in _The_Book_of_Fred_

pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (pam pincha) (08/27/85)

In article <378@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:
>Elephants were living in too many places WITH NO CLIFFS.
The problem was that the herds were dying out at the time
due to a drastic change in their environment. With a decreasing
population, enviromental changes and such, Man just hastened
their demise by tipping the scales more towards extinction
than adaptation and survival!

I repeat -- MAN DID NOT HAVE TO KILL OFF ALL THE HERDS TO
CONTRIBUTE TO THE EXTINCTIONS! All he had to do was kill off
enough to lower the critical mass for species survival
beyond what it could rebound from with out help. Nature did
the rest!
			P.M.Pincha-Wagener
			(bcsaic!pamp)
(usual disclaimer)