[net.origins] The human condition/ Part 1

flink@umcp-cs.UUCP (Paul V Torek) (02/28/86)

In article <929@cybvax0.UUCP> mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:
>>Humans have proven to be well adapted: there is more biomass of humans than
>>of any other terrestrial animal, in more environments than any other
>>terrestrial animal.

Are you sure about this?  Surely there are some species of termites with
more biomass than humans!?

--Paul Torek							torek@umich

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (03/03/86)

In article <3386@umcp-cs.UUCP> flink@maryland.UUCP (Paul V Torek) writes:
> In article <929@cybvax0.UUCP> mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:
> >>Humans have proven to be well adapted: there is more biomass of humans than
> >>of any other terrestrial animal, in more environments than any other
> >>terrestrial animal.
>
> Are you sure about this?  Surely there are some species of termites with
> more biomass than humans!?

Sort of embarrassing to admit, since I'm an entomologist on the side, but
you might be right.  I don't have the figures offhand.

However the environment argument still stands unchanged, and there would
only be a very few insect species with more biomass.  All in all, we are a
wildly successful species by these measures.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

In article <3386@umcp-cs.UUCP> flink@maryland.UUCP (Paul V Torek) writes:

>In article <929@cybvax0.UUCP> mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:
>>>Humans have proven to be well adapted: there is more biomass of humans than
>>>of any other terrestrial animal, in more environments than any other
>>>terrestrial animal.
>
>Are you sure about this?  Surely there are some species of termites with
>more biomass than humans!?

	There is really little doubt about it. There may be species of
termites with more *individuals* than humans, and some species may
have more biomass in a *restricted* geographic area than humans have
in the *same* area, but on a global scale there is no way any termite
species could exceed humans in biomass. The only species I can think
of that *might* exceed humans in biomass is the domestic cow! And its
current enormous success is due largely to humans and is thus really
another measure of the success of humans. (After all the in order for
specializing in being *eaten* by humans to be an *advantage* humans
must be successful indeed)
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa