[net.origins] numerous responses

ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) (10/20/85)

     As anyone  can see, I am outnumbered something like 50 to 1 on net.origins.
Two or three of my recent postings have drawn so much fire  that I  simply don't
have the  time to  respond to  each of these articles separately.  I am going to
try to reply to most of  the points  being raised  at one  time here.   The only
completely reasonable  article in  all of  these was  Pat Wyant's, so I'll start
with his first:

                              AGES of ROCKS ETC.

>   According to S. Gould (of Punctuated Equilibria fame), Darwin was advised
>by T.H. Huxley not to make any mention about the time scales required to
>realize evolution.  Both a gradual or uniformitarian course and a catastrophic
>or sudden moments of evolution were considered.  Huxley felt that there wasn't
>sufficient evidence to decide which way evolution proceeded, and Darwin would
>be putting forth an unsupportable hypothesis by suggesting a time scale along
>with the driving mechanisms for evolution (natural selection, competition for
>food and reproduction).

>   Darwin decided to publish by attaching gradualism and uniformity to
>evolution in part because such concepts (gradualism and uniformity) were
>firmly rooted in the culture and religion of the times.  The theory of
>evolution using punctuated equilibria would seem to be an updated and modified
>rendition of one possible evolutionary course that Darwin considered but then
>rejected.

     Immanuel Velikovsky  invented  the  "punctuated  equilibria"  notion of
evolution  (he  called  it  "catastrophic  evolution")  in  1950, and anyone
interested in this should, by all means, have a copy of "Earth  in Upheaval"
on his  shelf.   However, pure  Velikovskian theories involve such a frontal
assault on what I  would call  the religious  tenets of  modern science, and
such a  large-scale invasion  of scientific  "turf" by  an outsider to those
turfs, that the American scientific community at large  has never  been able
to hold  rational discussions on these topics;  their reaction to Velikovsky
has  always  been  visceral.    Nonetheless,  anyone  who  studies  fossils,
including  Gould,   has  noticed  the  same  basic  truth  which  Velikovsky
describes;  that there  simply  ARE  no  intermediate  forms,  and  that the
changes in  fossil records  going from one geological epoch to another occur
as if, at each such change,  "a curtain  had been  drawn in  a  play   and a
complete new cast of characters presented when the curtain was raised again"
(Velikovsky's words).

     In like manner, Clube and Napier of the British Royal Observatory, in
their book "The Cosmic Serpent", report on the  like obvious  fact of global
catastrophes (obvious  to anyone  who has  read much  in the  way of ancient
literature) which Velikovsky describes in "Worlds in Collision".   Gould, as
well  as  Clube  and  Napier,  are  essentially  trying  to sell versions of
Velikovsky's  theories  which  are  sufficiently  watered-down   for  public
consumption,  the  public  here  being  scientists.  Now, I don't believe in
doing anything half-way or in watered-down versions of ANYTHING.  If nothing
else, "Earth  in Upheaval"  presents a believable explanation for punctuated
equilibria and Gould, to my knowledge, doesn't.

     It  turns  out,  that  some  of  the  major   "punctuation"  marks  are
discernable,  and  include  the  disaster  which  Louis  and  Walter Alverez
postulate as  having ended  the age  of dinosaurs,  as well  as the Noachian
Deluge, which  most scientists still wrongly regard as a fairy-tale.  Of the
later, Ovid writes:

     "Therefore when fires
     Of newly wakened sun turned towards the earth
     Where waters still receded from her sides,
     All living things in multitudes of being,
     Became her progeny once more.  Some were
     Of ancient lineage and colors
     And others were mysterious and new.

     So it seems that Ovid had  no problems  with the  notion of "punctuated
equilibrium", though  something much  closer to  Velikovsky's version of it.
Ovid claims, three or four lines down, that:  "The  latest of  new creatures
was the  serpent", and it is interesting to note that the authors of Genesis
also thought it necessary to EXPLAIN  serpents ("upon  thy belly  shalt thou
(henceforth)  go......").     Now,  catastrophic  evolution  (or  punctuated
equilibria, your choice), applies to human-kind as well as to lower animals.
So much  radiation was  unleashed during  the flood  that few human children
born shortly thereafter were looking completely like their  parents, and the
strangest case  of all  was Noah's grandson Canaan.  This story gets exactly
one sentence (Gen. 9:25) in the  Old  Testament,  although  a  more complete
version of  the tale may be found in Louis Ginzberg's "Legends of the Jews";
it is essentially a tale of catastrophic evolution applied to humans.

Next Case,  Matt Crawford's article:

>You should check into your facts, Ted.  In the past the cosmologists
>have had much younger ages for the universe than the geologists had
>for the earth.  The geologists have always turned out to be correct.
>Their ages were based on physical processes which were much better
>understood than the astronomical objects used to measure the universe.

     Sorry Matt, but no thinking person could buy this line of reasoning.   The
cosmologists have at their disposal, as Archimedes would have said, a lever and
a place on which  to stand  i.e. something  other than  theories to  work with.
They  have  measurable  distances,  measurable  properties of light, measurable
radio emissions  etc.  and  sooner  or  later  would  have  arrived  at correct
conclusions  regarding  the  universe  as  a  whole, with or without geologists
around.  There are many things which argue against the notion of geologists and
paleontologists having  a "better  understanding" of anything than cosmologists
do:  their (paleontologists) gullible acceptance of Piltdown creatures (man and
chicken),  the  obvious  huge  differences  in  the  ages assigned to things by
geologists and  anthropologists in  instances in  which the  techniques of both
disciplines are applicable, the obviously false theory of ice-ages etc.

>>          In  ancient
>>          literature, there are  numerous  stories  which  clearly describe
>>          cosmic violence  on a  global scale, something which nobody could
>>          take seriously while taking  uniformitarianism  seriously  at the
>>          same time.
>
>How many of these stories were written by eyewitnesses?  How many
>were even supposed to have taken place during the writer's lifetime?
>We have many stories of global catastrophe in current literature.
>What makes the ancient stories more valid than the newer ones?

     Some of  these stories  were committed  to paper (at least in the works in
which we know them now) centuries after they occurred.  However, at least a few
of these were eye-witness accounts.  Take the prophet Isaiah, for instance, and
the relatively minor (although  still  global  scale)  catastrophes  which were
occurring in his time:

     Isaiah  1:9    Except  the  Lord  of  hosts  had left unto us a very small
     remnant, we should have been as Sodom, and we should  have been  like unto
     Gomorrah.

     Anyone think  he's talking  about a minor flood or an outbreak of measles?
Read a little further then:

     Isaiah 2:19  And they shall go up into the  holes of  the rocks,  and into
     the caves  of the  earth, for  fear of  the Lord, and for the glory of his
     majesty, when he ariseth to shake terribly the earth.

     Isaiah is talking about something very  strange here:   people  hiding out
from an  earthquake.  This would make no sense in our world;  we get no warning
of major earthquakes.  However, if the cause of the  earthquake is  right there
in the  night sky  for everyone  to see,  with a  predictable estimated time of
arrival.......

     Finally, consider the true gem of the book  of Isaiah,  chapter 14, verses
12 through 21, more or less:

     "How art  thou fallen  from heaven,  O Lucifer, son of the morning (light-
     bearer, morning star)!  How art thou cut down to  the ground,  which didst
     weaken the  nations....  They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee,
     and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble,
     that  did  shake  kingdoms;    That  made  the  world  as a wilderness and
     destroyed the cities thereof.....

     This was a hymn of thanksgiving for Venus's having finally  settled into a
stable orbit  which no longer threatened the earth.  Isaiah not an eye-witness?
You'd better think again.

>>               ...  I HATE to
>>               see  "scientists"  get  away  with  portraying  Plato, Ovid,
>>               Hesiod, Solon, Socrates, the  authors of  the Old Testament,
>>               and, generally, every ancient author who ever wrote anything
>>               about origins in this  manner,  because  they  are  dead and
>>               thus unable to defend themselves.
>
>Do you mean to imply that we must take as truth anything written by
>any dead person, because they are unable to answer our refutation?
>If so, then may I suggest a way for you to make your arguments more
>convincing?

     Do You mean by joining Piotr Berman on one of his bullshit elephant hunts?
Sorry, I may be strange, but I'm not stupid.

Next case, Wayne Throop:

>As I've said before, it seems quite reasonable to me that even very
>large sauropods could get around.  There are far more problems with
>lessened gravity than with unwieldy sauropods.  For one trivial example,
>note that the weight estimates are made consistent with depth of tracks
>(among other factors).  If the gravity was lesser, why did physical
>phenomena other than animal size not reflect it?  That is, why didn't
>tracks and other physical evidence show that things in general were
>pressed less forcefully against the ground?

     I've noticed over the years, that the depth of my own footprints varies in
near total accordance with how wet or how  dry the  ground is.   I  have a very
hard time seeing how any judgments concerning dinosaur weights could be made
from depths  of tracks unless the scientists involved had a time-machine to see
how wet it was on the day the  tracks were  made.   I would  appreciate further
clarifications on this one, Wayne.

                                   ELEPHANTS

From Chris Lewis's recent flame:

>No large animals in Siberia Ted?  Ever heard of a Polar bear?  Siberian
>Tiger?  Caribou?  Arctic wolves?  Reindeer?  Bears?  Has it ever
>occurred to you that a Woolly Mammoth was woolly precisely because it
>was COLD?  In fact, they probably couldn't survive long in warmer
>climates because they would overheat (remember the volume/surface area
>calculations you were so fond of?)

     My understanding of the basic food chain in the far north is that plankton
live with no need for warmth,  little fish  eat plankton,  big fish  eat little
fish, penguins,  seals, and eskimos eat big fish, polar bears and killer whales
eat all of above except plankton.   Elephants  don't figure  into any  of this;
the finding  of mammoth bodies, perfectly preserved, in places which have never
thawed from the day they died to this day (and  hence which  could not possibly
support  mammoths)  indicates  the  occurrence  of  something very strange.  If
mammoths were so well adapted to cold weather,  they should  still be  found in
the  arctic;    the  way  to  get  there from Novo Sibirsk is there, in winter.
Finally, it should be obvious to anybody that caribou and deer migrate somewhat
FASTER than  elephants.   A herd  of mammoths  might could survive by migrating
back and forth between Georgia and Maryland, say, but a herd of mammoths trying
to  get  to  Novo  Sibirsk  from  anyplace where they could hope to survive the
winter would not even get there in time to turn back.

              THE LAWS OF PHYSICS AND VELIKOVSKIAN CATASTROPHISM

     If there's any one question we catastrophists get tired of answering, it's
the whole thing about the laws of physics supposedly denying the POSSIBILITY of
any of Velikovsky's  scenarios.    Good  answers  to  this  one  abound  in the
literature and,  the funny thing is, it's the amateurs who have problems;  real
physicists like Einstein or  Robert Bass  have no  such difficulties  with "the
laws of physics".  Bass is a former Rhodes scholar who took his doctorate under
Aurel Wintner in 1955 and  three  years  of  post-doctoral  work  in non-linear
mechanics  under   national  medal  of  science  winner  Solomon  Lefschetz  at
Princeton.  He is credited with the only  dynamical explanation  of Bode's law,
and with  a paper  in the  Summer 1974  issue (#  8) of  Pensee which basically
settled once and for all the whole question  of whether  Velikovsky's scenarios
were "physically possible".  The abstract for the paper reads as follows:

     1) The subtle but fatal flaw in the received opinion regarding the alleged
     immutability of the  planetary  distances  is  the  following inadequately
     recognized fact:   whether or not the solar system is stable in any of the
     senses defined by Laplace, Lagrange, Poisson, or Littlewood,  or is quasi-
     periodic, it need not be orbitally stable.

     2) As  demonstrated in  the text  in considerable  detail, it is perfectly
     possible, according to Newton's  laws  of  dynamics  and  gravitation when
     three or  more bodies are involved, for planets to nearly collide and then
     relax into an apparently stable Bode's law kind of configuration  within a
     relatively short  time;  therefore Velikovsky's historical evidence cannot
     be ignored.

     3) If one started  Venus in  an orbit  lying entirely  between Jupiter and
     Saturn, with  precisely the  appropriate initial position and velocity, it
     would within less than two decades work its way inward into an orbit lying
     entirely  between  the  orbits  of  Mars  and Jupiter.  (This follows from
     observations of the comet Oterma III and the fact that,  in the restricted
     problem of three bodies, the mass of the smallest body is irrelevant.)

     4)  There  is  no  plausible  explanation  for  the anomalous (retrograde)
     rotation of Venus, other than that it originally had prograde spin and was
     later flipped upside-down by a near collision with some other planet.

     5) The  fact that  the spin  rate of  Venus is  now mysteriously locked in
     resonance with the rate of revolution of Venus  relative to  the Earth (so
     that Venus  presents the same face to Earth at every inferior conjunction)
     may provide a dynamical clue as to which planet Venus encountered.

     6) Laplace's theorem  allegedly  proving  stability  of  the  solar system
     (1773) was shown to be fallacious in 1899 by Poincare;  in 1953, dynamical
     astronomer W. M. Smart proved that the maximum interval of  reliability of
     the perturbation  equations of  Laplace and Lagrange was not 10**11 years,
     as stated in 1895 by S. Newcomb, but actually at most a  small multiple of
     10**2 years.

     7) The eminent dynamical astronomer E. W. Brown, in his retiring speech as
     President of the American Astronomical Society  in 1931,  quite explicitly
     stated that  there is  no quantitative reason known to celestial mechanics
     why Mars, Earth, and Venus could not have nearly collided in the past.

     The paper itself amounts to about ten pages of very fine print and I can't
reproduce it  here without getting thrown out of net.origins for cause.  Copies
are probably still available from the BYU physics dept.   If all  else fails, I
could photostat  copies of  this article and send them anyone interested, offer
limited to those with advanced  degrees  in  physics,  astrophysics  etc. since
nobody else would have a prayer of understanding it.
Contact me by UNIX mail if interested.

     In a similar vein, Jeff Sonntag writes:

>    Well, since no experiment has ever shown any relation between gravity
>and electromagnetism, and since many types of magnetic field generating systems
>can reverse their field without affecting the size of the gravity well they
>produce, I'll have to *guess* that the past reversals of the Earth's
>magnetic field were unaccompanied by any changes in its gravitational field.

     That's just  a guess,  Jeff.   Albert Einstein spent the last years of his
life looking for that very connection (the unified field theory), and died with
a copy  of "Worlds  in Collision" open on his desk.  I have always heard rumors
that Velikovsky's theories concerning a historical change in the felt effect of
gravity had something to do with Einstein's interest in this area.

                     MORE ON GLIDING AGAINST THE WIND ETC.

     How many  of you readers know what the three basic kinds of landings for a
sail-plane are?  Good question.  They are:

     1.   The "this county" landing.

     2.   The "next county" landing.

     3.   The "next country" landing.

     For this reason, the wings  and  stabilizers  of  sail-planes  are  of the
"knock-off" variety so as to make the whole thing fit into that other necessity
of sail-planing, the VW micro-bus.  In other words, the whole thing is somewhat
more controllable than hot-air ballooning, but not much more so.  This wouldn't
have helped  the Quetzalcoatlus-Northropi's  children very  much, assuming that
creature  lived  in  our  gravity  and, thus, perforce functioned entirely as a
glider.  Their lives would have depended on their parents  getting back  to the
nest EVERY time, and micro-buses and knock-off wings weren't available.

Note to Pam Pincha-Wagoner on gliding:

You seem to have missed the entire section on pterosaurs in my long "ultrasaur"
article.  Check out Adrian Desmond's  "Hot  Blooded  Dinosaurs",  page  182 and
thereabouts, for more on the limits of size for flying creatures.

                          Scene from the Wizard of Id

Turnkey: "I hear the kings gonna commute your sentence."
Spook in dungeon:  "That's great!"
Turnkey: "They're gonna hang you in the next county."

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Colonel'K) (10/23/85)

Anyone care to nominate Ted Holden for the position
of "Don Black" of net.origins?  At least his arguments
hold together about as well...

			"PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!"

				Scott J. Berry
				ihnp4!hou2g!scott

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (10/24/85)

Ted Holden writes:
>     If there's any one question we catastrophists get tired of answering, it's
>the whole thing about the laws of physics supposedly denying the POSSIBILITY of
> any of Velikovsky's  scenarios.

     I should think you *would* get tired of trying to square all of the
contortions V's scenarios require with known physical laws.  One would almost
expect you to give up and claim that these amazing effects were due to the
operation of hitherto unknown and unsuspected physical laws.
     But maybe I'm being too harsh on Ted.  Even he isn't irrational enough
to suggest something like that.  Or is he?

> >    Well, since no experiment has ever shown any relation between gravity
>>and electromagnetism,and since many types of magnetic field generating systems
> >can reverse their field without affecting the size of the gravity well they
> >produce, I'll have to *guess* that the past reversals of the Earth's
> >magnetic field were unaccompanied by any changes in its gravitational field.
>
>     That's just  a guess,  Jeff.   Albert Einstein spent the last years of his
>life looking for that very connection (the unified field theory), and died with
> a copy  of "Worlds  in Collision" open on his desk.

    Ever heard of slander laws, Ted?

>  I have always heard rumors
>that Velikovsky's theories concerning a historical change in the felt effect of
> gravity had something to do with Einstein's interest in this area.

     Well, there you have it, folks.  He's (apparently) given up on the 'tidal
effects from the immensely larger Saturn sun which the earth orbited closely
about' theory and switched to the 'mysterious unknown forces rumored to have
something to do with unified field theory but which no one knows anything about
or has ever heard of' theory.
     Stay tuned for further developments.
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (pam pincha) (10/24/85)

In article <438@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:

>                                   ELEPHANTS
>
>From Chris Lewis's recent flame:
>
>>No large animals in Siberia Ted?  Ever heard of a Polar bear?  Siberian
>>Tiger?  Caribou?  Arctic wolves?  Reindeer?  Bears?  Has it ever
>>occurred to you that a Woolly Mammoth was woolly precisely because it
>>was COLD?  In fact, they probably couldn't survive long in warmer
>>climates because they would overheat (remember the volume/surface area
>>calculations you were so fond of?)
>
>     My understanding of the basic food chain in the far north is that plankton
>live with no need for warmth,  little fish  eat plankton,  big fish  eat little
>fish, penguins,  seals, and eskimos eat big fish, polar bears and killer whales
>eat all of above except plankton.   Elephants  don't figure  into any  of this;
>the finding  of mammoth bodies, perfectly preserved, in places which have never
>thawed from the day they died to this day (and  hence which  could not possibly
>support  mammoths)  indicates  the  occurrence  of  something very strange.  If
>mammoths were so well adapted to cold weather,  they should  still be  found in
>the  arctic;    the  way  to  get  there from Novo Sibirsk is there, in winter.
>Finally, it should be obvious to anybody that caribou and deer migrate somewhat
>FASTER than  elephants.   A herd  of mammoths  might could survive by migrating
>back and forth between Georgia and Maryland, say, but a herd of mammoths trying
>to  get  to  Novo  Sibirsk  from  anyplace where they could hope to survive the
>winter would not even get there in time to turn back.

At this point I think it would be good for this author to do some basic
research on arctic ecology -- permafrost areas in particular. Note:
These areas do support vegetation during the breif summer months (at
least in the Arctic -- which is what we are discussing for the mega
fauna mentioned didn't live in the Antartic...). To begin with,
permafrost does not stay frozen to the surface year round. The upper
layer melts to various depths during the summer (turning the area into
a marshy mess -- navigatable but wet). This upper layer in many portions
of the arctic will support plant life -- plant life that grows quiclky
and abundantly. Hence the reason for caribou and musk oxen staying in
the area. In tundra areas (a major portion of the arctic area) the
vegatation is even more lush -- and just the sort that the mammoths
liked (it was just such vegetation that was found in their tummys --
not anything remotely tropical...). I don't find the scarce food
argument viable. (For those unfamilar with the Arctic ecology
try checking into the Britannica Encyclopedia - it has an adequate
section on the Arctic, Mammoths and permafrost areas.)

