[net.origins] \"What'd he say Harry??\" \"What'd he say?\"

arndt@squirt.DEC (11/05/85)

Mike Huybensz writes (hysterically):

"Even assuming the Bible is inspired by God, we cannot know God's purpose
 in giving it to us.  Because we cannot understand the purpose, we have no
 way of knowing if God intended us to accept/reject/believe/disbelieve the
 Bible."

 Even assuming Mike wrote the above, we cannot know Mike's purpose in giving
 it to us.  Because we cannot understand the purpose, we have no way of
 knowing if Mike indended us to accept/reject/believe/disbelieve the message!

 I'm afraid the same applies to any reply we can assume Mike will make!

 Come to think of it perhaps it applies to THIS posting - assuming I wrote it.

 Golly, if it WERE ever possible to understand what somebody wrote - just how
 would we go about it??????  But by now no one, following Mike's methodoggy,
 can understand this!!

 There goes the ball game folks . . . . .

 But that's ok because we are still free of 'God', eh?

 Keep flakin' Mike,

 Ken Arndt

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (11/07/85)

In article <1269@decwrl.UUCP> arndt@squirt.DEC writes:
> Mike Huybensz writes (hysterically):
> "Even assuming the Bible is inspired by God, we cannot know God's purpose
>  in giving it to us.  Because we cannot understand the purpose, we have no
>  way of knowing if God intended us to accept/reject/believe/disbelieve the
>  Bible."
>
>  Even assuming Mike wrote the above, we cannot know Mike's purpose in giving
>  it to us.  Because we cannot understand the purpose, we have no way of
>  knowing if Mike indended us to accept/reject/believe/disbelieve the message!
>
>  I'm afraid the same applies to any reply we can assume Mike will make!

Ooops.  This time I can't blame Ken for taking me out of context.  I wrote
it out of context.  I'd just finished an article on maltheism, and my mind
(the one we can't understand :-) was in the wrong context for net.origins.

That paragraph only makes sense as a demonstration of an undesirable
conclusion drawn from an assertion someone else had made in another article.
(Yuck!  Awful number of prepositions....)

Thanks, ever-vigilant watchdog Ken.  Keep me honest, careful, and humble.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh