[net.origins] astronomers, flesh and blood gliders, out-of-context quotes

ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) (09/14/85)

               There are  several kinds  of animals on our planet which can
          glide, but are not  generally capable  of flying.   These include
          the flying  squirrel, the  flying fish,  and one  or two kinds of
          lizards.  In  each  of  these,  gliding  is  basically  an escape
          mechanism which  they use  occasionally to  get out of harms way,
          and which they use to cover small distances, typically 50  or 100
          feet.   The  flying  fish  and  lizards  must  jump vigorously to
          achieve their shorts glides,  while the  squirrel takes  off from
          trees.  None  of these creatures RELIES on gliding as its primary
          mode of transportation and, in  that  sense,  there  are  no true
          gliders amongst  the animals  of our planet.  There are none now,
          there have never been any, and there never shall be any.

               The reasons  for  this  are  so  many,  so  obvious,  and so
          compelling, that  only someone  like Bill  Jefferys, whose entire
          life has been spent absorbing dogma and sealing his mind off from
          logic, would  have any  problem with  them.  A  (partial) list of
          such reasons would include the following:

               1.   Such  a  creature  (as   a  quetzalcoatlus  northropi),
                    assuming  it  could  only  glide, would only be able to
                    take off from high ground.  Did any of you readers ever
                    see  a  sailplane  or  a  hang glider take off from low
                    ground?  Real thermal currents  only  start  from about
                    100 feet up or so, even over asphalt.  It would have to
                    have been  a carrion  feeder (unless  Jefferys has some
                    explanation  as  to  how  a  glider  might  could  have
                    caught some  super-slow prehistoric  duck while staying
                    airborne).  It  would have  had to  land on low ground,
                    eat carrion (thereby gaining several pounds),  and then
                    (since there  would have  been NO WAY IN HELL for it to
                    have gotten back  in  the  air  from  where  it stood),
                    DRAGGED  its  hiney  AND  ITS  45 FOOT WINGS slowly and
                    clumsily back up to  the  top  of  the  mountain again,
                    hoping that  all of the predators along the way, out of
                    the goodness of their hearts, would refrain from eating
                    it.

               2.   Any  creature  which  could  only  glide  would have no
                    home.  Its life would be a  continual migration  in the
                    direction of  the prevailing  winds.  How then would it
                    care for its young, back at the nest?

               3.   How many days have any of you readers  seen it  go with
                    no wind?   How many  days can  any of  you live without
                    food?

               But a crank like Bill Jefferys has no use for  logic such as
          this.  He quotes Wan Langston's obviously misguided statement:

        "It appears, then, that *Quetzalcoatlus* may have lived on fairly
        flat, low-lying ground.  There, as is the habit of a vulture,
        it may well have had to wait each morning until the sun
        warmed the ground and strong thermal updrafts developed.
        In the larger pterosaurs the musculature that animated the
        wing was not impressively massive, and the hind limbs were long
        but weak.  All things considered, it seems unlikely that
        *Quetzalcoatlus* could have run on its hind legs and flapped
        its wings energetically.  Still, if the animal could stand up
        on its hind legs and catch the appropriate breeze, a single
        flap of the wings and a kick with the legs may have been all
        it needed for takeoff."

And then goes on to say:

>Langston is not describing the same behemoth which flies by
>expending large amounts of power flapping its wings that Ted does.
>For a gliding animal such as Langston postulates, large amounts of
>wing power are not required, as the necessary lift comes from thermals.
>True, getting airborne is not easy, but Langston proposes a plausible
>mechanism, well known from living (though smaller) creatures.  Once
>airborne there is no reason why *Quetzalcoatlus* could not have
>remained aloft all day, as unpowered sailplanes do today.

     Now, we've  all seen vultures take off from low ground by simply spreading
their wings and ascending  into the  rising heat  waves coming  off the ground,
haven't we?   I mean, these guys seem to be describing the Texas pterosaur as a
prehistoric  G. Gordon  Liddy,  with  superman  cape  attached,  only  the real
G. Gordon Liddy  at least  had the sense (if you could call it that) to try his
stunt from the roof of his uncles barn.   The technique  didn't work  for Liddy
(who spent  several months  in the  hospital) any better than it would have for
Quetzalcoatlus Northropi, which outweighed Liddy by about 100 lbs.

     The funniest part of Jefferys' article  is  his  asking  me  to  clear any
future quotes  from University  of Texas  professors with  HIM.  I mean, I gave
Langston the benefit of the doubt, Bill.  I quoted the INTELLIGENT part  of his
article.

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (09/15/85)

>     The funniest part of Jefferys' article  is  his  asking  me  to  clear any
>future quotes  from University  of Texas  professors with  HIM.

Ted, please do not put words in my mouth.  I never said or even implied such
a thing.  I suggest you go back and reread your copy of "Nettiquette", if
indeed you have ever read it.

>I mean, I gave
>Langston the benefit of the doubt, Bill.  I quoted the INTELLIGENT part  of his
>article.