Now as for the New Siberian Islands (Novo Sibirsk), I can only speculate
since I do not know the age of the fossil finds there. If they are of
an age around 15000 to 12000, then winter is the only way they could
have gotten there. These islands are on a part of the continental margin
that may have been emergent at that time and they could have walked.
(North America and Russia were connected by a land bridge during  and
just after the ice ages for the water level was lowered when the ice
sheets tied a good portion of the world's water. Note: the rise and fall
of the oceans in response to these conditions are well documented and
play a big part in the oil companies search for oil. The evidence works
remarkably well.(Look under the reference of Seismic Stratigraphy for
more information -- Peter Vail's works are a good place to start.))

Somehow I still feel that Ted's assumptions are still too uneducated
and lack a certian reliable base. I wish that there were more evidence
for at least going to an ecology text to see what is up in the Arctic
to live off of before relying on memory (I'd also like to see the
references referred to on these.)

>                     MORE ON GLIDING AGAINST THE WIND ETC.
>
>Note to Pam Pincha-Wagoner on gliding:
>
>You seem to have missed the entire section on pterosaurs in my long "ultrasaur"
>article.  Check out Adrian Desmond's  "Hot  Blooded  Dinosaurs",  page  182 and
>thereabouts, for more on the limits of size for flying creatures.

I didn't miss it. I didn't agree with it in your context. There were
such creatures. They were not all the huge size. Most were of a quite
reasonable size that could quite easily fly the way we described.
I'm personally tired of the "I can't believe it could.... therefore
let's totally change nature and the universe to make it fit" argument.
Especially built on the assumption that all previous scientific evidence
is wrong... :-(  The comments I've read so far don't even scratch the
surface of the evidence to the contrary. All I've read is pseudoscience
with little grip on reality. It's a shame. (Small flame.... Sorry)

				P.M.Pincha-Wagener

In article <686@hou2g.UUCP> scott@hou2g.UUCP (Colonel'K) writes:
>Anyone care to nominate Ted Holden for the position
>of "Don Black" of net.origins?  At least his arguments
>hold together about as well...
>

>			"PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!"
>
>				Scott J. Berry
>				ihnp4!hou2g!scott

Sounds good.

It would be nice to get out of this pseudoscience phase and
get into something a little more realistic. Anyone got any
topics?

Anyone heard anything more on the extinction periodicity
that Raup and Sepkoski (1984,Proc.Natl.Acad.Sci.U.A.S.,vol.81,
p.801)?

				P.M.Pincha-Wagener

To paraphrase S.Chase --
"To condem science is to forget the gardens made green by
desalinization of sea water,
while to idealize science is to forget the horrors of
Hiroshima."

In article <438@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:

>     Immanuel Velikovsky  invented  the  "punctuated  equilibria"  notion of
>evolution  (he  called  it  "catastrophic  evolution")  in  1950, and anyone
>interested in this should, by all means, have a copy of "Earth  in Upheaval"
>on his  shelf.

	How do you equate "catatrophic evolution" with "punctuated
equilibria"? The only similarity I see between them is that they both
postulate periods of rapid change alternating with relative stasis.
However, the nature and causes of the rapid change are totally
different in the two "theories". In P.E the change is driven by the
speciatian process itself, and is essentially unrelated to external
events, while Velikovsky's theory is based on periodic global
catastrphes driving the change, with little importance given to
speciation. Under P.E the periods of rapid change are *asynchronous*
between the various lineages, while under Velikovsky's "theory" the
periods of rapid change should be essentially simulataneous among all
life forms.
	Besides which P.E is largely an extension of the ideas of
Ernst Mayr, who started writing in the *40's*, before Velikovsky.

>    Nonetheless,  anyone  who  studies  fossils,
>including  Gould,   has  noticed  the  same  basic  truth  which  Velikovsky
>describes;  that there  simply  ARE  no  intermediate  forms,  and  that the
>changes in  fossil records  going from one geological epoch to another occur
>as if, at each such change,  "a curtain  had been  drawn in  a  play   and a
>complete new cast of characters presented when the curtain was raised again"
>(Velikovsky's words).

