[net.origins] Human Sacrifice / Why H.L. Mencken thought...

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (11/03/85)

In article <445@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:

>     Now,  in  reality,  I  not  only  am  familiar  with all of the yuppie
								      ^^^^^^
>versions of  mythological interpretation  (Campbell, Eliade  et. al.) which
>Carnes believes  in....

The usual term is "psychological", or "anthropological".

>     These yuppie versions of interpretation generally proceed along what I
>would call "uniformitarian"  lines.    The  authors  specifically  deny any
>possibility  of  catastrophe  myths  being  true  in any literal sense...

What about all the virgin-birth-and-resurrection myths?  Surely those
are literally true as well.  Who is the subject of these myths?

I recently asked for evidence that the myths of the reign of Kronos
actually refer to the *planets* Saturn and Jupiter.  Holden's article
in reply contains no trace of an answer to this question.  Do the
myths about Ares, Aphrodite, and Hermes refer to the doings of the
planets Mars, Venus, and Mercury?  If so, what is the evidence for it?

In any case, thanks to Ted for mentioning the writings of Mircea
Eliade, which provide a magnificent antidote to Velikovskian
interpretations of myth.

>Readers  interested in
>learning more about what the archaic world was actually like (and this kind
>of knowledge WON'T be found in books by Campbell or Eliade) are advised  to
>send a check for $15 to [Kronos, Subscription Dept.].

If readers are interested in learning about prehistory or mythology,
better advice would be to take some courses at a good university.
This is more expensive than a subscription to Kronos, but you get
what you pay for.  I will tout my own university:  within two blocks
of where I sit there is probably more collective knowledge about
mythology, prehistory, anthropology, paleobiology, geophysical
sciences, astronomy, physics, and astrophysics than in almost any
comparable area in the US.  (Eliade, an emeritus professor, lives
about a block from my office.) Maybe I can arrange a guest
lectureship for Holden so he can straighten everyone out.  Seriously,
there is no point in any further responses to Holden's childish and
completely illogical postings.
--
Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes