[net.origins] philosophy of science & creationism

torek@umich.UUCP (Paul V. Torek ) (10/16/85)

In article <46@utastro.UUCP> bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) writes:
>NOTHING in science can ever be definitely proven.  If you don't understand
>this, you don't understand science.
>
>On the other hand, if an idea can't be shot down in principle, it's not
>science.  The existence of black holes, just as evolution, the ancient
>age of the earth, and all the other assertions of science that Creationists
>object to, could in principle be shot down scientifically, given the
>appropriate evidence. [...]

So far, so good.

>NOTHING could in principle ever disprove your assertion that "what we observe
>in nature is...the effect God has had on nature, namely, creationism".

I'm an agnostic, but in fairness to atheists, I wouldn't rule out the possi-
bility of disproving that assertion -- it might be done by proving that God
does not exist.  But more to the point, you have understated creationism.
It doesn't just say that "whatever is in nature, God created it".  It says
"certain things (e.g. evolution, a multibillion-year-old earth, etc.) ARE
NOT in nature".  That statement is falsifiable -- and falsified!

>I object to teaching of Creationism in the public schools because it is
>not science, but pretends to be science.  It's pseudoscience.
>	Bill Jefferys  8-%

I object to it because though it is the kind of theory that can be tested
by science, it is false; i.e. there is plenty of evidence against it.

--Paul V Torek, upping the ante				torek@umich

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (10/20/85)

I wrote:

>>NOTHING could in principle ever disprove your assertion that "what we observe
>>in nature is...the effect God has had on nature, namely, creationism".

To which Paul Torek responded:

>I'm an agnostic, but in fairness to atheists, I wouldn't rule out the possi-
>bility of disproving that assertion -- it might be done by proving that God
>does not exist.

I don't see any way that metaphysical assertions about the existence or
nonexistence of God (or the Damager-God, for that matter :-) can ever be
proven.  Correct me if I am wrong, but how could one establish the truth
or falsehood of such propositions?

>But more to the point, you have understated creationism.
>It doesn't just say that "whatever is in nature, God created it".  It says
>"certain things (e.g. evolution, a multibillion-year-old earth, etc.) ARE
>NOT in nature".  That statement is falsifiable -- and falsified!

I agree that from the point of view of science, these assertions have
been falsified.  But I don't think that the issue.  To me the issue is
whether Creationists sidestep such falsifications when they arise by
resorting to the unfalsifiable hypothesis of an omnipotent God.  I
claim that they do.  Thus, although these assertions have been falsified
from a scientific point of view, according to the logic of "Scientific
Creationism" they cannot be falsified.  Therefore, I conclude that
"Scientific Creationism" is not a science. Since it is claimed that
"Scientific Creationism" is a science, I furthermore conclude that it
is a pseudoscience.

Consider the age of the universe, for example.  To me as an astronomer,
the fact that we can observe the light from objects billions of light
years away is strong evidence of the ancientness of the universe.
But consider what Henry Morris says (*Scientific Creationism*, p. 209)
in addressing this very point:

	(b) Appearance of Age

	Another point important to recognize is that the creation
	was "mature" from its birth.  It did not have to grow or
	develop from simple beginnings.  God formed it full-grown
	in every respect, including even Adam and Eve as mature
	individuals when they were first formed.  The whole universe
	had an "appearance of age" right from the start.  It could
	not have been otherwise for true creation to have taken
	place.  "Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and
	all the host of them" (Genesis 2:1).

	This fact means that the light from the sun, moon and stars
	was shining upon the earth as soon as they were created, since
	their very purpose was "...to give light on the earth"
	(Genesis 1:17).  As a matter of fact, it is possible that
	these light-waves traversing space from the heavenly bodies
	to the earth were energized even *before* the heavenly
	bodies themselves in order to provide the light for the first
	three days.  It was certainly no more difficult for God to
	form the light-waves than the "light-bearers" which would
	be established to serve as future generators of those waves.

Morris has constructed a "bulletproof" position, impervious to any
falsification by observational evidence.  His argument is known as
the "omphalos" (navel) argument, after the medieval question whether
Adam and Eve had navels.  It was asserted that God created Adam and
Eve fully formed with navels, just as Morris claims God created the
light from distant stars fully formed "in flight" towards the Earth,
before He even created the stars themselves.

The assertion "what we observe in nature is...the effect God has had
on nature, namely, creationism" is really no different from this.  Such
an "explanation" is, of course, a non-explanation from the point of
view of science, but under the peculiar logic of Creationism it is
unassailable.

--
Glend.	I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hot.	Why, so can I, or so can any man; But will they come when you

	Bill Jefferys  8-%
	Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712   (USnail)
	{allegra,ihnp4}!{ut-sally,noao}!utastro!bill	(UUCP)
	bill@astro.UTEXAS.EDU.				(Internet)