	Wrong, this is *not* what Gould, or anyone else, says. There
are many intermediates, but there are often discontinuities in the
chain of intermediates. These discontinuities are *not* restricted to
the epoch boundries, they occur regularly throughout the fossil
record. New forms may appear at almost any point, and old forms my
disappear at almost any point. The epoch boundries are largely
*geological* and represent points of significant climatological or
geophysical change, which are quite naturally associated with an
increased turnover in living species. However these boundries are
*not* by any means sharp, they are usually rather gradual and
indistinct.

>     In like manner, Clube and Napier of the British Royal Observatory, in
>their book "The Cosmic Serpent", report on the  like obvious  fact of global
>catastrophes (obvious  to anyone  who has  read much  in the  way of ancient
>literature) which Velikovsky describes in "Worlds in Collision".

	When was this book published? What are thier backgrounds?

>     It  turns  out,  that  some  of  the  major   "punctuation"  marks  are
>discernable,  and  include  the  disaster  which  Louis  and  Walter Alverez
>postulate as  having ended  the age  of dinosaurs,

	Well, actually this is the only one that has any standing that
I know of, and even it is less certain than you seem to imply. In
particular there is considerable evedence for *gradual* change across
the Cretaceous-Tertiary boundry, including a gradual appearence of new
mammalian forms over the last million or so years of the Cretaceous
and the prior extinction of several dinosaurian groups, well before
the Alvarez Event. In addition it is not yet established that the
various anomolous layers around the world are actually synchronous.
All this suggests to me a gradual ecological shift which had already
grealy reduced the number of dinosaurs followed by a series of
meteoric collisions finishing the job. All in all rather similar to
the extinction of Mammoths by the combimed effects of climatic change
and human hunting(where human hunting takes the part of the meteors).

> as well  as the Noachian
>Deluge, which  most scientists still wrongly regard as a fairy-tale.
	Evidence? Ovid was not a scientist, he was a collector of
stories. Even if he were a scientist, science is a dynamic process and
any studies that long ago would have long since been supercede by more
detailed, recent studies. Give me recent(last 20 years) *scientific*
evidence for a world-wide deluge. Remember, we are learning new
things all the time, much of what we thought we knew even 20 years ago
has been found to be inaccurate. This is why *recent* references are
important, to make sure that the best available data are being used.

>Next Case,  Matt Crawford's article:
>
>     Sorry Matt, but no thinking person could buy this line of reasoning.   The
>cosmologists have at their disposal, as Archimedes would have said, a lever and
>a place on which  to stand  i.e. something  other than  theories to  work with.
>They  have  measurable  distances,  measurable  properties of light, measurable
>radio emissions  etc.  and  sooner  or  later  would  have  arrived  at correct
>conclusions  regarding  the  universe  as  a  whole, with or without geologists
>around.

	What measurable distances?? I am sorry but we have really only
measured the distances to the planets and to the *very nearest* stars,
everything else is conclusion and deduction! You do not seem to
realize just how indirect most astronomical "measurements" are! So
what if we can measure the properties of light, if uniformitarianism
doesn't hold we cannot assume that these properties are the same out
there among the stars and so cannot make any deductions at all. Since
your arguments against geological dating are based on denying
uniformitarianism you arew attacking the basis of astronomical
measurement just as much as geological measurement!

> There are many things which argue against the notion of geologists and
>paleontologists having  a "better  understanding" of anything than cosmologists
>do:  their (paleontologists) gullible acceptance of Piltdown creatures (man and
>chicken),  the  obvious  huge  differences  in  the  ages assigned to things by
>geologists and  anthropologists in  instances in  which the  techniques of both
>disciplines are applicable, ...

	Can you give any *recent* examples of these sorts of things,
remember our techniques are continually being revised and improved.
Or do you really think that astronomers are immune to gross errors
like the that? How about the Cepheid Yardstick fiasco? The distances
estimated by the astronomers were off by a factor of *two* because
they had used the wrong type of Cepheid to calibrate the principle
medium range estimation method, which was based on the period-
luminosity relationship of Cepheid variables(but the *other* type of
Cepheid variables)

>     Finally, consider the true gem of the book  of Isaiah,  chapter 14, verses
>12 through 21, more or less:
>
>     "How art  thou fallen  from heaven,  O Lucifer, son of the morning (light-
>     bearer, morning star)!  How art thou cut down to  the ground,  which didst
>     weaken the  nations....  They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee,
>     and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble,
>     that  did  shake  kingdoms;    That  made  the  world  as a wilderness and
>     destroyed the cities thereof.....
>
>     This was a hymn of thanksgiving for Venus's having finally  settled into a
>stable orbit  which no longer threatened the earth.  Isaiah not an eye-witness?
>You'd better think again.

