[net.origins] amateurs

ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) (10/27/85)

Jeff Sonntag writes, in a reply which very clearly shows how much of my
article he actually read, and hence the rather severe limits of his
attention span:

>Ted Holden writes:
>>    If there's any one question we catastrophists get tired of answering, it's
>>the whole thing about the lawsof physics supposedly denying the POSSIBILITY of
>> any of Velikovsky's  scenarios.
>
>     I should think you *would* get tired of trying to square all of the
>contortions V's scenarios require with known physical laws.  One would almost
>expect you to give up and claim that these amazing effects were due to the
>operation of hitherto unknown and unsuspected physical laws.
>     But maybe I'm being too harsh on Ted.  Even he isn't irrational enough
>to suggest something like that.  Or is he?
>>
>> >    Well, since no experiment has ever shown any relation between gravity
>>>and electromagnetism,and since manytypes of magnetic field generating systems
>> >can reverse their field without affecting the size of the gravity well they
>> >produce, I'll have to *guess* that the past reversals of the Earth's
>> >magnetic field were unaccompanied by any changes in its gravitational field.
>>
>>     That's just  a guess,  Jeff.  Albert Einstein spent the last years of his
>>life looking for that very connection (theunified field theory), and died with
>> a copy  of "Worlds  in Collision" open on his desk.
>
>    Ever heard of slander laws, Ted?
>
>>  I have always heard rumors
>>that Velikovsky's theories concerning a historical change inthe felt effect of
>> gravity had something to do with Einstein's interest in this area.
>
>     Well, there you have it, folks.  He's (apparently) given up on the 'tidal
>effects from the immensely larger Saturn sun which the earth orbited closely
>about' theory and switched to the 'mysterious unknown forces rumored to have
>something to do with unified field theory but which no one knows anything about
>or has ever heard of' theory.
>     Stay tuned for further developments.
>--
>Jeff Sonntag
>ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j
>    "Now, I don't believe in doing anything half-way, or in watered-down
>     versions of ANYTHING." - Ted Holden, noted Veliskovskian.

    As I stated in the article, it's the amateurs who have these problems with
the laws of physics....  I probably should have included ASPIRING amateurs like
Sonntag.  I certainly haven't given up my belief in gravity;  the moon causes
tides, Venus which is larger than the moon once caused all hell to break loose
on this planet (as can be read in "Worlds in Collision), and Saturn, even in
it's present state, is much larger than either.  I am simply leaving open the
possibility that forces OTHER than gravity itself may have played a role in
the state of affairs, gravity-wise, which prevailed on this planet prior to
the flood.

    Ever heard of electricity, Sonntag?  It lives in the little holes you
see around the baseboards of houses.......

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (11/04/85)

> Jeff Sonntag writes, in a reply which very clearly shows how much of my
> article he actually read, and hence the rather severe limits of his
> attention span:

(he quotes my entire article, without comments)

>     As I stated in the article, it's the amateurs who have these problems with
> the laws of physics...  I probably should have included ASPIRING amateurs like
> Sonntag.

    "Only amatuers have these problems believing in theories whose underpinnings
are inconsistant with the laws of physics."  What a moron.

>I certainly haven't given up my belief in gravity;  the moon causes
> tides, Venus which is larger than the moon once caused all hell to break loose
> on this planet (as can be read in "Worlds in Collision), and Saturn, even in
> it's present state, is much larger than either.  I am simply leaving open the
> possibility that forces OTHER than gravity itself may have played a role in
> the state of affairs, gravity-wise, which prevailed on this planet prior to
> the flood.

    Not only do you leave open the possibility, your theory *requires* the
assumption that there are other ways of having lighter gravity which are not
as yet even hinted at by current physics, and yet were put into effect by
naturalistic processes in the distant past.  Not really a very *small*
assumption, is it, Ted?

>     Ever heard of electricity, Sonntag?  It lives in the little holes you
> see around the baseboards of houses.......

     Well, that was his entire article.  Two ad hominen attacks, and an
obviously incorrect assertion (that he merely 'leaves open the possibility'
that gravity was magically lighter in the past).  Apparently he's given up
on the idea of explaining *how* gravity was magically lighter.
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j