[net.origins] mammoths in the arctic

ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) (10/10/85)

My apologies to anyone who has seen this article more than once.  We've
been having major problems with usenet in the D.C. area.  Since Sept. 15,
when the CVL computer at U. Md. was taken down with no warning to anyone
below it on usenet (which is most of the D.C. area), very little has
gotten through one way or the other.  For awhile, it will be difficult to
tell what has gotten through and what hasn't.

     Where would  you go  to look for mammoth bones?  As good a place as any
would be the Liakhov and Novo Sibirsk islands, which lie between Siberia and
the polar ice cap.  D. Gath Whitley, in an article titled "The Ivory Islands
in the Arctic Ocean" in the  Journal of  the Philosophical  Society of Great
Britain, wrote the following concerning the Liakhovs:

     Such  was  the  enormous  quantity  of  mammoth  remains that it seemed
     ... that the island was  actually composed  of the  bones and  tusks of
     elephants, cemented together by icy sand.

The same  is true  of all of the Liakhov and Novo Sibirsk islands.  There is
no question of man having killed  all  these  mammoths  off;    humans don't
inhabit the  area.  Novo Sibirsk and the Liakhovs are a frozen wasteland for
all but two  months  of  the  year,  during  which  they  are  a semi-frozen
wasteland.  The real question is, "How in the world did elephants live there
to begin with?".

     Most scholars,  (who  have  never  really  thought  about  the problems
involved), see  the mammoths  with their  woolly coats  and figure they must
have had an easy time living in ice and snow.  But that is rubbish.   No fur
coat of any kind would prevent any creature from starving, which is all that
would happen to any kind of  elephant  which  were  to  parachute  into Novo
Sibirsk today.  In fact, amongst the creatures which have good fur coats and
would not last a single day  in Novo  Sibirsk in  winter, one  could mention
lions, leopards, gorillas, chimps, orangs, AND the woolly mammoth.

     Elephants require  a great  quantity of leaves to eat, EVERY DAY OF THE
YEAR, and they aren't terribly good  at walking  huge distances  to find it.
Therefore, you  only find  them in  tropical zones.  There is no possibility
that an  elephant could  survive the  winter in  Va. or Md.,  much less Novo
Sibirsk.  To  do so,  he would have to either make it on pine needles and/or
dead leaves, or hibernate;  there is no way.  If a road  from India  to Novo
Sibirsk were  opened, no  elephant foolish  enough to take it would ever get
there;  he would  perish in  the Russian  winter far  short of  the promised
land.

     Immanuel  Velikovsky's  scenario  in  which  the  mammoths  were living
peacefully  in  their  tropical  forrest  until  it  became  an  arctic zone
overnight,  so  quickly  in  fact,  that  some  of their bodies froze before
decomposing at all and remain thus  perfectly preserved  today, is  the only
scenario possible  for these creatures.  Given the uniformitarian version of
the earth's history, no mammoth bones would ever have been  found in  such a
place.

     The pictures  and displays  which science  presents of mammoths walking
around in ice and snow, are actually more  properly suited  to the  realm of
psychadelia, pink  dancing elephants,  Dr. Timothy Leary etc.  The next time
any of you see such a display in a museum, rather than saying to the exhibit
director:

     "I  say,  you  chaps  must  keep  on  your  toes, to know so much about
     creatures which perished so long ago."

which is what he expects to hear, say:

     "HEY MAN, what you been SMOKIN, to have dreamed THAT **** up?"

which is what he deserves to hear.

pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (pam pincha) (10/14/85)

In article <428@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:

>     Where would  you go  to look for mammoth bones?  As good a place as any
>would be the Liakhov and Novo Sibirsk islands, which lie between Siberia and
>the polar ice cap.

Actually, there are several places in the US that I would go looking
for mammoth bones. Washington state is a good place (I have helped
excavated two such sites, one skeleton is in the Burke museum at
University of Washington in Seattle (contact Dr. John Rensberger
for info).The other was recovered when I was at Western Washington
University in Bellingham Washington (contact Dr. Don Easterbrook
for mor information). A documented mastodon kill site was uncovered
at a site in Sequim Washington (contact Dr.Carl Gustafson,Washington
State University --Manis dig).
Then of course, I know of several really good areas in the
limestone sinkholes of Florida! Where several full or nearly full
skeletons have been unearthed. Add Texas to the list, as well as
several other US states --(oh and don't forget Canada -- near
the Us border as well as the Arctic).

>  D. Gath Whitley, in an article titled "The Ivory Islands
>in the Arctic Ocean" in the  Journal of  the Philosophical  Society of Great
>Britain, wrote the following concerning the Liakhovs:
>
>     Such  was  the  enormous  quantity  of  mammoth  remains that it seemed
>     ... that the island was  actually composed  of the  bones and  tusks of
>     elephants, cemented together by icy sand.
>
>The same  is true  of all of the Liakhov and Novo Sibirsk islands.  There is
>no question of man having killed  all  these  mammoths  off;    humans don't
>inhabit the  area.  Novo Sibirsk and the Liakhovs are a frozen wasteland for
>all but two  months  of  the  year,  during  which  they  are  a semi-frozen
>wasteland.  The real question is, "How in the world did elephants live there
>to begin with?".
>
>     Most scholars,  (who  have  never  really  thought  about  the problems
>involved), see  the mammoths  with their  woolly coats  and figure they must
>have had an easy time living in ice and snow.  But that is rubbish.   No fur
>coat of any kind would prevent any creature from starving, which is all that
>would happen to any kind of  elephant  which  were  to  parachute  into Novo
>Sibirsk today.  In fact, amongst the creatures which have good fur coats and
>would not last a single day  in Novo  Sibirsk in  winter, one  could mention
>lions, leopards, gorillas, chimps, orangs, AND the woolly mammoth.

(Sigh. Why is it that the uninformed public believe that science is
based on just single facts or conjectures?(-:)

Arctic Mammoth (and Mastodon) survival characteristics:

	1) average of 3 INCHES of subcutaneous fat
	 only seen in the cold weather forms--not
	 seen in modern elephants

	2) 2 -layered wool coat (similar to Arctic musk oxen)
	     layer 1 - soft thick wooolen down close to
	               skin, high in lanolin,very warm
		(Note: this is also seen in the muskoxen
			wool which is highly prized in the
			Seattle area for maximum amont of
			warmth with the least amont of wool)
	     layer 2 - thick overlying thatch of hair that
			is very water resistent
		(Note:This is another common feature of
			arctic and winter adaptation--
			Even my 1/2 coyote pet has the
			same adaptation for the winters
			around here -- and he sleeps
			comfortably outside in below freezing
			snowy weather.)

	3)Smaller ears and trunks than modern elephants
		(Note; a perfect adaptation for cutting
		 down body heat loss)

	4) Environment preferred by arctic types-
		steppes (arid grasslands, typified by loess soils and
		extreme temperature range.)
		(Note:The preferrence for tough tundra and steppe
		type vegetation is reflected in the diferences in the
		dentition(tooth structure) between the more arctic
		(grasslands) mammoths and the more forest dwelling
		mastodons (which is also reflected in the site
		environments of these two fossil types.))

These are all difinitive features needed for living in the
environments attributed to these types. These are all different
from modern proboscidean forms. Mammoths and mastodons
ARE NOT ELEPHANTS -- they are elephant relatives! Especially
the mastodons -- whose skeleton and especially teeth have
significant differences!

Now as for size (A point commonly brought up in hunting
discussion):
-------	Mammoths averaged only around 10-11 feet during their
	heyday. Individuals as large as 14 1/2 feet high at the
	shoulders were more the exception than the norm.

	Furthermore, in areas where the environment showed
	significant reduction of their normal environment
	there was a tendancy towards dwarfism(more a response
	of decreasing the demand on the remaining environmental
	resources than a change in the species -- This was occurring
	 at the time man was entering the area, thereby making
	hunting them less incredible than one might think.)
	extreme temperature range)

------- Mastodons were generally smaller than mastodons, around
	7-8 feet at the shoulder.

Other facts:

In the New world there were
		4 species of mammoths (All in the
			colder North American continent-
			mainly in the grasslands)
		4 species of mastodons (Only 1 species in the
			North American Continent - found in
			conifer areas (Florida,Texas and rest
			of southern portions just after the
			glacial period, further north later
			such as Washington)-- all the rest
			are in the warmer conifer and forested
			areas of South America.)

>     Elephants require  a great  quantity of leaves to eat, EVERY DAY OF THE
>YEAR, and they aren't terribly good  at walking  huge distances  to find it.
>Therefore, you  only find  them in  tropical zones.  There is no possibility
>that an  elephant could  survive the  winter in  Va. or Md.,  much less Novo
>Sibirsk.  To  do so,  he would have to either make it on pine needles and/or
>dead leaves, or hibernate;  there is no way.  If a road  from India  to Novo
>Sibirsk were  opened, no  elephant foolish  enough to take it would ever get
>there;  he would  perish in  the Russian  winter far  short of  the promised
>land.

I wouldn't expect an elephant to live in the areas you just pointed out,
but a mommoth or mastodon I have no doubts. Just like I'd expect a musk
oxen or a yak to survive, or an arctic rabbit, ptarmigarn etc.etc.etc to
survive. They are well adapted to the area.

>     Immanuel  Velikovsky's  scenario  in  which  the  mammoths  were living
>peacefully  in  their  tropical  forrest  until  it  became  an  arctic zone
>overnight,  so  quickly  in  fact,  that  some  of their bodies froze before
>decomposing at all and remain thus  perfectly preserved  today, is  the only
>scenario possible  for these creatures.  Given the uniformitarian version of
>the earth's history, no mammoth bones would ever have been  found in  such a
>place.

The factor that keeps being overlooked when discussing arctic finds
is the nature of permafrost and soil production in the arctic. To
begin with there is very little soil production in the arctic. This
leads to very thin soil cover over the permafrost. Anything that dies
in such an environment -- especially if it getshave to go system going
down.:wq

kurtzman@uscvax.UUCP (Stephen Kurtzman) (10/16/85)

In article <428@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:

>     Immanuel  Velikovsky's  scenario  in  which  the  mammoths  were living
>peacefully  in  their  tropical  forrest  until  it  became  an  arctic zone
>overnight,  so  quickly  in  fact,  that  some  of their bodies froze before
>decomposing at all and remain thus  perfectly preserved  today, is  the only
                                                                     ^^^^^^^^
>scenario possible  for these creatures. ...
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>     The pictures  and displays  which science  presents of mammoths walking
>around in ice and snow, are actually more  properly suited  to the  realm of
>psychadelia, pink  dancing elephants,  Dr. Timothy Leary etc.  The next time
>any of you see such a display in a museum, rather than saying to the exhibit
>director:
>
>     "I  say,  you  chaps  must  keep  on  your  toes, to know so much about
>     creatures which perished so long ago."
>
>which is what he expects to hear, say:
>
>     "HEY MAN, what you been SMOKIN, to have dreamed THAT **** up?"
>
>which is what he deserves to hear.

It is funny that this man thinks that popular depictions of how things
may have been are science. Pictures of wooly mammoths trudging around
in the snow are speculations based on scientifically studied data. But that
is not the real point that I am posting this follow-up. This crackpot
regularly spouts religion based creationism and blind speculation as "the
only scenario possible". As a thinking human being I resent the way this man
denegrates scientific theories by questioning the notion of proof (in a
unfounded speculation is the "only scenario possible".

To this man science needs some precise and infallible method of proof in
order to find truth. Since this doesn't exist (here comes the non-sequiter)
the scientific method must fail when there is a conflict between what a
scientist theorizes and what he believes/has faith in/hopes to be true.
In effect, what this man is doing is rejecting reasoned discourse for
superstition and wild speculation. I suppose he was disillusioned when he
found out that science is a human endeavor and hence subject human failures.
Now he can rest assured that in superstition and wild speculation he has
found the truth and authority that science failed to provide.

Let us all hope that he writes the science textbooks our children will use
in their formative years :-) (if he does 8-O would be a more appropriate
face).

p.s. sorry for the flame, but the devil made me do it.