[net.origins] What was the breviparopus?

ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) (10/17/85)

My apologies to anyone who has seen this article more than once.  We
experienced major problems with usenet in the D.C. area around Sept. 15,
when the CVL computer at U. Md. was taken down with no warning to anyone
below it on usenet (which is most of the D.C. area).  For about three weeks,
nothing got through one way or the other, and all of our postings were
presumed lost.

It is well known that most dinosaurs are known only by their tracks, that
we have the bones of less than half of them.  The Avon Field Guide to
Dinosaurs describes tracks found in Morocco of a creature much larger than
even the ultrasaur, which I like to talk about.  This creature was the
breviparopus, and the tracks indicate he was 160 feet long.  Using the 1.6
to 1 ratio, cubed, and the 100 to 150 ton weight estimates for the ultrasaur,
it would seem that the breviparopus weighed between 800,000 and 1,200,000
lbs.  Does anybody believe that such a thing could exist in our gravity?

A co-worker of mine has a theory as to how a Texas pterosaur, or Quetzalcoatlus
Northropi could have lived in our gravity, assuming that the breviparopus also
could have.  This would have involved a symbiotic relationship between the
two in which, for a reasonable fee, the breviparopus would use its mighty
tail to HURL the pterosaur up into the thermal currents, where it could
resume its gliding.  This theory makes more sense to me than anything I have
seen from the UT astro dept. concerning pterosaurs.  I would like to suggest
that anyone who cannot live with my theory regarding lesser gravity consider
this theory as an alternative.

beth@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (JB) (10/21/85)

[I'll take 2 to go, please]

From: ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden), Message-ID: <435@imsvax.UUCP>:
>A co-worker of mine has a theory as to how a Texas pterosaur, or
>Quetzalcoatlus Northropi could have lived in our gravity, assuming that
>the breviparopus also could have.  This would have involved a symbiotic
>relationship between the two in which, for a reasonable fee, the
>breviparopus would use its mighty tail to HURL the pterosaur up into the
>thermal currents, where it could resume its gliding.  This theory makes
>more sense to me than anything I have seen from the UT astro dept.
>concerning pterosaurs.  I would like to suggest that anyone who cannot
>live with my theory regarding lesser gravity consider this theory as an
>alternative.

SOLD!!  I like this theory best too.  Forget the celestial ring-around-
the-stellar nonsense, and those boring ol' calculations of power-to-
weight, I vote for Animal Antics.  Viva Symbiosis!
--

--JB        (Beth Christy, U. of Chicago, ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!beth)

"What if the after-effect of the terrible bomb is unusual beyond belief?
 Wouldn't you rather the whole population had listened to somebody like
    the old Indian chief?"   (The Roches)

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (10/22/85)

In article <435@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:

>My apologies to anyone who has seen this article more than once.

I think you should extend the apologies to those who see your
articles even one time.  The amusement value is gone, and no
other value has replaced it.  I'm going to look into the "rn"
manual to find out about "local kill files".  Hasta la bye-bye.
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

In article <435@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:

>  This creature was the
>breviparopus, and the tracks indicate he was 160 feet long.  Using the 1.6
>to 1 ratio, cubed, and the 100 to 150 ton weight estimates for the ultrasaur,
>it would seem that the breviparopus weighed between 800,000 and 1,200,000
>lbs.  Does anybody believe that such a thing could exist in our gravity?

	Yes, I see no reason why it couldn't. Besides your assumptions
in estimating the weight are questionable. The "ultrasaur" was a
brachiosaurid, and was thus among the heavier sauropods in terms of
bulk. If the Breviparopus were a diplodocid it would be considerably
lighter in build, and thus the square-cube law would *not* apply.

>A co-worker of mine has a theory as to how a Texas pterosaur, or Quetzalcoatlus
>Northropi could have lived in our gravity, assuming that the breviparopus also
>could have.  This would have involved a symbiotic relationship between the
>two in which, for a reasonable fee, the breviparopus would use its mighty
>tail to HURL the pterosaur up into the thermal currents, where it could
>resume its gliding.

	Well, except that they did not live at the same time!!
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa