[net.origins] The Damager God and net.origins

pez@pyuxn.UUCP (Paul Zimmerman) (09/03/85)

	Charli Phillips asks why discussion of the Damager-God is taking
place (in part) in net.origins. Personally, I think the reason is
obvious. Allow me to explain. The issue of the nature of God is crucial
to the whole concept of origins. Fundamental to the whole question of
creation is the following question. Is God lying about being the
creator, in order to enhance His self-glorification? In order to get
people to whorship Him and ignore His evil? This question is certainly
a major part of the whole origins debate.
--
Paul Zimmerman - AT&T Bell Laboratories
pyuxn!pez

gjerawlins@watdaisy.UUCP (Gregory J.E. Rawlins) (09/04/85)

In article <319@pyuxn.UUCP> pez@pyuxn.UUCP (Paul Zimmerman) writes:

>	Charli Phillips asks why discussion of the Damager-God is taking
>place (in part) in net.origins. Personally, I think the reason is
>obvious. Allow me to explain. The issue of the nature of God is crucial
>to the whole concept of origins. Fundamental to the whole question of
>creation is the following question. Is God lying about being the
>creator, in order to enhance His self-glorification? In order to get
>people to whorship Him and ignore His evil? This question is certainly
>a major part of the whole origins debate.
>--
>Paul Zimmerman - AT&T Bell Laboratories
>pyuxn!pez

          "Personally" I think otherwise. questions about
gods's existence/character belong in net.religion. questions
about the MECHANISMS of the fact of our existence belong in
net.origins. questions about whether or not we EXIST belong in
net.philosophy etc.
         It should be clear why the discussion belongs in
net.religion - the Damager-God discussion first assumes
the EXISTENCE of a/the god, and then arguing about his/it's
characteristics. None of this has anything to do with the
MECHANISMS of our origin. If i were to assume the existence of
a/the god i wouldn't even be reading net.origins (unless as a
proselytizer - a sort of good samaritan bringing enlightenment
to the poor misguided scientific savages).

         Stay in net.religion PLEASE.
--
Gregory J. E. Rawlins, CS Dept., U. Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario N2L3G1, Canada
CSNET:gjerawlins%watdaisy@waterloo.csnet                   BELL:1-519-884-3852