	Oh really! Well all I can say is you have a very poor
understanding of the scriptures if you can seriously consider tis
explanation! Isaiah was not even talking about a physical event! He is
furthermore talking of a *past* event, I see no evidence in the text
that he claims to have actually witnessed this happening!

>                                   ELEPHANTS
>
>From Chris Lewis's recent flame:
>     My understanding of the basic food chain in the far north is that plankton
>live with no need for warmth,  little fish  eat plankton,  big fish  eat little
>fish, penguins,  seals, and eskimos eat big fish, polar bears and killer whales
>eat all of above except plankton.   Elephants  don't figure  into any  of this;
>the finding  of mammoth bodies, perfectly preserved, in places which have never
>thawed from the day they died to this day (and  hence which  could not possibly
>support  mammoths)  indicates  the  occurrence  of  something very strange.

	You seem to have the Polar Ice Cap confused with the Arctic
Tundra. The food chain you are talking about is the Ice Cap food chain,
not the Tundra food chain, which is based on small shrubs, short
grasses, and hardy sedges, all of which would (and still do) provide
adequate food for large herbivores, including Caribou and *Yak*.

> If
>mammoths were so well adapted to cold weather,  they should  still be  found in
>the  arctic;

	Why? Why shouldn't they become extinct like so many other
animals?

>Finally, it should be obvious to anybody that caribou and deer migrate somewhat
>FASTER than  elephants.   A herd  of mammoths  might could survive by migrating
>back and forth between Georgia and Maryland, say, but a herd of mammoths trying
>to  get  to  Novo  Sibirsk  from  anyplace where they could hope to survive the
>winter would not even get there in time to turn back.

	But why shoiuld they need to migrate? Yak don't! And Reindeer
stay in the Arctic all year round, beeing more nomadic than migratory.
Bison can eat even in deep snow by "burrowing" for the dried graas
beneath the snow, an elephant-like Mammoth could have done this even
easier with its long snout(trunk) and powerful tusks!

>  In other words, the whole thing is somewhat
>more controllable than hot-air ballooning, but not much more so.  This wouldn't
>have helped  the Quetzalcoatlus-Northropi's  children very  much, assuming that
>creature  lived  in  our  gravity  and, thus, perforce functioned entirely as a
>glider.  Their lives would have depended on their parents  getting back  to the
>nest EVERY time, and micro-buses and knock-off wings weren't available.

	PLEASE, noone hase *ever* said they function *entirely* by
gliding. And thier wings were quite capable of withstanding the minor
stresses of the *gentle* flapping necessary to provide full control to
a predominant glider. All you need to do is watch vultures circling
without flapping to realise that they have almost complete control of
where they go. They make very precise *repeated* circles at a
constant altitude, gliding all the while! Pehaps human made fixed-wing
gliders do not have this control, but observation shows that flex-wing
avian gliders *do*.

>You seem to have missed the entire section on pterosaurs in my long "ultrasaur"
>article.  Check out Adrian Desmond's  "Hot  Blooded  Dinosaurs",  page  182 and
>thereabouts, for more on the limits of size for flying creatures.

	And you seem to have missed my discussion on sensationalism in
popular science books to keep the audience interested! Dr Desmond
nowhere *really* claims that these pterosaurs were too large to fly,
he only pretended to do so to catch your eye.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

In article <342@bcsaic.UUCP> pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (pam pincha) writes:

>(For those unfamilar with the Arctic ecology
>try checking into the Britannica Encyclopedia - it has an adequate
>section on the Arctic, Mammoths and permafrost areas.)

	Or try watching a PBS show on the Arctic. A few minutes of
*film* of an arctic tundra should dispell any misconception about how
much food there was!