[net.origins] Explanatory power of creationism ?

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (08/20/85)

Let me throw a question out to the creationist side of the
house.  Answers need not be based on a literal reading of
Genesis.

On the second day, after separating the waters, why did
god NOT see "that it was good"?

I think there must be hidden significance here and no
comprehensive creationist picture should leave this point
unilluminated.
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

ix415@sdcc6.UUCP (Rick Frey) (08/26/85)

In article <933@oddjob.UUCP>, matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) writes:
> Let me throw a question out to the creationist side of the
> house.  Answers need not be based on a literal reading of
> Genesis.
>
> On the second day, after separating the waters, why did
> god NOT see "that it was good"?
>
> I think there must be hidden significance here and no
> comprehensive creationist picture should leave this point
> unilluminated.

I guess this is some form of light humor?? (it's actually a somewhat
interesting question).  If you look at the account, the expanse set in
the midst of the waters wasn't declared good, the creation of darkness
wasn't declared good and neither was the creation of the stars just of
the moona and the sun.  Whether Moses was actually just saving space (
:-) ) or there is some actual, superordinate grouping to the creation
events, I'm not sure.

			Rick Frey
			(...!ihnp4!sdcsvax!sdcc6!ix415)

In article <2196@sdcc6.UUCP> ix415@sdcc6.UUCP (Rick Frey) writes:
>  Whether Moses was actually just saving space (
>:-) ) or there is some actual, superordinate grouping to the creation
>events, I'm not sure.

	Just to set the record straight, Moses did *not* write the
opening chapters of Genesis, and it is highly doubtful that he wrote
*any* of it. In fact it, is highly doubtful that he wrote any portion
of the Old Testament at all.  This is not to say that the book of
Genesis wasn't inspired by God, only that Moses had nothing to do with
it. In such a discussion as this, it is important to get your facts
straight. If you are going to try to support a literal reading of
Genesis you will lose credibility if you make demonstrably false
statements.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

ix415@sdcc6.UUCP (Rick Frey) (09/06/85)

In article <683@psivax.UUCP>, friesen@psivax.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) writes:

> 	Just to set the record straight, Moses did *not* write the
> opening chapters of Genesis, and it is highly doubtful that he wrote
> *any* of it. In fact it, is highly doubtful that he wrote any portion
> of the Old Testament at all.  This is not to say that the book of
> Genesis wasn't inspired by God, only that Moses had nothing to do with
> it. In such a discussion as this, it is important to get your facts
> straight. If you are going to try to support a literal reading of
> Genesis you will lose credibility if you make demonstrably false
> statements.

Great, but show me what the demonstrably false statement is?

"No man can claim to know with absolute assurance who wrote the Book of
Genesis.  Since Genesis is a necessary foundation for Exodus to Deuteronomy,
and since the available evidence indicates that Moses wrote these four
books, Moses is the likely author of Genesis itself.  The New Testament
evidence points in the same direction (cf. expecially Jn 5:46,47; Lk
16:31; 24:44) ...  No evidence to the contrary has been able to
invalidate this tradition."    H.C. Leupold  D.D.

"Although the Book of Exodus nowhere claims Mosaic authorship in toto,
the entire body of Pentiteuchal Law, comprising principally the portion
extending from Exodus 20 through the Book of Deuteronomy, in explicitly
positive terms claims to be Mosaic.  Moses is declared to be the writer
of the Book of the Covenant (chs 20-23) comprising the Ten Commandments
and the accompanying judgements and ordinances (24:4,7) ...  Present day
conservative scholarship as well as tradition have maintained the Mosaic
authorship.  Critical theories offer no adequate substitute for Mosaic
authenticity."  Merril F. Unger  Ph.D.

Sorry for continuing this argument in net.origins but I couldn't let
something that blatantly contradictory stand without some sort of
support for my side.  If you'd like to continue this discussion (Mr.
Friesen) post in net.religion or net.religion.christian, I read both.

			Rick Frey