[net.origins] more on large animals and gravity

ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) (08/26/85)

               Amongst the  reasons I  could think  of for believing in the
          Velikovskian notion of catastrophism, there are  a host  of minor
          reasons, and  what I would consider to be two major reasons.  The
          minor reasons are convincing.  They include:

          1.   Velikovsky's  explaination  of  the  360  day  calendars  of
               virtually all  antique nations, an enigma which most history
               books choose to ignore.

          2.   Velikovsky's  explaination   of  the   origin  of  petroleum
               formations.

          3.   The theory  of catastrophic  evolution, the  only version of
               evolution which makes sense.

          4.   Velikovsky's correct prediction in 1950 of  the surface heat
               of  Venus  and  of  it's  hydrocarbon  atmosphere as natural
               fallouts  of  his  theory  of  the  origin  of  Venus.   The
               "super-greenhouse"  theory  which  is  currently  in  use to
               explain Venus'  heat  is  the  single  worst  example  of an
               after-the-fact  ad-hoc  theory  which  I  am  aware of.  The
               theory's creation  was  an  example  of  what  I  would call
               dishonorable  behavior  on  the  part  of astronomists.  The
               theory exists for no other reason  than to  prevent Immanuel
               Velikovsky from  claiming credit  which is  rightly his.  My
               own distrust of the  natural  sciences  and  their journals,
               particularly astronomy, stems from such reasons.

          5.   The very elegant explanations for so much of what we read in
               ancient literature which Velikovsky's theories provide.

               The two things which I regard as major reasons for believing
          in catastrophism include the enigma of the large animals, which I
          and several other writers have been beating to  death on  the net
          for the  last 4  weeks, and  one other.   I wish to get into this
          second major reason reason for catastrophism beginning next week,
          and will  therefore make  this my last article for a while on the
          topic of large animals.

               I claim that  the  existence  of  creatures  whose  size and
          weight  would  prevent  them  from  functioning  in  our world is
          compelling evidence that the FELT EFFECT of the  force of gravity
          was  considerably  less  in  ancient  times than it is now.  This
          works  in  favor  of  catastrophists  such  as  Velikovsky, David
          Talbott,   Leroy   Ellenberger   et   al  who  have  a  plausible
          explaination for all of  this.  Traditional  science has  no such
          explanation.

               The  laws   governing  gravity  have  never  changed  to  my
          knowledge.  But the FELT EFFECT of gravity changes for any number
          of reasons,  including the  fact that  you might  be swimming, or
          standing right under the moon etc.   The explanations  for lesser
          gravity in  the ancient  world are of this sort.  Copies of David
          Talbott's "The Saturn Myth" Doubleday 1980  are still  around and
          give a good account of some of this.

               Scientists studying dinosaurs around the turn of the century
          concluded that  the big  sauropods lived  in water.  Calculations
          they did  showed that  their legs  would not support them on land
          and that water  bouyancy  would  have  been  their  only possible
          hope.  Two observations:

               1.   Those who  made these  calculations were not relying on
                    any immature or incomplete body of knowledge as regards
                    engineering or  math.  The  Brooklyn bridge had already
                    been built by then and  the  first  really  large steel
                    warships were being built.

               2.   The calculations  were based  on the Brontosaur and his
                    near cousins, the largest sauropods known  THEN.  These
                    calculations hold  DOUBLE for more recent finds such as
                    the ULTRASAUR, which could nearly swallow a brontosaur,
                    and  TRIPLE  for  the BREVIPAROPUS, which could swallow
                    BOTH of them.  Books describe the ultrasuar as 100 feet
                    long and likely as heavy as a blue whale.  Breviparopus
                    was 160 feet  long,  likely  far  heavier  than  a blue
                    whale.   One   such  creature  would  make  the  entire
                    defensive unit of a  football  team;    since  he could
                    cover the field from sideline to sideline with ten feet
                    to spare, the opponents would never score.

               But there  was  a  problem  with  these  calculations.  They
          ignore the  fact that  sauropods show  no adaptation  for life in
          water.  They would need  huge  flat  feet  to  keep  from sinking
          hopelessly in  the mud  on river bottoms;  They didn't have them.
          But  scientists  tended  to  ignore  these  facts  and  books  on
          dinosaurs described sauropods as living in rivers.

               The only way out of the enigma, the only logical way to have
          sauropods  live  on  land  and  yet  not  be crushed by their own
          weight, is to believe that the effect of gravity was less in what
          I term  the archaic world, the world prior to the flood.  This is
          what you would  expect,  having  understood  what  Velikovsky and
          Talbott  have  to  say  about  the  Saturnian age.  It solves the
          problem  of  the  sauropods  rather  elegantly,  as  well  as the
          problem of  the pterosaurs and pteratorns etc.  These giant birds
          obviously could  not fly  in our  world, yet  they were obviously
          made for  flying.  It is impossible to picture them having earned
          their living by any means that did NOT involve flight.

               Stanley Friesen,  in   a recent   article  on   net.origins,
          denies the entire proposition.  He writes:

>>     Every book on
>>     dinosaurs  I  have  read  mentions  the  problem of
>>     weight   for   these   animals;   most  state  that
>>     brontosaurs lived in water even though their bodies
>>     show  no  adaptation  for  an  aquatic life, simply
>>     because rudimentary calculations showed  that their
>>     legs would  not support  them on land.

>Well, you have not been reading very recent work on this.
>Those "calculations" were *very* rudimentary, so rudimentary I would
>call them guesses rather than calculations. *Real* calcualtions
>have shown that even the largest "brontosaur" had plenty of *extra*
>support capacity in thier legs! They would have had no more trouble on
>dry land than an Elephant. This has been accepted for quite a number
>of years now by the scientific community. In fact the lack of aquatic
>adaptions in these animals is now held to be conclusive proof that
>they were *not* aquatic.

>>     The problem
>>     for large birds is more appalling.  I have actually
>>     seen   books   which   state  that  pterosaurs  and
>>     pteratorns climbed  up  mountains  and  then glided
>>     down again,  a hell of a hard way to have to make a
>>     living.  The authors  were  admitting  that  200 lb
>>     birds can't  fly in  our world.

>Same problem again, these guesses(or assumptions)
>have been amply dispelled by valid calculations. The larger
>Pterosaurs have in fact been shown to have a better lift ratio
>than any airplane. The stall speed of Pteranodon was about 5 mph
>(and that is *air speed* not ground speed). Such an organism
>could take off just by facing into the wind!(I believe this was
>in a recent issue of one of the Linnean Society jornals).
>The pteratorn is prabably a similar case of jumping to a conclusion
>before making proper calculations! I see no reason why it could not
>fly!

>And I wasn't going to get involve in the Velikovsky debate!
>I just couldn't let such gross mis-statements pass without comment.

          RIGHT.  I admire a man with a sense of humor.  This was enough to
          send me  back  to  the  Rockville  library  where,  amongst other
          things, I learned about the breviparopus.

               I went  back to  the library and spent several hours looking
          at the more recent  dinosaur books.   Basically, the  newer books
          indicate  that  scientists  have  decided that sauropods lived on
          land, based upon the aforesaid lack of aquatic structures as well
          as evidence  from newer sauropod tracks.  There was no mention of
          anyone doing  calculations showing  that sauropods  could move on
          land.  Like  I said, the basic principles of engineering have not
          changed since the late 1800s.

               What this amounts to is not really good science so much as a
          case of  scientists changing  their minds  as to what constitutes
          the lesser of  two  evils.   Apparently,  they  would  now rather
          believe that  sauropods lived  on land  and ignore the problem of
          weight, rather  than assume  they lived  in water  and ignore the
          problem of  structure.  The  notion of lesser gravity has not yet
          occurred to them.

               The Avon Field Guide to Dinosaurs, 1983, says:

               "Experts used to think that these dinosaur giants had almost
               always wallowed  in the water.  Scientists argued that their
               legs could not have borne their massive weight  unless water
               boueyed up  their ponderous bodies.  They thought only water
               plants would have been  soft enough  for sauropods' cropping
               teeth to  tackle.  They believed, too, that the sauropods on
               land would have  been  at  the  mercy  of  the  large fanged
               carnosaurs.   All   these  notions   now  stand  challenged.
               Studies show that sauropods were better built for walking on
               dry land than feeding in deep water......"

          Edwin  Colbert's  "Dinosaurs,  an  Illustrated History", Hammond,
          1983, states:

               "In fact, some of the earlier authorities   thought that the
               giant sauropods were too large to support their great weight
               on the land, that  they of  necessity had  to stay  in water
               deep enough  to float the body.  The sauropod trackways from
               Texas, especially  a dramatic  sequence found  at Glen Rose,
               point up the fallacy of this argument."

               No mention  of any precise math formulations in either these
          two or any of the other  books  I  found.   The  enigma  is still
          there.  Both  describe the many problems of weight for dinosaurs.
          The Avon Field Guide states that:

               "The largest carnosaurs may  have managed  nore more  than a
               rapid rolling  walk, using powerful muscles to keep the tail
               held stiffly off the ground, so balancing the  mighty torso,
               short, thick  neck, and  big, deep head..... As time passed,
               larger kinds  of carnosaurs  replaced the  early types.  The
               smaller, more  active ones  could have attacked plant eaters
               at least as big as camptosaurids.  The largest were probably
               too slow  and clumsy  to kill, and fed on corpses - behaving
               more like jackels than like lions.

               So the best modern science can do for the mighty tyrannosaur
          is to  make a  jackel out  of him.  It's almost too funny to deal
          with.

               I have news for  Stanley Friesen,  the editors  at Avon, and
          anyone else  interested in  dinosaurs.  Nothing  makes it in this
          world by  wallowing,  shuffling,  floundering,  hobbling, gliding
          without being  able to  flap your  wings and  FLY when needed, or
          flying at 5 mph.  The tyrannosaur himself would have been an easy
          target for  smaller carnosaurs  or wolves if his best was as Avon
          described.  Likewise, the pteratorn  had to  catch prey  to live.
          Try catching  a deer or rabbit sometime with your governor set at
          5 miles per hour.  Likewise, the picture science gives us  of the
          pterasaurs  is  basically  ludicrous.   You get this picture of a
          giant flying reptile, making it's home in cliffs, using its 5 mph
          stall speed  to spread  its wings  into the wind and take off and
          soar.  The problem with  all  this?   It's  wouldn't  be  able to
          capture airborne  prey at  5mph;   it would  have to  have been a
          prehistoric vulture.  But you don't find many dead animals in the
          cliffs.  It would have had to descend to the valleys and lowlands
          to find dead animals, land, eat them (and presumably gain several
          pounds in  the process), and then what?  Especially on a windless
          day (I still need to eat on windless days, and I am  assuming the
          pterosaurs did).  Remember, albatrosses today can barely take off
          at thirty pounds.  The pterosaur's only hope in life was Immanuel
          Velikovsky and  David Talbott's  theory regarding lesser gravity.
          Pterosaurs probably wore Velikovsky tee-shirts.

               Likewise, gravity  being what  it is  today, nothing evolves
          into  a  state  in  which  it  can  only waddle, shuffle, hobble,
          flounder, or glide with no  possibility  of  powered  flight when
          needed.   Simple  Darwinian  principles  prevent  that.  Anything
          tending in that direction perishes long before it  could think in
          terms of new species.  Hence, the largest animals we have are our
          present elephants.  If the  force of  gravity were  to be  cut in
          half  tommorrow,  it  would  likely  be less than a hundred years
          before we had  mammoth  and  megalotherium  sized  animals again.
          Normal evolution  as it proceeds now can account for fairly large
          differences in size WITHIN a species in a few generations.

               Finally, we  come to  the problem  of the  extinction of all
          such large  animals, with  the lonely exceptions of the elephant,
          rhino, and  giraffe.   Catastrophists  make  the  totally logical
          claim  that   large  animals   were  particularly  vulnerable  to
          extermination during  catastrophies,  having  the  most difficult
          time getting  to high  ground or  cover, and that left-over large
          dinosaurs  and  mega-mammals  died  when  the  effect  of gravity
          changed after the flood, making the world no longer habitable for
          them.  Louis Ginzberg's "Legends of the Jews", citing  sources of
          rabbinical  literature  which  go  back two thousand years before
          Christ, actually describes the  last  days  of  several  of these
          leftover  large  dinosaurs.   The  notion that dinosaurs died out
          millions of years  ago  is  one  of  the  fairy  tales  of modern
          science.

               Consider  that  no  instance  is  known of an entire species
          being exterminated from a  major  continent  in  recorded history
          other than at the hand of man, and that only recently, within the
          last  several  hundred  years.   Ancient  man   had  neither  the
          capability  nor  the  inclination  for  such  feats.  Most of the
          cases of species extermination which  science  books  like  to go
          over occured on islands.

               The  notion  that  humans  exterminated  most of the world's
          mega-fauna  is  idiotic  and  worthy  of  ridicule.   An imperial
          elephant stood  four or  five feet  taller at  the shoulders than
          modern African  elephants.   The  same  would-be  stampede artist
          which an  African elephant would stomp pancake flat, the imperial
          elephant would stomp microscopically  fine.   Capturing  a single
          rhinosceros with trucks and heavy equipment is dangerous work and
          often ends up with overturned trucks  and broken  bones.  Picture
          ancient man  exterminating EVERY  SINGLE ONE  of the double-sized
          super-rhinos or megalotheriums on  this  planet  with  knives and
          spears.  That  is what  Bill Jefferys,  Stan Friesen  et al would
          have  us  believe  happened.   Also  every  single  one   of  the
          super-bisons,  giant  cave  bears,  mammoths, mastodons, imperial
          elephants, and on and on.  All  with knives  and spears.   Forget
          stampeding these  creatures over  cliffs;   most of them lived in
          areas WITHOUT cliffs.  Those who would  have us  believe that man
          exterminated   all   these   creatures  must  account  for  their
          extinction in areas like our great  plains and  the great Russian
          and  Siberian  steppes  where  you  can  travel  for  DEGREES  OF
          LATTITUDE AND LONGITUDE, and  never see  a cliff.   The notion of
          humans actually  doing all  of this  is an example of what Hitler
          would have called the BIG LIE.  Hitler was a desperate  man;  any
          scientific theory  which ends  up having to rely on such a notion
          is, likewise, desperate.

               But you readers will have to judge between  my rationale for
          extinction  and  that  of  Jefferys,  Friesen et al based on what
          has already transpired on the net.  Like I  say, to  me the point
          seems obvious  and not  really worthy  of any  further debate and
          I've got a new topic for next week.

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (08/27/85)

It's time for another episode of "Ted Holden -- Argumentum Ad Hominem!":

>          1.   Velikovsky's  explanation  of  the  360  day  calendars  of
>               virtually all  antique nations, an enigma which most history
>               books choose to ignore.

Except for the ones that discuss astrology. 12 x 3 x 10 = 360. This is
significant. I'd be willing to post references. Maybe there will be a TV
show about it.

>          2.   Velikovsky's  explanation   of  the   origin  of  petroleum
>               formations.

Which could be no more valid than the current, reasonable explanation.

>          3.   The theory  of catastrophic  evolution, the  only version of
>               evolution which makes sense.

This argument holds a lot of weight, I must admit... but I'm still a
little doubtful.

>          4.   Velikovsky's correct prediction in 1950 of  the surface heat
>               of  Venus  and  of  it's  hydrocarbon  atmosphere as natural
>               fallouts  of  his  theory  of  the  origin  of  Venus.   The
>               "super-greenhouse"  theory  which  is  currently  in  use to
>               explain Venus'  heat  is  the  single  worst  example  of an
>               after-the-fact  ad-hoc  theory  which  I  am  aware of.  The
>               theory's creation  was  an  example  of  what  I  would call
>               dishonorable  behavior  on  the  part  of astronomists.  The
>               theory exists for no other reason  than to  prevent Immanuel
>               Velikovsky from  claiming credit  which is  rightly his.  My
>               own distrust of the  natural  sciences  and  their journals,
>               particularly astronomy, stems from such reasons.

Temper, temper, Ted. What if I.V. had said Venus was a frozen ball of
ice? If I predict that we won't have a nuclear war in the 20th century,
and we don't, does that mean anything? If we do, you won't be around to
tell me I was wrong...

>          5.   The very elegant explanations for so much of what we read in
>               ancient literature which Velikovsky's theories provide.

The explanations, I must admit, are fascinating. As far as believing
them, I'd rather stick with what various cultures had to say about their
own literature. When the Egyptians said,"Ra is the sun god, a circle
with a dot in it is his symbol," I'm a little more willing to believe
them than Velikovsky. Velikovsky isn't even an Egyptian name!

>               Scientists studying dinosaurs around the turn of the century...

Scientist studying physics at the turn of the century concluded that
light was a wave and traveled in a medium known as "the ether".
Experiments showed that this was wrong, so they came up with a better
theory that's held up really well since then. That's what makes them
scientists.

Anyway....
>       ...concluded that  the big  sauropods lived  in water.  Calculations
>          they did  showed that  their legs  would not support them on land
>          and that water  bouyancy  would  have  been  their  only possible
>          hope.  Two observations:
>
>               1.   Those who  made these  calculations were not relying on
>                    any immature or incomplete body of knowledge as regards
>                    engineering or  math.  The  Brooklyn bridge had already
>                    been built by then and  the  first  really  large steel
>                    warships were being built.

Dinosaurs were not made of steel. Here's an interesting engineering
tidbit:

My dorm at MIT, which was built when these calculations were made, was
one of the first steel-reinforced concrete structures ever built. They
really didn't have any idea how strong steel-reinforced concrete was, so
while the new dorms are as flimsy as kleenex, my dorm could legally be
rated as a parking garage under Cambridge building codes.

Now... you were saying about engineering...

>          Like  I said, the basic principles of engineering have not
>          changed since the late 1800s.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. May I ask a personal question? Do you have any
kind of degree (a high school diploma don't count!)?

>               at least as big as camptosaurids.  The largest were probably
>               too slow  and clumsy  to kill, and fed on corpses - behaving
>               more like jackels than like lions.
>
>               So the best modern science can do for the mighty tyrannosaur
>          is to  make a  jackel out  of him.  It's almost too funny to deal
>          with.

As are you. What makes you think a tyranasaur was any different that the
way they describe? There is no evidence that it was a hunter. There are
many kinds of animals behaviors that must be seen to be realized. The
fact is that if a tyranasaur moved any fast that say, 2 MPH, it would
break it's legs.

>               I have news for  Stanley Friesen,  the editors  at Avon, and
>          anyone else  interested in  dinosaurs.  Nothing  makes it in this
>          world by  wallowing,  shuffling,  floundering,  hobbling, gliding
>          without being  able to  flap your  wings and  FLY when needed, or
>          flying at 5 mph.

That's not news to anyone, or have you not noticed the incredible LACK
of dinosaurs in the world. (The ones you saw on TV last night were
FICTIONAL, Ted, it was ONLY A MOVIE).

>          Likewise, the pteratorn  had to  catch prey  to live.

Why do you say things like this? Proof? References?

>          The problem with  all  this?   It's  wouldn't  be  able to
>          capture airborne  prey at  5mph;

There are very few flying creatures that catch airborne prey. What makes
you think that this beastie did?

>          Pterosaurs probably wore Velikovsky tee-shirts.

As well as many other creatures with brains the size of pinheads.

>               The  notion  that  humans  exterminated  most of the world's
>          mega-fauna  is  idiotic  and  worthy  of  ridicule.

Yeah, it doesn't account for the fact that the dinosaurs pre-dated
humans by a million years or so.

>          I've got a new topic for next week.

I can't wait!

(Tee hee.)

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

from _The_Nth_Psalm_ in _The_Book_of_Fred_

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (08/27/85)

In article <382@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:
>      I went  back to  the library and spent several hours looking
> at the more recent  dinosaur books...  The Avon Field Guide to Dinosaurs,
> 1983...  Edwin  Colbert's  "Dinosaurs,  an  Illustrated History", Hammond,
> 1983...  No mention  of any precise math formulations in either these
> two or any of the other  books  I  found.

Your ideas of proper library work are as ludicrous as your ignorance of
biology and Velikovski's ignorance of physics.  Do you really expect to
find calculations of loading of dinosaur legs in popular works?  These
aren't even college textbooks, let alone research papers where this
information would originally have been published.

>      I have news for  Stanley Friesen,  the editors  at Avon, and
> anyone else  interested in  dinosaurs.  Nothing  makes it in this
> world by  wallowing,  shuffling,  floundering,  hobbling, gliding
> without being  able to  flap your  wings and  FLY when needed, or
> flying at 5 mph.

Evidently you know very little about the life still extant on our planet.
Nor do you seem hesitant to misrepresent other's arguments.

> Likewise, the pteratorn  had to  catch prey  to live.
> Try catching  a deer or rabbit sometime with your governor set at
> 5 miles per hour.  Likewise, the picture science gives us  of the
> pterasaurs  is  basically  ludicrous.   You get this picture of a
> giant flying reptile, making it's home in cliffs, using its 5 mph
> stall speed  to spread  its wings  into the wind and take off and
> soar.  The problem with  all  this?   It's  wouldn't  be  able to
> capture airborne  prey at  5mph;   it would  have to  have been a
> prehistoric vulture.  But you don't find many dead animals in the
> cliffs.  It would have had to descend to the valleys and lowlands
> to find dead animals, land, eat them (and presumably gain several
> pounds in  the process), and then what?  Especially on a windless
> day (I still need to eat on windless days, and I am  assuming the
> pterosaurs did).  Remember, albatrosses today can barely take off
> at thirty pounds.  The pterosaur's only hope in life was Immanuel
> Velikovsky and  David Talbott's  theory regarding lesser gravity.

I can't count the fallacies in this argument.  A stall speed of 5 mph is
not like a governor.  The prey need not have been airborne: they may have
been fish-eaters like ospreys and some eagles, owls, and bats, in which
case they likely would not have landed.  In many areas, winds are regular
and predictable.  I'm sure you wouldn't starve despite an occaisional
windless day.

>      Likewise, gravity  being what  it is  today, nothing evolves
> into  a  state  in  which  it  can  only waddle, shuffle, hobble,
> flounder, or glide with no  possibility  of  powered  flight when
> needed.   Simple  Darwinian  principles  prevent  that.  Anything
> tending in that direction perishes long before it  could think in
> terms of new species.

Apparently you've never heard of tortoises.  Or flying squirrels, phalangers,
snakes, frogs, and lizards.  Or flightless parrots.  Or kiwis.  Or a zillion
other extant examples.

>                Consider  that  no  instance  is  known of an entire species
>           being exterminated from a  major  continent  in  recorded history
>           other than at the hand of man, and that only recently, within the
>           last  several  hundred  years.   Ancient  man   had  neither  the
>           capability  nor  the  inclination  for  such  feats.  Most of the
>           cases of species extermination which  science  books  like  to go
>           over occured on islands.

If ancient man could exterminate species on islands, why not on continents?
Take for example the moas of New Zealand.  They were huge, yet exterminated
by the aborigines with stone-age weapons before the Europeans arrived.  Nor
is New Zealand small.

If species have been exterminated from continents by the hand of man in
recorded history (such as the auroch, long before guns), then why not
during prehistory?
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (08/29/85)

In article <382@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:
>                      Likewise, the pteratorn  had to  catch prey  to live.
>          Try catching  a deer or rabbit sometime with your governor set at
>          5 miles per hour.  Likewise, the picture science gives us  of the
>          pterasaurs  is  basically  ludicrous.   You get this picture of a
>          giant flying reptile, making it's home in cliffs, using its 5 mph
>          stall speed  to spread  its wings  into the wind and take off and
>          soar.  The problem with  all  this?   It's  wouldn't  be  able to
>          capture airborne  prey at  5mph;   it would  have to  have been a
>          prehistoric vulture.

You have a basic misunderstanding here.  The stall speed of a bird (or
an airplane) is not its maximum speed.  It's the speed at which the
bird is moving too slowly to fly -- basically its wings can't produce
enough lift below stall speed.  Both birds and airplanes are safest
when they're moving at well above their stall speeds.

The only reason I got involved in this argument in the first place was
that I was amused that the boring ground school stuff I took with my
flying lessons had such an unexpected use as arguing in net.origins.

--
David Canzi

This has been a test of the emergency broadcasting sytem.  It was only a test.
Repeat: only a test.  If this had been a real emergency, you would be dead.

In article <382@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:

>               Scientists studying dinosaurs around the turn of the century
>          concluded that  the big  sauropods lived  in water.  Calculations
>          they did  showed that  their legs  would not support them on land
>          and that water  bouyancy  would  have  been  their  only possible
>          hope.  Two observations:
>
>               1.   Those who  made these  calculations were not relying on
>                    any immature or incomplete body of knowledge as regards
>                    engineering or  math.  The  Brooklyn bridge had already
>                    been built by then and  the  first  really  large steel
>                    warships were being built.

	The basic fallacy in these calculations, as I understand them,
were failure to properly account for the bulk properties of bone, and
for the effects of the internal structure of bone. In short, an
analysis based on the physics of steel girders will not work for the
different reactive properties of bone.

>          RIGHT.  I admire a man with a sense of humor.  This was enough to
>          send me  back  to  the  Rockville  library  where,  amongst other
>          things, I learned about the breviparopus.
>
>               I went  back to  the library and spent several hours looking
>          at the more recent  dinosaur books.   Basically, the  newer books
>          indicate  that  scientists  have  decided that sauropods lived on
>          land, based upon the aforesaid lack of aquatic structures as well
>          as evidence  from newer sauropod tracks.  There was no mention of
>          anyone doing  calculations showing  that sauropods  could move on
>          land.  Like  I said, the basic principles of engineering have not
>          changed since the late 1800s....
>               No mention  of any precise math formulations in either these
>          two or any of the other  books  I  found.   The  enigma  is still
>          there.  Both  describe the many problems of weight for dinosaurs.

	Well, it sounds as if you are reading "popular" books, which
quite naturally leave out a lot of detail. The correct place to find
out about these things is in *journals* where the truely detailed
analyses can be found. If I can get to UCLA this weekend I will try to
find at least a few of the references I have mentioned.

>          The Avon Field Guide states that:
>
>               "The largest carnosaurs may  have managed  nore more  than a
>               rapid rolling  walk, using powerful muscles to keep the tail
>               held stiffly off the ground, so balancing the  mighty torso,
>               short, thick  neck, and  big, deep head....

>               So the best modern science can do for the mighty tyrannosaur
>          is to  make a  jackel out  of him.  It's almost too funny to deal
>          with.

	I agree, if this analysis is correct it is quite absurd! But
many(perhaps most) palaeontologists disagree with this analysis.
Another journal article I read recently covered dinosaur gaits, and
it came to a quite different conclusion.  Or you might try the
"popular" book "Warm-blooded Dinosaurs", it is better than most, and
gives more in the way of calculations.

>               I have news for  Stanley Friesen,  the editors  at Avon, and
>          anyone else  interested in  dinosaurs.  Nothing  makes it in this
>          world by  wallowing,  shuffling,  floundering,  hobbling, gliding
>          without being  able to  flap your  wings and  FLY when needed, or
>          flying at 5 mph.
>          ...  Likewise, the pteratorn  had to  catch prey  to live.
>          Try catching  a deer or rabbit sometime with your governor set at
>          5 miles per hour.  Likewise, the picture science gives us  of the
>          pterasaurs  is  basically  ludicrous.   You get this picture of a
>          giant flying reptile, making it's home in cliffs, using its 5 mph
>          stall speed  to spread  its wings  into the wind and take off and
>          soar.  The problem with  all  this?   It's  wouldn't  be  able to
>          capture airborne  prey at  5mph;

	You do not seem to understand the significance of stall speed,
it is the *minimum* speed at which something can fly, not the maximum.
The optimal flying speed for Pteranodon(the genus for which the
calculations were done) was more like 30mph. The reason the low stall
speed is so important is that its wings were so large relative to its
body that it couldn't have flapped them while on the ground, so it
needed pre-existing wind speed to take off. It *didn't* need cliffs,
that was the assumption when we thougth it took more than 5mph to take
off.  This animal was in fact predominantly a glider, very similar in
build and proportion to am Albatros. It seems to have been a sort of
cross between an Albatross and a Pelican, catching fish by scooping
them out of the water with its large beak. If you have ever watched
them, fishing Pelicans do not even fly 30 mph!
	As far as other types of Pterosaurs are concerned, most of
them are quite small, and have more normally proportioned wings, so
there is no problem about *them* flying.

--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (08/29/85)

In article <382@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:
>               Amongst the  reasons I  could think  of for believing in the
>          Velikovskian notion of catastrophism, there are  a host  of minor
>          reasons, and  what I would consider to be two major reasons.  The
>          minor reasons are convincing.  They include:
>
>          1.   Velikovsky's  explaination  of  the  360  day  calendars  of
>               virtually all  antique nations, an enigma which most history
>               books choose to ignore.

This one I'm a little unsure of, but I do know that some of the "antique"
nations had an "unofficial" week thrown in for religious purposes.
Sorta like the week between Xmas and New Years.

>          2.   Velikovsky's  explaination   of  the   origin  of  petroleum
>               formations.

HCN + CH4 + other similer SIMPLE hydrocarbons => long chain crude molecules?
In only a couple of thousand years? No way.  It's simpler (and more in
keeping with entropy) to assume the break-down of biological molecules to
Petroleum-type molecules, than the other way around.  Besides, according
to the "scientific" theory, there's lots more time for it to occur.

[ I'll get to point 3 (catastrophic evolution) in a moment. ]

>          4.   Velikovsky's correct prediction in 1950 of  the surface heat
>               of  Venus  and  of  it's  hydrocarbon  atmosphere as natural
>               fallouts  of  his  theory  of  the  origin  of  Venus.   The
>               "super-greenhouse"  theory  which  is  currently  in  use to
>               explain Venus'  heat  is  the  single  worst  example  of an
>               after-the-fact  ad-hoc  theory  which  I  am  aware of.

It's the only one that explains the facts.  Get it straight: Venus's
atmosphere is primarily CO2 and H2S04!  (neither of which is a hydrocarbon).

>          5.   The very elegant explanations for so much of what we read in
>               ancient literature which Velikovsky's theories provide.

Certainly very elegant - he set out to INVENT a solution to "what we read
in ancient literature".  No wonder he succeeded.

>               The two things which I regard as major reasons for believing
>          in catastrophism include the enigma of the large animals, which I
>               The  laws   governing  gravity  have  never  changed  to  my
>          knowledge.  But the FELT EFFECT of gravity changes for any number
>          of reasons,  including the  fact that  you might  be swimming, or
>          standing right under the moon etc.

The first contradicts yourself (sorta).

The second is silly.  For the moon to have any noticable effect on
gravity, it would have to be REALLY close.  How close I'm not sure (not
knowing how to calculate, or by how much the gravity was different), but
consider two possibilities:

	1) The moon was at geostationary orbit (22k miles? (or Km, can't
	   remember)):
		- Then only animals on ONE side of the earth would be big.
		- The oceans would be mounded QUITE HIGH on the "moon" side.
		- The other side would be dry.
	   NONE of these are supportable by the fossil or geological
	   evidence.
	2) The moon wasn't at geostationary orbit:
		- Tides would be ENORMOUS.
		  Kinda precludes any dry-land life near the ocean.
		- Gravity would be less for half the "day" (presuming
		  the days were approx the same length - that's what IV
		  says), and HIGHER for the other half.
		  I don't think that even catastrophic evolution would support
		  reversal modifications on a daily basis.
		- Earthquake activity would be so high as to probably
		  eliminate ALL dry-land life.

Same goes for the near miss of Venus.

>               Scientists studying dinosaurs around the turn of the century
>          concluded that  the big  sauropods lived  in water.  Calculations
>          they did  showed that  their legs  would not support them on land
>          and that water  bouyancy  would  have  been  their  only possible
>          hope.  Two observations:
>
>               1.   Those who  made these  calculations were not relying on
>                    any immature or incomplete body of knowledge as regards
>                    engineering or  math.  The  Brooklyn bridge had already
>                    been built by then and  the  first  really  large steel
>                    warships were being built.

Yeah, and the Verranzo Narrows bridge collapsed due to an incomplete
understanding of aerodynamics and resonance.  Even more modern bridges and
structures are collapsing.

>               2.   The calculations  were based  on the Brontosaur and his
>                    near cousins, the largest sauropods known  THEN.  These

I suspect very strongly that if some scientists decided to take the time
to bother with the calculations, they would probably come up with an
explanation.  Just like with bees not being able to fly - the oft-quoted
calculations assumed that a bee was a glider!

>               I have news for  Stanley Friesen,  the editors  at Avon, and
>          anyone else  interested in  dinosaurs.  Nothing  makes it in this
>          world by  wallowing,  shuffling,  floundering,  hobbling, gliding
>          without being  able to  flap your  wings and  FLY when needed, or
>          flying at 5 mph.

Lots make it in this world with such handicaps:
	1) The flying squirrel doesn't fly - it glides.  A pteratorn would
	   be better at it.
	2) The various sorts of Sloths can hardly be said to be able
	   to go as fast as a flounder.
	3) Plants don't move around much either!

>          ...  Likewise, the pteratorn  had to  catch prey  to live.
>          Try catching  a deer or rabbit sometime with your governor set at
>          5 miles per hour.

He didn't say that that was the MAXIMUM speed, he said that was the STALL
speed (the MINIMUM speed).  That's a better stall speed than ANY modern
aircraft!  And it's maximum speed is likely to be a LOT higher.  With
all that weight it could be over a 100mph.  Peregrine falcons find that
perfectly satisfactory as a dive speed thank you!

>	Likewise, the picture science gives us  of the
>          pterasaurs  is  basically  ludicrous.   You get this picture of a
>          giant flying reptile, making it's home in cliffs, using its 5 mph
>          stall speed  to spread  its wings  into the wind and take off and
>          soar.  The problem with  all  this?   It's  wouldn't  be  able to
>          capture airborne  prey at  5mph;   it would  have to  have been a
>          prehistoric vulture.  But you don't find many dead animals in the
>          cliffs.

See above.  Maybe all those dead animals pushed off of the cliffs by
prehistoric man were there?  :-)  Besides, who said that the Pterasaur
ate air-borne prey?  Something that large probably didn't!  5 Mph is fast
enough to catch some ground prey.

>	   It would have had to descend to the valleys and lowlands
>          to find dead animals, land, eat them (and presumably gain several
>          pounds in  the process), and then what?  Especially on a windless
>          day (I still need to eat on windless days, and I am  assuming the
>          pterosaurs did).

Not necessarily.  Some snakes only eat once a month.  The big birds
of prey don't hunt every day either.  On a windless hot day even that vulture
the Bald Eagle doesn't fly.

>               Consider  that  no  instance  is  known of an entire species
>          being exterminated from a  major  continent  in  recorded history
>          other than at the hand of man, and that only recently, within the
>          last  several  hundred  years.   Ancient  man   had  neither  the
>          capability  nor  the  inclination  for  such  feats.  Most of the
>          cases of species extermination which  science  books  like  to go
>          over occured on islands.

Recorded history is ONLY 6,000 years!  We're talking about hundreds of
millions.  Science already has verified quite a few more plausible
catastrophies (eg: the ice ages, large cometary/meteoric impacts,
major volcanic activity (Krakatoa was peanuts compared to Thera, Thera
was peanuts compared to what happened in the Yellowstone activity
zone 600 million years ago - and the latter's due to blow again NOW -
give or take a few million years) that would have dramatic effect on
survivability of species.  They don't to go to something so ludicrous
as Velikovsky's theories which, amongst other things, won't stand up
to the math.

>               The  notion  that  humans  exterminated  most of the world's
>          mega-fauna  is  idiotic  and  worthy  of  ridicule.

I agree.  But Velikovsky's theories are even MORE idiotic.
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (08/30/85)

In article <1905@mnetor.UUCP> clewis@mnetor.UUCP (myself) writes:

>	1) The moon was at geostationary orbit (22k miles? (or Km, can't
>	   remember)):
>		- Then only animals on ONE side of the earth would be big.
>		- The oceans would be mounded QUITE HIGH on the "moon" side.
>		- The other side would be dry.
>	   NONE of these are supportable by the fossil or geological
>	   evidence.
>	2) The moon wasn't at geostationary orbit:
>		- Tides would be ENORMOUS.
>		  Kinda precludes any dry-land life near the ocean.
>		- Gravity would be less for half the "day" (presuming
>		  the days were approx the same length - that's what IV
>		  says), and HIGHER for the other half.
>		  I don't think that even catastrophic evolution would support
>		  reversal modifications on a daily basis.
>		- Earthquake activity would be so high as to probably
>		  eliminate ALL dry-land life.

I just remembered something.  Since water ALWAYS assumes a surface
perpendicular to the gravitation sum vector, we can make some
rough guesses as to how high (or low) the tides would be.  If the
gravity was halved (say) on the moon side, then the gravity on the
other side would probably approximately double.  This sorta implies
that the water level would be hundreds of MILES higher on the moon
side.

There's a Sci-Fi book out recently with the math worked out (which
is what I remembered).  I will post the author and book title if
I can find it in the debris of our house move.

I have also figgered out a rough guess as to how close Venus
would have to be to have an effect of halving gravity.  Venus
because, for the purposes of this discussion, it is fairly close
to the mass of the earth.  Say, in order to verify Velikovsky,
we have to halve the effective gravity of the earth.

Consider the following:

	1) If Venus was orbitting with a radius of 7000 miles
	   (almost touching), gravity would be zero on the side
	   facing it.  But you'd get squashed pretty quick.
	2) For the earth to have an effect of 1G, and Venus to
	   have .5 G, then Venus would have to be approximately
	   the square root of 2 times farther out.  Eg: 1.4 * 7000.
	   Thus, the centre-to-centre distance would be about
	   9800 miles, implying that the separation between them
	   was 2800 miles or so.  HOLY SMOKES THAT'S CLOSE! - you
	   could drive it in 3 days!  Obviously that's not
	   geostationary!  How would any animal have lighter gravity
	   long enough to adapt?  You mention 100's of years for
	   catastrophic evolution ala Velikovsky.  How about less than
	   12 hours?

	   And, the tides would drown everything.

	   And, the stress heating would be so high as to probably melt
	   both planets.

For the moon to have a pull of 1/2 G on the Earth's surface, considering
it's much smaller mass, it's orbit would be so close as to place it's
surface within the Earth's radius.  Therefore, hardly conducive to any
kind of evolution!

Oops, I forgot, the Moon as only 1/6th the gravity of the Earth.  How
then could it have ANY appreciable effect on the effective gravity of
the earth even if it was TOUCHING?  (if it was touching, we would be
at 5/6G, not enough to justify Velikovsky)

Velikovsky could have invented some far prettier (and harder to disprove)
theories if he bothered to even TRY out the math!

If you are going to go back to the aqueous firmament idea, just guess
how much of it there'd have to be!
--

pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (pam pincha) (08/30/85)

In article <382@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:
>               The  notion  that  humans  exterminated  most of the world's
>          mega-fauna  is  idiotic  and  worthy  of  ridicule.
>  Picture
>          ancient man  exterminating EVERY  SINGLE ONE  of the double-sized
>          super-rhinos or megalotheriums on  this  planet  with  knives and
>          spears.  That  is what  Bill Jefferys,  Stan Friesen  et al would
>          have  us  believe  happened.

AAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!:-)
I CARE TO DIFFER WITH THE BLANTENT MISDIRECTION OF THIS ARTICLE!

In my reading of the articles listed (and the ones the I have posted)
NO WHERE was it stated that man killed off ALL the mega-fauna!!!!!!!
In fact I SPECIFICALLY STATED that was not the case!!! READ YOUR
ARTICLES CAREFULLY!!!!

All it takes is depleting a certian amount of the population
below its critical mass to cause it to die out.(THIS is what is
happening currently!) Once this happens, Nature does the rest.
Now if this happens to an important link in the food chain,
other species (carnivores especially) die off too because of a lack
of food! This tends to be a cascading effect that can affect
several groups -- especially during times of stress due to
environmental transistions such as the period just after a major
ice age!! It is not difficult. What we have happening today is
very similar.

Point 2 - In regard to no fauna recorded being wiped out over an
entire continent until recently __WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!
This has happened quite frequently throughout geologic history.
The most distinctive of these are the INDEX FOSSILS geologist
use all the time to distinquish ceertian areas, and time periods.
These are very significant and usefull indicators.
So on this point you have been grossly mislead!!

Point 3 - No ancient calendar having more than 360 days. Please!
Look up the Olmec calendar(which later became the Mayan calendar)
for accurate calendars. They not only had 365 days they had
compensations for all leap year contingencies.Their calendar
rivals ours (and is in some ways better)for accuracy! What are
you trying to prove with that statement?

Point 4 - In reguards to the texts used on dinosaur calculations
and such. These texts wouldn't have those type of calculations
anyway! They are VERY GENERAL overview texts that make no pretentions
of being in depth texts! I suggest you check on Romers texts and
the journals (Journal of Paleontology) for you mathematical cal-
culations. The books you mentioned are beginners texts and the calculations
are long involved and BORING. General beginnig text rarely mention
such. THIS DOES NOT MEAN IT DOES EXIST!!(Another good example of the
"magical thinking"that is rampant in some of the replies on this net.
Note:That was an editorial comment Mail all flames, don't clutter
the net with them,please. Thank-you) Go look again.

Point 5 - albatrosses stop flying at thirty pounds -- condors are bigger
and heavier and BETTER at flying!

long@oliveb.UUCP (Dave Long) (09/01/85)

In article <382@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:
>           1.   Velikovsky's  explaination  of  the  360  day  calendars  of
>                virtually all  antique nations, an enigma which most history
>                books choose to ignore.

    Ted, I'm sure that you are aware that the earth orbits the sun in 365+ days.
Considering that 360 is one of the nicest approximations to 365+, I would say
that that is the best answer to your "enigma".
						Dave Long
--
{hplabs,fortune,idi,ihnp4,tolerant,allegra,tymix}!oliveb!long

Then the Usenetter said to the Architect: "From *where*
did you think the chaos came?" -- Var. on Trad. Joke

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (09/01/85)

In article <1905@mnetor.UUCP> clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
>Yeah, and the Verranzo Narrows bridge collapsed due to an incomplete
>understanding of aerodynamics and resonance.  Even more modern bridges and
>structures are collapsing.

Oops, "Tacoma Bridge".  The book I mentioned about planets in very close
orbit is:

>	The Flight of the Dragonfly - Robert L. Forward PhD 1984
>		greg
>--
>Gregory J.E. Rawlins, CS Dept., U.Waterloo, Waterloo,Ontario N2L3G1,Canada
Thanks Greg.  (lsuc!msb got your reply and forwarded it to me.  How it
was sent to him is beyond us).

Another interesting tidbit:  If, Venus was orbitting with a radius of
9800 miles as I calculated as a requirement to make the gravity on the
side of Earth facing Venus approx .5G (assuming Venus the same mass as
the earth to a first approximation), the gravitational vector at 90
degrees to the Earth-Venus axis at point X would be:

	 -----
	/     \
	|  A  |	   Venus
	\__|__/

	 --|--
	/  |  \
	|  B--X    Earth
	\_____/
	1 G towards centre of Earth
	+ gravity from Venus on A-X direction.

Let's see:
	A-B = 9800 mi.
	B-X = 3500 mi.
	A-X = sqrt(A-B*A-B + (B-X)*(B-X)) = 10406 mi.;
	Gravity at 3500 mi. from Venus centre is 1G, => at 10406 mi. is:
	(3500 / 10406) squared
	= .11 G  on A-X axis
	B-X-A angle = atan(9800 / 3500) = 70 degrees
	A-B component of A-X gravity = arcsin(70) * .11 = .1
	B-X component of B-X gravity = arccos(70) * .11 + 1 = 1.03
	Result vector angle = arctan(.1 / 1.03) = 5.7 degrees.

	Hence, the gravitational vector would be 5.7 degrees off of the
	B-X line, towards A.  Since water always assumes a surface
	perpendicular to the gravitational vector, we can then see that
	water would rest 5.7 degrees off of the "normal" horizontal plane.
	Just to give you an idea of how BIG the tides would be in such
	a situation, consider how high 5.7 degrees IS after a 100 miles:
	(in a 100 miles the Earth hasn't curved much, and the vector
	equations would still hold approximately)
	= 100 * tan(5.7) = 9.9 MILES!

	Tides under such a circumstance would be so high as to mash
	EVERYTHING flat.  So much for Velikovskian theories about reduced
	gravity from other planets allowing larger animals.  We've already
	established that the moon cannot orbit close enough to have
	any appreciable effect (if it was orbitting with a separation
	of 0, the effective gravity would only be 5/6 G.)  If the planet
	was MUCH larger than the Earth - so it could be farther away to
	have the same effect of reducing the gravity by .5, it is easy
	to see that the tidal effects would be worse.  Eg: assume a
	mass big enough to be far enough away that 3500 miles would have
	no appreciable effect in attenuating gravity.  Then, not only
	would the gravity on the side of the Earth facing it be a sum
	of 1G + .5G the other way (to halve gravity), the vector at
	the X position would be approximately 1G down plus .5G at 90 degrees.
	Then you'd have tide angles approaching 20-30 degrees!  I sure
	wouldn't want to live there!!!!!!

Anybody want to do the full Calculus to figger out how high the tides
would be?