[net.origins] more on dinosaurs and load-bearing

ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) (09/07/85)

     There are  two articles  on the  net now having to do with the capacity of
the really heavy sauropod dinosaurs to bear weight,  one by  myself and another
by Stanley Friesen.  Some comments:

Mike Huybenzs writes:

>Ted, your calculations and observations include a number of fundamental
>errors.

>First, extrapolation of human strength to heavy-bodied quadruped dinosaurs
>does not take into account the fact that the mechanical advantages of the
>differently proportioned limbs are quite different.  Differing muscle
>attachment points would give the dinosaurs' muscles much greater leverage,
>perhaps several times more.

>Your observations from imaginative drawings in books are also wildly
>inaccurate: your "ten foot diameter" legs should be measured in the upper
>thigh, which in most modern quadrupeds is well above the belly.  I'm
>sure you would also disprove horses and elephants by their small leg
>cross-section below the belly.  In addition, quadrupods seldom have a
>circular thigh cross section, else they would bulge in the way you claim
>the ultrasaur should.

>As others have mentioned, please check original research literature, rather
>than popular books.  That's where the science is: popular books are usually
>pale reflections, drained of details and facts that won't sell to
>scientific illiterates.

     The objection  that any  animals thigh  is wider than its calf or ankle is
irrelevant; a ten foot wide animal with ten foot wide THIGHS is impossible.
The objection that no animal's thighs are perfectly  round is  also irrelevant.
The starting  point for  the entire calculation was weight and CIRCUMFERENCE of
thigh;  If you insist that the ultrasaur's thigh was only 8  feet from  side to
side, I  will just  as logically  insist that  it was then necessarily 12 or 13
feet  from back to front, still impossible on an animal whose body was 25 or 30
feet long and 10 feet wide.

     The notion that the dinosaurs thighs were more efficient than Kazmier's is
simply wrong by a very wide margin.  The  thigh muscles  in the  human would be
pulling   fairly   straight,   while   the   outer  layers  of  muscle  in  the
disproportionately much wider thigh of the sauropod would  not only  be pulling
at a  vector angle,  they would  be pulling  THROUGH the inner layers of muscle
i.e. the  different  layers  of  muscle  in  such  a  wide  limb  would  get in
eachother's way.  Try thinking these things through logically, Mike, instead of
making up or looking  up "facts".   Your mind,  if properly  used, is  a better
reference than  many textbooks.   I mean, the Lord designed your mind;  the guy
who wrote that textbook you're quoting from, like  as not,  was someone  as ill
informed as you.

     As to  the notion that revealed truth and TRUE KNOWLEDGE can only be found
in Academia, don't go away, Mike;  that's coming up in a few paragraphs.

     The comparison between human weightlifters and the ultrasaur is admittedly
crude, but  it is hard to get any kind of a real handle on something like that.
I believe that if you make  the ballpark  figures good  ones, and  then set the
whole thing  up so  that EVERYTHING  favors the  sauropod, even to the point of
being ridiculous, and then show that he still couldn't make it, then  the whole
thing  is  basically  valid.   I  further  believe  that I DID that.  There are
several points I didn't  even bother  to mention  because I  thought they would
occur to anyone who thought about it.  These are:

     1.   The HUMAN leg being the more efficient, as demonstrated.

     2.   The fact  that I  was comparing  what the human could lift when fully
          warmed up to the load the sauropod must face when getting up  after a
          nap, totally cold.

     3.   The fact  that I was comparing what the human could SQUAT to the load
          the sauropod must lift OFF THE GROUND.

     4.   The fact that the  constant K  itself would  not be  as high  for the
          sauropod as for the maximally trained human athlete.

     If we  were to  be brutally  honest and  assume that each of these factors
were in something like a 1.5  to one  ratio, then  each would  add a  factor of
(1.5)**.5 to  the width  of the  dinosaur's thigh,  which would then be 22 feet
wide.  Like I say, rather than throw all  of this  at the  good readers  on the
net, I went with the case in which ALL assumptions favored the sauropod, and he
still never made it.

     I am not going to quote  Mr. Friesen's article  here;   it is  on the net.
Basically,  he  claims  that  a Mr. R.M. Alexander has computed "load factors",
based on the stress that BONES can take, and determined  thereby that dinosaurs
could function  normally in  our world.   Is there a problem with that?  Anyone
who has watched houses being built knows how  much weight  an ordinary  2x4 can
bear when  stood end on end.  Bones are like that in a way.  Take my own humble
middle-aged body as an example.  I am about 6' 4",  207 lbs,  somewhat stronger
than  the  general  run  of  my  fellow  middle-aged  businessmen,  but I am no
powerlifter.  I have friends who are; they are  a whole  lot stronger  than I.
Nonetheless, if I kept my back and legs straight, and two of these friends were
kind enough to put a bar with five or six hundred pounds on it on my shoulders,
I could  stand with  it;   the bones  would not  break.  Mr. Alexander would no
doubt then conclude that I could function quite well at 700 or 800 lbs  (my 200
plus the bar).

     I've been  out of  academia for a number of years now.  It could very well
be that this kind of thing  is now  called "SCHOLARLY  RESEARCH" at  UCLA these
days; I  don't know.  Out here in the real world where I live, however, this is
called "LYING WITH FIGURES".

throopw@rtp47.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (09/10/85)

> There are several points I didn't even bother to mention because I
> thought they would occur to anyone who thought about it.  These are:
>
>      1.   The HUMAN leg being the more efficient, as demonstrated.

No such thing was demonstrated.  The argument from above was totally
bogus.  Your "demonstration" is separable into several points, several
of which are incorrect.  I'll include this "demonstration" here.  First:

> The notion that the dinosaurs thighs were more efficient than
> Kazmier's is simply wrong by a very wide margin.

I see.  You have measured Sauropod muscle efficency often then?

> The thigh muscles in the human would be pulling fairly straight, while
> the outer layers of muscle in the disproportionately much wider thigh
> of the sauropod would not only be pulling at a vector angle, they
> would be pulling THROUGH the inner layers of muscle i.e. the different
> layers of muscle in such a wide limb would get in eachother's way.

Rubbish.  You are totally ignoring leverage advantage.  Also, muscle
fibers are always aligned along the direction of tension, thus they
*never* "pull at an angle", in *any* animal, man and Sauropod alike.
You *have* seen anatomical diagrams and dissections of reptillian and
mamallian muscle tissue?

> Try thinking these things through logically, Mike, instead of making
> up or looking up "facts".  Your mind, if properly used, is a better
> reference than many textbooks.  I mean, the Lord designed your mind;
> the guy who wrote that textbook you're quoting from, like as not, was
> someone as ill informed as you.

Try thinking these things through logically, Ted, instead of making up
"facts".  Your mind, if properly used, is a better reference than many
textbooks, but Nature evolved your mind, and thus  your mind is just as
fallable as any professor's (if not more so).

I might also point out that the Aristotalian notion that True Knowlege
is only obtainable through reason, with no recourse to measurement or
observation of the real world is somewhat out of date today, for good
reason.

>    2.   The fact  that I  was comparing  what the human could lift when fully
>         warmed up to the load the sauropod must face when getting up  after a
>         nap, totally cold.

And a comparison of human muscular efficency with Sauropod muscular
efficency is totally bogus in any event.

>    3.   The fact  that I was comparing what the human could SQUAT to the load
>         the sauropod must lift OFF THE GROUND.

Yep.  And you were assuming that the human and Sauropod skeleton gave
the same leverage in each case, which is clearly incorrect.

>    4.   The fact that the  constant K  itself would  not be  as high  for the
>         sauropod as for the maximally trained human athlete.

This isn't a supporting point.  This simply follows from other points,
all of which are incorrect.  Thus, it itself is quite suspect.

> Like I say, rather than throw all of this at the good readers on the
> net, I went with the case in which ALL assumptions favored the sauropod,
> and he still never made it.

As pointed out above, not *all* your assumptions favored the Sauropod.
Leverage of the limb is the major one where you are incorrect, along
with the mis-application of the square-cube scaling factor, and the
assumption that human muscles are as strong as any that exist.

> Nonetheless, if I kept my back and legs straight, and two of these
> friends were kind enough to put a bar with five or six hundred pounds on
> it on my shoulders, I could stand with it; the bones would not break.
> Mr. Alexander would no doubt then conclude that I could function quite
> well at 700 or 800 lbs (my 200 plus the bar).

Are you actually asserting that a (for example) 1000lb man couldn't
"function quite well"?  If so, and you are right, I suppose you had
better let the Guiness Book of World Records know right away.  Thay have
a fraud... a man who survived and "prospered" while weighing somewhat
more than that.  Of course, he was supposed to have crashed through the
floor of his house, but he was walking around in it until then.

> I've been out of academia for a number of years now.  It could very well
> be that this kind of thing is now called "SCHOLARLY RESEARCH" at UCLA
> these days; I don't know.  Out here in the real world where I live,
> however, this is called "LYING WITH FIGURES".

I see.  You mean something like ignoring leverage, and assuming that
human muscle tissue is as strong as muscle tissue can be, and things
like that?
--
Wayne Throop at Data General, RTP, NC
<the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!rtp47!throopw

beth@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Beth Christy) (09/10/85)

[If God had wanted us to run around naked, we'd have be Born that way!]

From: ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden), Message-ID: <391@imsvax.UUCP>:
>Try thinking these things through logically, Mike, instead of making up or
>looking  up "facts".   Your mind,  if properly  used, is  a better reference
>than  many textbooks.   I mean, the Lord designed your mind;  the guy who
>wrote that textbook you're quoting from, like  as not,  was someone  as ill
>informed as you.

Or you.  Or Velikovsky, for that matter.  If "ill-informed" is an undesi-
rable property, how does one become "informed" without reading?  Should
everyone start from scratch and rebuild all of mathematics and physics and
geology and biology and chemistry and archeology and ..... for herself?
I keep writing a bunch of reply, but it's too easy.  Why argue with anyone
who admits to having total disdain for the work and experience and opinions
of others (eg, textbook authors)?

--

--JB       (Beth Christy, U. of Chicago, ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!beth)

		"Oh yeah, P.S.,
		 I...I feel...feel like...I am
		 in a burning building
		 And I gotta go."            (Laurie Anderson)

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (09/10/85)

In article <391@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:
>     There are  two articles  on the  net now having to do with the capacity of
>the really heavy sauropod dinosaurs to bear weight,  one by  myself and another
>by Stanley Friesen.  Some comments:

>     The notion that the dinosaurs thighs were more efficient than Kazmier's is
>simply wrong by a very wide margin.  The  thigh muscles  in the  human would be
>pulling   fairly   straight,   while   the   outer  layers  of  muscle  in  the
>disproportionately much wider thigh of the sauropod would  not only  be pulling
>at a  vector angle,  they would  be pulling  THROUGH the inner layers of muscle
>i.e. the  different  layers  of  muscle  in  such  a  wide  limb  would  get in
>eachother's way.

I think you've missed part of what he was saying.  It is perfectly possible
to have the bones and muscles to be arranged in such a way as to provide a
LOT MORE leverage.  Consider, when a human is standing with leg thus:

		O <- hip
		 \
		   \
		    O    <- knee
		   /
		 /
		 ==== <- foot

For all intents and purposes, the leg muscles for the knee are connected
between A and B around the knee.  The leverage for the purpose of
straightening the leg is pretty poor because most of the muscle contraction
force is wasted trying to shorten the bones because most of the force
is parellel with the bones.  Engineers never build mechanical
systems with that sort of inefficiency built-in.

Consider a better system:

		O <- hip
		 \
		   \
		    O    <- knee
		   /---B
		  /
		 /
		 ==== <- foot

If the muscle was connected between A and B (on the tip of a bone spike),
you'd get lots more leverage.  Lots of dinosaur bones show such adaptation
to get more leverage.  If you were to measure the straight-line pull
strength of a thigh muscle, it would be far higher than the force
exertable when installed in a human being.  Also, consider things like
the primates, when you consider that a chimp or orangutan weighing less
than a hundred pounds can rip the door off of a car without any trouble
with its scrawny arms, you find the mistake in trying to scale up humans
to explain limits in animals.

>Basically,  he  claims  that  a Mr. R.M. Alexander has computed "load factors",
>based on the stress that BONES can take, and determined  thereby that dinosaurs
>could function  normally in  our world.

>Nonetheless, if I kept my back and legs straight, and two of these friends were
>kind enough to put a bar with five or six hundred pounds on it on my shoulders,
>I could  stand with  it;   the bones  would not  break.  Mr. Alexander would no
>doubt then conclude that I could function quite well at 700 or 800 lbs  (my 200
>plus the bar).

And he'd be right.  There are lots of people well over 500 or 600 pounds.
Ever hear of "Haystacks Calhoun"?  I don't imagine that his bones are any
bigger than yours, nor is he any taller, and he gets around pretty
well.  Last I heard he was 750 pounds or so.  I used to watch a lot of
wrestling back in my younger days (his high smashes were awesome - I
think he broke through the wrestling ring once)....
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis

padraig@utastro.UUCP (Padraig Houlahan) (09/12/85)

> > Try thinking these things through logically, Mike, instead of making
> > up or looking up "facts".  Your mind, if properly used, is a better
> > reference than many textbooks.  I mean, the Lord designed your mind;
> > the guy who wrote that textbook you're quoting from, like as not, was
> > someone as ill informed as you.

Does this statement also apply to Velikovsky and authors in Kronos?

Padraig Houlahan.

In article <391@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:

>     The objection  that any  animals thigh  is wider than its calf or ankle is
>irrelevant; a ten foot wide animal with ten foot wide THIGHS is impossible.

	Why is it impossible? I see nothing *intrinsically* difficult
about it. See below for a fuller explanation.

>If you insist that the ultrasaur's thigh was only 8  feet from  side to
>side, I  will just  as logically  insist that  it was then necessarily 12 or 13
>feet  from back to front, still impossible on an animal whose body was 25 or 30
>feet long and 10 feet wide.

	Well, here is part of your problem. You have the beasties
measurements wrong. A Sauropod only 25 to 30 *feet* long would be the
*smallest* one I have ever heard tell of. The correct size is more
likely to be 25 to 30 *yards*, in which case a width of 10 feet would
be ridiculously thin! A width of 25 feet would be perfectly reasonable,
pehaps even a bit wider. At that width two 8 ft wide thighs would only
add up to 16 feet, or about half the total width, which is again quite
reasonable. Of course all this assumes your estimates of required
muscle mass are actually correct.

>     The notion that the dinosaurs thighs were more efficient than Kazmier's is
>simply wrong by a very wide margin...
>	(A list of speculative factors supporting this claim)

	Well, as has been pointed out, there are other factors which
point the other direction, so we have now reached the limit of
Aristotelian a priori reasoning. It is time for an experiment. The
best one I can think of is to measure a number of species of animals
of various sizes and plot the weight supported by a leg versus the
average diameter of that leg. This will produce an allometric equation
which estimates the size of leg expected for animals of various sizes.
It will be "conservative", that is it will *over*estimate the required
diameter. It then becomes a matter of extrapolating the curve to the
size proposed for the Ultrasaur, and hope that the extrapolation is
valid.(This is because *any* extrapolation beyond your data is
somewhat suspect, since the curve may change just beyond the end of
available data).

>....   I  further  believe  that I DID that.  There are
>several points I didn't  even bother  to mention  because I  thought they would
>occur to anyone who thought about it.  These are:
>
>     1.   The HUMAN leg being the more efficient, as demonstrated.
	Well, your "demonstration" was more an argument from
reasonability than a real scientific demonstration. In fact since you
ignored leverage, it is quite doubtful that it is correct

>     2.   The fact  that I  was comparing  what the human could lift when fully
>          warmed up to the load the sauropod must face when getting up  after a
>          nap, totally cold.
	Who says a Sauropod would *get up* from a nap, like many large
animals today it would probably sleep on its feet. Also, they may well
have been warm-blooded, so they wouldn't cool off sinificantly
anyway!

>     3.   The fact  that I was comparing what the human could SQUAT to the load
>          the sauropod must lift OFF THE GROUND.

	See above, why lift?

>     4.   The fact that the  constant K  itself would  not be  as high  for the
>          sauropod as for the maximally trained human athlete.

	Why not? They would be constantly "training", since survival
in the wild depends on good health and adequate strength.

>     I am not going to quote  Mr. Friesen's article  here;   it is  on the net.
>Basically,  he  claims  that  a Mr. R.M. Alexander has computed "load factors",
>based on the stress that BONES can take, and determined  thereby that dinosaurs
>could function  normally in  our world.   Is there a problem with that?  Anyone
>who has watched houses being built knows how  much weight  an ordinary  2x4 can
>bear when  stood end on end.  Bones are like that in a way.  Take my own humble
>middle-aged body as an example.  I am about 6' 4",  207 lbs,  somewhat stronger
>than  the  general  run  of  my  fellow  middle-aged  businessmen,  but I am no
>powerlifter.  I have friends who are; they are  a whole  lot stronger  than I.
>Nonetheless, if I kept my back and legs straight, and two of these friends were
>kind enough to put a bar with five or six hundred pounds on it on my shoulders,
>I could  stand with  it;   the bones  would not  break.  Mr. Alexander would no
>doubt then conclude that I could function quite well at 700 or 800 lbs  (my 200
>plus the bar).

	No, his conclusion would be that you have sufficient
structural leeway that you could run fairly fast without breaking your
legs. Remember, he was mainly concerned with *gait*, but an animal
that has the capability of a slow run certainly can *stand* on land.
Try running sometime, see how hard you pound your feet(and legs)
against the ground, you will realize just how much *extra* tension is
placed on your legs every stride. In fact if your support ratio is
only ~4.0 you could not even run! That is a worse ratio than an
Elephant! As a matter of fact 800/200 is almost as bad as the *worst*
of the Sauropods! I rather expect that your *bones* could stand a
whole lot more. The basic point is that the limiting factor here is
not standing on land, it is the extra impact sustained during
locomotion, and this requires structural support, not muscles. Muscles
can always be adjusted as necessary.

--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

padraig@utastro.UUCP (Padraig Houlahan) (09/15/85)

Ted Holden wrote:

> > > Try thinking these things through logically, Mike, instead of making
> > > up or looking up "facts".  Your mind, if properly used, is a better
> > > reference than many textbooks.  I mean, the Lord designed your mind;
> > > the guy who wrote that textbook you're quoting from, like as not, was
> > > someone as ill informed as you.
>
> Does this statement also apply to Velikovsky and authors in Kronos?
>
> Padraig Houlahan.

Hey Ted, I'm still waiting for a reply.

Padraig Houlahan.