I see that you do not apologize for quoting Professor Langston out of
context.  Indeed, you appear to revel in it.  And you accuse me of poor
scholarship!  I gave you the benefit of the doubt, assuming that your
quotation out of context was unintentional.  I regret that you have
shown that this trust was misplaced.

By this act you have destroyed all credibility that your articles
could possibly have had in this forum.  If you think that quoting others
out of context is acceptable, how can anyone believe anything you say?
Face it, Ted.  You have irretrievably LOST the whole debate by this
foolish act.

I am dropping out of this discussion.  It is impossible to carry on
a civilized conversation with someone who behaves as you do.

Send your flames to /dev/null, Ted.  My "n" key works very well indeed.

--
Glend.	I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hot.	Why, so can I, or so can any man; But will they come when you

	Bill Jefferys  8-%
	Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712   (USnail)
	{allegra,ihnp4}!{ut-sally,noao}!utastro!bill	(UUCP)
	bill@astro.UTEXAS.EDU.				(Internet)

padraig@utastro.UUCP (Padraig Houlahan) (09/15/85)

Ted accused Bill of "sealing his mind off from logic". Let's look at some
of Ted's diatribes and their contents and see how well he does.

1) Ted has stated that mathematics is wrong and is based on incorrect
   assumptions. Since it was mathematics that allowed us to send
   a spacecraft to successfully intercept a comet last week Ted's
   statement is demonstrably incorrect, and hence Ted's knowledge
   of mathematics is suspect.

2) Ted has criticized all authors of textbooks. He could not find
   a single branch of study to exempt from this proclamation.
   Ted's sense of reality is suspect.

3) Ted has been confronted with an error in the manner in which he quoted
   material from someone's work. Instead of correcting the error by
   retracting that part of his argument, he did nothing. Ted's
   integrity is therefore suspect.

4) Look at the following:

>           trees.  None  of these creatures RELIES on gliding as its primary
>           mode of transportation and, in  that  sense,  there  are  no true
>           gliders amongst  the animals  of our planet.  There are none now,
>           there have never been any, and there never shall be any.

   Ted claims that we will never find any fossils
   or remains of creatures that rely on gliding as their primary
   mode of transportation. One can say that one thinks it unlikely
   for certain reasons, but it is not scientific to say it without
   qualification. Ted's delusions of doing science are therefore suspect.

Ted you are making a poor impression here. I might be wrong, but the above
seem to indicate that (a) you are ignorant of mathematics, (b) you
are ignorant of reality, (c) you are lacking in integrity, and
(d) you are ignorant of science. In short, you are ignorant.

Now I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, so I will
wait for you to show me how wrong I am; all you have to do is make
simple retractions, or even qualifications, to the above four topics.
It's real easy. Just say something like "math works pretty well", and
maybe an admission like "I don't know absolutely everything, therefore
I was wrong when I said that all textbook authors are wrong". A small
comment like "I seem to have made a mistake when I failed to retract
an error that was pointed out to me" would also go a long way towards
piecing the shreds of your credibility back together again.

Sincerely,

Padraig Houlahan.

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (09/18/85)

--
Well, sports fans, what Ted Holden has provided us with so far are
some simple explanations for two archeological puzzles: (1) really

But what we have to ask Ted (and so I do herewith) is, does
Velikovsky's explanation hold together?  If Velikovsky's explanation
of planetary billiards really happened, show me, Ted, how those
collisions preserved angular momentum.  Show me how the
"Age of Cronos" lessened gravity yet didn't tear the earth apart.
Let's see some more of that calculator magic.  Show how Velikovsky's
hypothesis, which does explain those two puzzles, is still consistent
with celestial mechanics.  Go ahead--make my day.

Ted, if you tell me that the laws of physics didn't apply back then,
then what's with all the muscle/weight/strength calculations?  Throw
out physics and even a 300 lb. rock can fly.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

In article <395@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:

>               There are  several kinds  of animals on our planet which can
>          glide, but are not  generally capable  of flying.   These include
>          the flying  squirrel, the  flying fish,  and one  or two kinds of
>          lizards.  In  each  of  these,  gliding  is  basically  an escape
>          mechanism which  they use  occasionally to  get out of harms way,
>          and which they use to cover small distances, typically 50  or 100
>          feet.   The  flying  fish  and  lizards  must  jump vigorously to
>          achieve their shorts glides,  while the  squirrel takes  off from
>          trees.  None  of these creatures RELIES on gliding as its primary
>          mode of transportation and, in  that  sense,  there  are  no true
>          gliders amongst  the animals  of our planet.  There are none now,
>          there have never been any, and there never shall be any.

	This is somewhat misleading, there may be no *pure* gliders
which rely on gliding for transportation, bu there *are* a number of
animals that are *predominantly* gliders. These include the Albatross
and many(or even most) Vultures, especially the giant Vultures called
Condors. These animals have sufficient musculature in thier wings to
wupplement gliding with an occansional flap(to provide that small
extra push needed to stay aloft). The wing structure of the larger
pterosaurs(such as Quetzalcoatlus and Pteranodon) is very close indeed
to that of an Albatross. In short the comparison of these organisms to
Flying Squirrels and the like is an apples/oranges comparison.

>>Langston is not describing the same behemoth which flies by
>>expending large amounts of power flapping its wings that Ted does.
>>For a gliding animal such as Langston postulates, large amounts of
>>wing power are not required, as the necessary lift comes from thermals.
>>True, getting airborne is not easy, but Langston proposes a plausible
>>mechanism, well known from living (though smaller) creatures.  Once
>>airborne there is no reason why *Quetzalcoatlus* could not have
>>remained aloft all day, as unpowered sailplanes do today.
>

>     Now, we've  all seen vultures take off from low ground by simply spreading
>their wings and ascending  into the  rising heat  waves coming  off the ground,
>haven't we?   I mean, these guys seem to be describing the Texas pterosaur as a
>prehistoric  G. Gordon  Liddy,  with  superman  cape  attached,  only  the real
>G. Gordon Liddy  at least  had the sense (if you could call it that) to try his
>stunt from the roof of his uncles barn.   The technique  didn't work  for Liddy
>(who spent  several months  in the  hospital) any better than it would have for
>Quetzalcoatlus Northropi, which outweighed Liddy by about 100 lbs.

	But it *does* work for the larger Vultures(how many times have
yoy even *seen* a Condor, let alone watched one take off?).  Mr Liddy
didn't have the advantage of fantastically light bones like birds and
pterosaurs. Also, he probably was using the wrong wing proportions.
This is where the thrice mentioned *low* stall speed calcualated for
these animals becomes important, it is what allows this to work.

--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (pam pincha) (09/20/85)

In article <395@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:
............(a series of ramblings on why gliding can't be applied
		to the pterydactles question)

>     Now, we've  all seen vultures take off from low ground by simply spreading
>their wings and ascending  into the  rising heat  waves coming  off the ground,
>haven't we?

Actually if one watches the gliders amoung the birds these accusations
still are wrong. Take albatrosses for, instance. Walking is not one of
their strong points, in fact they are notoriously awkward on the ground
(hence their nickname -"gooney birds). They only require a step or two
and a spread of their wings to catch wind and thermals. Little or no
flapping is needed. (Come to think of it there's nothing to keep
pterydactls from a flap or two either.) This is espcially true when
they are floating on water. They don't get a running start there.
Yet they are amoung the best gliders in the bird world.

As for vultures, they don't fly much after they've eaten. They also
just spread their wings, give a short step or two, and jump into a
bit of the wind and fly (have seen them in the hot Texas country side). I have
also seen seagulls do the same -- without flapping--just picking up a
5 mile an hour breeze. (It's even more fun in storms-- they fly backwards
then ).

I suggest a little intensive bird watching.

P.M.Pincha-Wagener

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (09/22/85)

>               2.   Any  creature  which  could  only  glide  would have no
>                    home.  Its life would be a  continual migration  in the
>                    direction of  the prevailing  winds.  How then would it
>                    care for its young, back at the nest?

You seem to believe that gliders can only glide downwind.  Wrong.

The small airplanes I'm taking lessons on can glide when the engine
fails.  The emergency procedure for dealing with engine failure (when
they happen at a high enough altitude), involves picking a field to
land on, gliding downwind past the field, and doing two 90 degree
turns.  The second one, toward the field, is a turn directly into the
wind.  I've actually practiced these, so I know they're possible.
--
David Canzi

ACCUSE, v. t. To affirm another's guilt or unworth; most commonly as a
justification of ourselves for having wronged him.  (Ambrose Bierce)

mikel@codas.UUCP (Mikel Manitius) (10/04/85)

> >               2.   Any  creature  which  could  only  glide  would have no
> >                    home.  Its life would be a  continual migration  in the
> >                    direction of  the prevailing  winds.  How then would it
> >                    care for its young, back at the nest?
>
> You seem to believe that gliders can only glide downwind.  Wrong.
>
> The small airplanes I'm taking lessons on can glide when the engine
> fails.  The emergency procedure for dealing with engine failure (when
> they happen at a high enough altitude), involves picking a field to
> land on, gliding downwind past the field, and doing two 90 degree
> turns.  The second one, toward the field, is a turn directly into the
> wind.  I've actually practiced these, so I know they're possible.
> --
> David Canzi
>
> ACCUSE, v. t. To affirm another's guilt or unworth; most commonly as a
> justification of ourselves for having wronged him.  (Ambrose Bierce)

Gliding upwind is quite common, while in the Swiss Alps this summer, I
watched, on two occasions, a glider makeing it's way through a very high
pass (12000'+ | ~4km), and it was doing so upwind, circiling around down
wind until it could gain enough altitude to pass. Fascinating view!
--
                                        =======
     Mikel Manitius                   ==----=====    AT&T