[net.origins] Dan Boscovich steps forward to talk about God

pez@pyuxn.UUCP (Paul Zimmerman) (09/05/85)

Dan,
	I am glad that you have seen fit to respond to the evidence of
the evil of God. Your response leaves a little to be desired, but I welcome
the chance to discuss the nature of the Damager-God with you.

	You ask ``what happened to [me] to lead [me] to this conclusion.''
You assume that I must have once considered myself a Christian, but was hurt.
In the true sense of believing in God, I was never a Christian, I never
believed in God as you know it. As far as being hurt goes, of course I
have been hurt. Anyone who has lived a full life has experienced hurt of
some kind or other. The question is ``Why?'' Is it because of the random
elements of chance that evolutionists attribute their theories to? Or is it
because of the deliberate interference of a Damager-God? I also do not
understand why you say I must be an ``evil madman'' to believe that an
evil God in control. Isn't that what they call ``assuming your conclusion?''
Assuming that I must be evil because I believe in the existence of a heinous
Damager-God? I don't believe that you are evil just because you believe the
lies of an evil Damager-God. Why do you feel conversely about me?

	You say you ``know'' I could not possibly really believe my ``theory.''
I believe it because the evidence makes it clear that it is true.  Why do you
believe your ``theory?''  Since I was never ``trying to serve'' God, I am not
trying to hurt Him back. I am trying to erode the base of sheepish whorshipful
support for a pig monster who gains pleasure from our misery by letting people
know what He is really like. I don't believe that He is as all powerful as
you might believe (obviously He makes mistakes), and I believe someday He
will be beaten. And I live in hope for that day.

	If I have ``hurt God,'' as you say, then I am extremely proud. I doubt
that this has occured, because I am just one human being, and billions of
people still offer the sheepish whorship He has sought by inducing the belief
into our minds about how good He is despite His evil doings. You are as much
a victim of this as the other billions, Dan. I feel truly sorry for you. If
you feel you are suffering, it is because you have fallen for His lines and
now sympathize with Him, despite what you know about His evil. If you feel
as honored as Paul did to suffer, then you have fallen for God's biggest
lie:  ``Suffering for me is good.'' Why do you believe this?

	Dan, you give me words to consider. You say we all suffer pain and
loss. We all yell and scream at God. You say you have felt worse after doing
so. Well, if you didn't start from the assumption that God must be good,
what conclusion might you draw from that?  Perhaps, the conclusion that
God punished you for questioning Him, and that He did so, not out of love
or goodness, but out of vindictive evil. Why DON'T you reach that
conclusion? Could it be because you have been brainwashed into believing
otherwise?

	As I have said to others, don't waste prayers to the pig filth
Damager-God, on me or on you. There is no love from Him waiting for
anybody. Did He really ``become human flesh,'' or did He just select a man
as His son and dupe him into suffering for Him, in His place, then duping
the rest of mankind into believing it all? Why do you persistently believe
in God's lies when you have already said that you know better, that you have
questioned the goodness of God?  Why the heck did you stop?

	Dan, let's assume for the moment a balance between your view and
mine. Let's look at the difference between your view and mine. You believe
that God exists and is good, I believe that God exists and is heinously
evil. You believe I am thoroughly mistaken when I say that the Damager-God
is a filthy disgusting monster, and I believe that you are equally
mistaken in your beliefs. You have said that everyone suffers pain, and that
I am wrong to attribute it to an evil God, that I should be attributing
good things to Him. I have said that the good that happens in people's lives
only occurs when we beat God, when we work at achieving things against His
will, or when God uses intermittent reinforcement to seduce the minds of His
whorshipers. I have also said that in contrast to the hard work we must go
through to achieve the slightest good, evil seems to happen as if by itself,
as if it had a will of its own! My question to you is, based on the evidence,
which of us is doing the assuming, and which of us has reached a conclusion
based on the facts? I welcome your joining this conversation and look forward
to your reply.

	One thing I ask, Dan. I don't appreciate being referred to with
contempt as ``Mr. Z.'' I'd appreciate being called by name, Mr. Zimmerman
if you must or Paul if you like. I don't refer to you as ``Bosco,'' do I?

Be well,
--
Paul Zimmerman - AT&T Bell Laboratories
pyuxn!pez

jay@well.UUCP (Jay Kinney) (09/13/85)

I don't know about anyone else, but I've been greatly enjoying this
Damager-God discussion and have found it quite stimulating.  I don't
think that anyone has mentioned that Paul Zimmerman's concepts closely
match the ancient gnostic concept of God as a Demiurge who *thinks*
he is the Big Cheese, but is actually just a Creator-god somewhat down
on the Totem-pole. The gnostics posited an Unknown God far beyond the
realm of Good & Evil who oversaw the whole mess and to which one could
make contact--once one saw thru the Demiurge.
   These ideas are also part of the later thinking of SF author
Philip K. Dick (see his novel VALIS, for instance).
   If anyone is interested, the first issue of a new magazine called
GNOSIS: A Journal of the Western Inner Traditions is just now (finally)
coming out with the initial issue's theme on "Gnosticism--Ancient and
Modern". Material includes articles on gnostic cosmologies, plus
previously unpublished material from PKDick's journals.
  Subscriptions are $15 for 4 issues (Single copies postpaid are $5 for #1)
Checks or Money-orders in U.S. funds to:
   The Lumen Foundation
   P.O. Box 14217,
   San Francisco, CA 94114 USA
      Please forgive the plug, but it seemed particularly germane to the
discussion...
    Cheers,  Jay Kinney
    <ihnpr>!hplabs!well!jay

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron C. Howes) (09/14/85)

In article <184@well.UUCP> jay@well.UUCP (Jay Kinney) writes:

>I don't know about anyone else, but I've been greatly enjoying this
>Damager-God discussion and have found it quite stimulating.  I don't
>think that anyone has mentioned that Paul Zimmerman's concepts closely
>match the ancient gnostic concept of God as a Demiurge who *thinks*
>he is the Big Cheese, but is actually just a Creator-god somewhat down
>on the Totem-pole. The gnostics posited an Unknown God far beyond the
>realm of Good & Evil who oversaw the whole mess and to which one could
>make contact--once one saw thru the Demiurge.

Oh boy, a chance for me to come out of my closet again!  The big difference
between the Demiurge and the Damager G-d is that the Demiurge isn't evil,
just unaware that it's not at the top of the deific heap, so to speak.  In
some traditions he is called Samael, "The Blind G-d."  Gnostics are not
maltheists, in general, and we would reject Zimmerman's views.

Gnostics do not believe that one can make contact with The Father.  The
Father is perfect and unreachable and exists as a principle, rather than
as a thing, to us.  One can, and should, touch the Sophia (Wisdom,)
but that is not the same.  Seeing through the Demiurge does not mean one
sees the Father, merely that one percieves the universe in a different
way.

Thanks for the pointer to the journal, I had not heard of it.
--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch