[net.origins] creation or evolution in schools

colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (10/10/85)

> I say, let them keep their kids out.  If creationism is so obviously wrong,
> they'll realize this in college (or wherever they run into evolution as
> adults).  For the most part, it doesn't matter anyway.  If not knowing
> evolution is so advantageous, people will begin to realize this and will
> back away from hardline creationism.
>
> And if it isn't, then, maybe it isn't all that important to teach it in
> school.

Of course it's not.  What difference does it make to kids whether
they're descended from Eve and Adam or Java Man?  Will this "knowledge"
help them get jobs as surgeons or stevedores?  Will they feel better
believing that their great-grandparents a thousand times removed were
simians or sinners?  Will they hang their parlor walls with pictures
of a naked couple or an orangutan?

Schools don't teach what's actual or important, they just teach what
they can.

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (10/15/85)

>> I say, let them keep their kids out.  If creationism is so obviously wrong,
>> they'll realize this in college (or wherever they run into evolution as
>> adults).  For the most part, it doesn't matter anyway.  If not knowing
>> evolution is so advantageous, people will begin to realize this and will
>> back away from hardline creationism.
>>
>> And if it isn't, then, maybe it isn't all that important to teach it in
>> school.
>
>Of course it's not.  What difference does it make to kids whether
>they're descended from Eve and Adam or Java Man?  Will this "knowledge"
>help them get jobs as surgeons or stevedores?  Will they feel better
>believing that their great-grandparents a thousand times removed were
>simians or sinners?  Will they hang their parlor walls with pictures
>of a naked couple or an orangutan?
>
>Schools don't teach what's actual or important, they just teach what
>they can. -- Col. Sicherman

    First, creation does not necessarily contradict evolution. Only those
    misguided religionists who insist on placing their dogma into scientific
    texts are at fault. If they do that, we must also include Shiva, Baal..

    Science is knowledge derived by analysis of the hard physical evidence,
    not teleological explanations or interpretations, and is consequently
    sharable by those of all religious traditions.

    For that matter, a balanced presentation of all the planet's religious
    and spiritual traditions (not in science class, of course) might go a
    long way towards understanding of other cultures.

    As to the value of teaching evolution:

    If more people realized the huge amount of time it took nature
    took to make us, they might be less reluctant to increase the
    technology of destruction that threatens not only ourselves
    and our brothers and sisters, but our `mother' (nature) as well.

    If the human race cannot save itself from its own technology, then we
    SHOULD leave this planet fit for those superior species that survive us.
    Any future intelligence to take our place would surely see the moving
    lesson behind an intelligence that, though unable to control its
    suicidal compulsion, at least loved life enough to protect the
    innocents.

    		    khronos ouketi estai

-michael

kurtzman@uscvax.UUCP (Stephen Kurtzman) (10/16/85)

In article <2363@sunybcs.UUCP> colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) writes:
>> I say, let them keep their kids out.  If creationism is so obviously wrong,
>> they'll realize this in college (or wherever they run into evolution as
>> adults).  For the most part, it doesn't matter anyway.  If not knowing
>> evolution is so advantageous, people will begin to realize this and will
>> back away from hardline creationism.
>>
>> And if it isn't, then, maybe it isn't all that important to teach it in
>> school.
>
>Of course it's not.  What difference does it make to kids whether
>they're descended from Eve and Adam or Java Man?  Will this "knowledge"
>help them get jobs as surgeons or stevedores?  Will they feel better
>believing that their great-grandparents a thousand times removed were
>simians or sinners?  Will they hang their parlor walls with pictures
>of a naked couple or an orangutan?
>
>Schools don't teach what's actual or important, they just teach what
>they can.

Re: they'll realize this in college.

How marvelous an idea. Lets teach children things that are not true (such as
creationism is science) and let them figure it out for themselves if they
ever need to. Does something sound wrong in this argument? But supposing
that to be a valid view, take into consideration the fact that
only about 33% of the population has attended college (only 20% graduate
with a four year degree). Of those that attend college how many will take a
biology class where evolution is taught? Under this type of shortsighted
policy we could very well wind up with over 90% of the population believing
that creationism is part of science. That is a repugnant thought.

Re: Importance of teaching evolution and/or creationism

Teaching evolution is not as important as not teaching creationism as
science. Every science class I had in high school and jr. high (6 years
worth) started by explaining what the scientific method is and how it works.
Concepts such as observation, hypothesis, experimentation, and validation
were taught as the bases of science. Where does creationism fit into this?
Teaching an article of faith, such as creationism as science debases science
and gives a student a very warped view of what scientific inquiry really is.

Not teaching evolution is a mistake. By avoiding a scientific theory because
it is controversial we are teaching our children that there is good science
and bad science and that the demarcation criterion is whether or not
politicians and preachers feel threatened by it. Do we really want
to teach this sort of hogwash? Do we really want religionists to determine
what questions science can ask? Do we really want to teach our children that
certain answers to scientific questions are taboo?

In article <2363@sunybcs.UUCP> Col. G. L. Sicherman writes

>Of course it's not.  What difference does it make to kids whether
>they're descended from Eve and Adam or Java Man?  Will this "knowledge"
>help them get jobs as surgeons or stevedores?  Will they feel better
>believing that their great-grandparents a thousand times removed were
>simians or sinners?  Will they hang their parlor walls with pictures
>of a naked couple or an orangutan?
>
>Schools don't teach what's actual or important, they just teach what
>they can.

	This applies only if you think education has the *sole*
purpose of preparing a person for a job. If this is the case then why
even bother teaching science except to those who intend to make a
career of it? But perhaps education might have some other purposes.
like teaching people to *think*, or providing some general
understanding of the nature of the world we all live in. In that model
there is a place for science in general education, and if science is
to be taught it should be taught as accurately as possible.
Evolutionary theory is central to much of modern biology, to leave it
out is to emasculate the whole science.
	What I would hope would come out of teaching biology as a
part of a general education would be a greater understanding of our
natural world and of our close connection with it. As unique as we are
we are *still* animals and subject to the same natural "laws" as other
animals. By understanding that the animals are our brothers we might
get to a place were we can live on this planet without destroying it.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa